Too Young to Retire

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin smiles, his face lighting up with recognition, "TROUT! Yes, that's the name I was told! He's the man my grandmother told me to find! I must speak with him. Can you tell me where to find him? I will wait a few days, so that the Hand won't be there when I go. I agree with you, kind sir, The Hand sounds very scary, so I will wait to talk with Trout, but I'd at least like to be able to know how to get to his lodge. Could you help me?"

OOC: Random Rolls: 43, 23, 86

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Merin smiles...
Merindell: 41(coerce) + 63(befriend) + 43(d100) = 147
Sheldon rolls his eyes and looks away to stifle a laugh. He mumbles in Amiradthan, "Ne perestaraysya."
Don't over do it.
The priest looks back and forth between the two men. "Slower. Centrin requires thinking."

Once Merindell repeats the pertinent inquiry, the two are informed that Trout lives on the east side of the river, farthest upstream of any dwellings. When the two men eventually decide to find their way up there, it is as easy to locate as expected. The man is well known in town as being friendly and outgoing, especially for a Spiofthest. When the two men get close, he comes out of his cabin and greets them in Centrin. "I understand you were looking to speak with me."

The man is well fit and appears to be about twice the age of either Sheldon or Merin. He is dressed practically and does not appear to be armed.
Merindell: full wellness
Surcoat: 79 - 2 = 77
Tunic: 56
Sheldon: full wellness
A-tunic: 59
Animal:
Cockatrice feathers: 1 pair, (Motility & Cohesion +3)
Cockatrice venom: 2 measures, (toxicity x4)
Jackal Canines: 8 pair: (Strength +3)
Jackal Dew Claws: 7 pair: (Strength +3)
Jackal Hearts: 8: {+strength x 3, +athleticism x 3}
Quillion Quills: 1: (Health +3), {toxicity x4}
Lizard Claws: (Motility & Strength +3)
Ram's Horn: 1, (Will +3)
Spectral Spider Fangs: 1, (Cohesion +4)

Mineral:
Nebulastone: 1, (Confluence +4)
Nightstone: 1, (Adhesion +3)
Slickstone: 1: {- heat x2}
Sulfur: 1 brick, {heat or acidity x4}
Waterstone: 1, (Motility +3)

Ores:
none

Plant:
Mend Leaves: 10 measures, {Mend x2}
Seeds: 2 measures, ??

Discoveries:
modified cave west of Boga City
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP and improves in Markidian by 2%. State nominal actions and intentions. Provided a random roll, or reprint unused rolls.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: It should be noted that Merin has no true intention of waiting for the Hand agent to leave. He simply said that to help give the impression of his non-threatening nature. As soon as he left the priest, he would have proceeded to find Trout's cabin.

Merin nods in greeting, "Greetings. I am Marjeb, and this is Soonborr. We were hoping to talk to you privately. You don't have any guests at the moment, do you? If so, we could come back at a later time."

Merin will watch the man's reaction (as well as his body language in general) very closely, trying to ascertain if he is hiding anything.

MacConnell

Merin... greeting... will watch...
Merindell: 30(observe) + 48(analysis) + 84(d100) = 162
Sheldon quickly realizes, as the two men departed the conversation with the youngish priest, that they would be proceeding, immediately, to locate the man in question. In reply to the response to his original greeting, the man offers no hesitation and makes no undue body movements. He appears genuine.

"Hello, Marjeb and Soonbarr, as you already must know, I am the one called, Trout. I have no guests at this time, but even such would be no bother. I enjoy company."

"You two are not dressed as ones who might be seeking my guidance in some excellent fishing. Perhaps another time on that. Come on up. I have some apple wine. How may I help you?"

As the two men draw closer, the man gestures a universal sign of welcome and turns back to enter his house, beckoning, follow. With the closer proximity and continued scrutiny, both men notice that Trout is not only dressed practically, he is also armed. Weighted, tapered rods of metal are sheathed in various locations about his body. He moves without hinderance or deference to such adornments, indicating that he is long accustomed to their presence.
Animal:

Mineral:

Ores:
none

Plant:

Discoveries:
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provided a random roll.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin nods at Sheldon, indicating that he will follow, "Thank you for your hospitality. Apple wine sounds delightful. Do you make it yourself? Are apple trees common in this region?"

Merin will manipulate waylines to augment his bodily health and immune system responses, just in case the wine isn't what it seems.

79, 70, 91(+82)=173

MacConnell

Merin nods... augment... health...
GM: NOTE: Merindell has chosen to follow the Hermetics path. He cannot augment his bodily abilities. It is, however, a very simple task to make purify the wine, though this will turn it into water.

The man turns back into the house followed by the two friends. The man takes three mugs from a shelf and sets them on the table, filling each from a clay jug that was already on the table. He hands one to each man, then lifts his own saying, "le do shla'inte!"

He then takes a drink. Merindell can only say thanks and hello in Spiofthest, but Sheldon repeats the phrase, being familiar with it as a common expression when taking a drink. He takes a drink from his own mug and turns to Merin, "It means, to your health."

The man then adds in Centrin, "Ah, you speak some Spiofthest."

To which, Sheldon replies, "Only a few phrases."

The man nods, smiling, "How is it I may help you men?"
Animal:

Mineral:

Ores:
none

Plant:

Discoveries:
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provided a random roll. Merindell improves in Spiofthests by 1%.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Speaking in Centrin, since the man initially demonstrated an understanding, Merindell attempts to be a bit coy in broaching the subject of a trained wolf killing people east of town. The man seems genuinely concerned at the description of the previous finding and makes appalled faces at the explained extent of damage.

Sheldon furthers the dialogue by explaining that the wolf was trained and its action under the command of a handler, whom was slain, freeing the wolf to return to a normal behavior in a more natural environment for one so large, asking if Trout had ever seen any of such size.

The man shook his head. "A wolf of that size, like the grizzly bear and elk, really seems more suited to forests on the Windy Coast, beyond the Salmon River. I have not been there for many years."

Finally coming to the point, the two men mention that, being hired to investigate the killings, they had tracked two people to this town and that only Trout and some soldier, being called a Hand of Justice, had been observed to arrive from the east during the appropriate time frame.

Trout nods his head a few times, as if mulling over the wealth of information. "I am glad you came to me directly to inquire of this matter. I am often consulted by those wishing to travel through the wood or inquire of various location less frequented by the younger generation."

"Being a Spiofthest, I do not show such significance in aging, but I will divulge that I am over 50 Cycles. As for the Hand of Justice, these men work for the Cathedral in West Cove. I am not one to be intimidated by some silly superstition or belief system even if of the region's main religion. That soldier asked for my guidance, so I obliged. He left his horse here, as I would not have been able to keep up on foot."
Animal:

Mineral:

Ores:
none

Plant:

Discoveries:
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provided a random roll.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin Replies, "I will be honest with you. Something in my gut tells me that I can trust you. Our real names are Merin and Sheldon, and we believe that the soldier had something to do with the corruption of the wolf and the killing of the workers. His partner was a Kinamin man of about 40 cycles of age, very malevolent, very twisted. We were forced to kill him, so powerful was his hatred, he would not listen to reason. Can you tell us anything about this so-called 'Hand of Justice'?"

61,76,(92+63=155)

MacConnell

Merin replies...
Trout smiles a gives a little laugh. "Oh, you have been mostly honest all along. Now you are being fully forthright. It is quite a noble quality. You two really should consider catching some fish. Let me show you my things."

He beckons the men to follow as he sets down his mug an exits through the back of his house. Obviously expecting compliance to such a simple request, Merindell and Sheldon look at one another before setting down their mugs and following the man out of his house.

There is a small cleared area behind the house, about five strides in diameter, the circumference of which is decorated with various fish traps, throw nets, pole nets, seines, and fishing spears, all hanging from various trees or on ropes between them, except the spears which are in a rack. There is also a fish cleaning table. The man gestures at the two men to stop when they are in about the center of the cleared area, as he walks around and talks about his various supplies.

This seems to be a well-practiced speech. He ends his presentation when standing at the foot of a path that leads upstream. "So Merin and Sheldon, you believe that a Hand of Justice had something to do with the corruption of a dire wolf under the direction of a Kinamin handler?"

He laughs quite heartily. It is a little bit insulting.

"I can assure you that Dgendin captured and trained that wolf all by himself. He spent years working with it, getting it a taste for killing people. Fortunately for you, Enri has already left town. He had something else to do, but how will you ever recognize him from the other five members of the Hand of Justice? They are always masked. No, you petty Benders are out of your depth here. I will see to it that you do not meddle any further."

The man's skin becomes a mottled myriad of browns, making him incredibly difficult to see. Even his hair and clothing changes to match. He laughs again. "Trust me!"
Animal:

Mineral:

Ores:
none

Plant:

Discoveries:
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provided 2 random rolls.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
1st Round: Adrenaline + Attack
2nd Round: Camouflage + Attack
3rd Round: Soak + Attack

Merin gets a vengeful look in his eye, as his expression hardens, and his body begins to vibrate! He then charges Trout without making a sound, no grunt, no yell, no battle cry; it is a silent onslaught.

Hanbo (Called shot: leg): 99(+72 luck) = 171
Other random roll: (?) = 94(+89) = 183

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases