D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G

Guest 7034872

pancakes-prince.gif

Bluebell

Explorer
2. I see the usage of that palette, in combination with an active push towards being 'safe' (no Bikini Chainmail, no brutal violence, no 'edgy'ness and instead pushing to be 'cute') as a way to be as broadly appealing as possible, not for any kind of artistic sake, but to literally be as corporately cynically 'cool', safe, and popular as possible, in a bluntly obvious desire to maximize profits.
This is where we differ, because I see that pink/purple/blue art mostly showing up in either alt art or on products that aren't necessarily meant to have universal appeal. I see that art as less generic because it's made to appeal to more particular audiences. I don't think you're the only person -- particularly the only adult male -- who isn't interested in buying pink and purple books, which is why you're not seeing it on core rulebooks.

That said, I don't disagree that a lot of DnD art is quite generic and overly safe (even though I'm pretty sure we disagree about what generic and safe look like). I would also love to see more distinct art styles distinguishing the different settings.

Scribe

Legend
This is where we differ, because I see that pink/purple/blue art mostly showing up in either alt art or on products that aren't necessarily meant to have universal appeal. I see that art as less generic because it's made to appeal to more particular audiences. I don't think you're the only person -- particularly the only adult male -- who isn't interested in buying pink and purple books, which is why you're not seeing it on core rulebooks.

That said, I don't disagree that a lot of DnD art is quite generic and overly safe (even though I'm pretty sure we disagree about what generic and safe look like). I would also love to see more distinct art styles distinguishing the different settings.
Its again not the issue of Pink/Purple in isolation. Heck, as I look over at my avatar I am seeing some pink/blue/purple going on, and its very clearly part of a genre of music that has gotten me through the last 2 years of utter tedium.

The problem (or shall I make it clear MY problem) is in using that palette:

1. To excess when its clearly identifiable across multiple other settings/genres/medias.
2: In multiple D&D products, instead of keeping it distinct.

Its more than Alternative Covers. You can find it in Witchlight, Strixhaven, and this latest book, and if I wanted to go look I bet its present in Tasha's, and possibly more besides, so its not just the palette which I find (again personally) incorrect to apply to Fantasy, but also that its used across any number of products as a generalization, WHILE ALSO, being central to the visual style of again wildly different properties.

I'm not sure how to articulate it better.

You should not expect forum members or the moderation team to be impartial, fair, or in good faith when it comes to these sorts of debates/discussions/etc. The only difference between a forum member and a moderator is that the latter can ban you.

Enworld is really just an enforced echo-chamber where any serious or spicy debate gets shut down pretty instantly. It is their prerogative, you should just be aware of your environment.

And I say this as someone who thinks you're completely wrong in this debate.
@beancounter I echo this sentiment. And I also think you are completely wrong in this debate. But I support your right to your opinion. I don't ignore any smaller point you might make just because I don't agree with your overall premise. And I extend you the courtesy of making the effort to understand why you might have this opinion, as little as I agree with it. The echo chamber/mob/tribal mentality... it's quite prevalent in this forum. I don't understand why human beings do this. Treat the opinions of others as you would want yours to be treated? Seems like a simple concept to me.

I'd say I'm fine with the changes. I think big change was 2E to 3E, and since then it's been more of a drift than any major changes in art style. 2E still had that old-school look, even quite late on, but also some artists taking risks and being, well expensive-looking artists like DiTerlizzi and Brom. Whereas 3E went for a more straightforward "illustration-y" style, which was definitely more modern, but was less artistically interesting.

My problem with the last twenty years of D&D art-wise has never really been the aesthetic in a broad sense. It's been that most of the art just hasn't been very good technically, nor original, nor even particularly evocative, and I know some people are going to be mad, and WAR defenders will be particularly mad to hear me say that. But may WAR should have been less boring? I dunno. He certainly set the tone for like 20 years of D&D.

That didn't change with 4E, and it hasn't changed with 5E, except where 5E has employed MtG art, which generally isn't like a cut above D&D art, it's like a Zorro Z above D&D art in terms of how evocative it is, how strong some of the pieces are, and so on.

Currently D&D is drifting into a particularly generic "modern fantasy" style that exists solely because there is so much fantasy now, and illustrators have sort of converged on this particular approach, which I've described before. I don't hate it, but it is boring. It's less irritating than some approaches for sure, and closer to the "imagined aesthetic" of most D&D sessions I've been involved in than some styles.

G

Guest 7034872

[...]

The problem (or shall I make it clear MY problem) is in using that palette:

1. To excess when its clearly identifiable across multiple other settings/genres/medias.
2: In multiple D&D products, instead of keeping it distinct.
Ultimately I agree with this, though it does not stick in my craw too much yet. What I would positively dislike is to see the darker elements go away altogether: that'd be a sorry loss, IMO.

As for what the actual change is, I too have trouble finding the words for it. There is something about the color intensity and color saturation of anime that's in more of the more recent art: I do think that's involved. There's also--what? Kind of a more "fanciful" approach to the fantasy elements, I guess. Less dark, less frightful, less foreboding, and more of a "Wee! Lookit me, Ma--I'm riding on a flying unicorn!" I well understand the appeal of such art (and concepts) to today's young customers and have no quarrel with its inclusion: I just don't want it at the exclusion of the art and concepts I love.

I'd say I'm fine with the changes. I think big change was 2E to 3E, and since then it's been more of a drift than any major changes in art style. 2E still had that old-school look, even quite late on, but also some artists taking risks and being, well expensive-looking artists like DiTerlizzi and Brom. Whereas 3E went for a more straightforward "illustration-y" style, which was definitely more modern, but was less artistically interesting.

My problem with the last twenty years of D&D art-wise has never really been the aesthetic in a broad sense. It's been that most of the art just hasn't been very good technically, nor original, nor even particularly evocative, and I know some people are going to be mad, and WAR defenders will be particularly mad to hear me say that. But may WAR should have been less boring? I dunno. He certainly set the tone for like 20 years of D&D.

That didn't change with 4E, and it hasn't changed with 5E, except where 5E has employed MtG art, which generally isn't like a cut above D&D art, it's like a Zorro Z above D&D art in terms of how evocative it is, how strong some of the pieces are, and so on.

Currently D&D is drifting into a particularly generic "modern fantasy" style that exists solely because there is so much fantasy now, and illustrators have sort of converged on this particular approach, which I've described before. I don't hate it, but it is boring. It's less irritating than some approaches for sure, and closer to the "imagined aesthetic" of most D&D sessions I've been involved in than some styles.
That's interesting. I don't want to put you on the spot, but can you give a couple of contrasting examples? Show me what generic modern fantasy looks like vs. old skool art. Show me something concrete from the good old days that doesn't exist today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads