D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That's interesting. I don't want to put you on the spot, but can you give a couple of contrasting examples? Show me what generic modern fantasy looks like vs. old skool art. Show me something concrete from the good old days that doesn't exist today.
Yeah, let me get back on that - the internet is failing really hard on showing me the interior panels of the original PHB 2E art (and no, I don't want the "dragonslayers" piece lol because I don't feel like it's representative). But tomorrow I may be in a position to photograph my 2E PHB. Not the hideous latter-day one either.

G

Guest 7034872

There's part of this too. Even if the art was different, there is a tone, a 'soul' that is communicated by the art, and it is probably antithetical to the setting I would want.
Yeah, I think that's right. Like I said, I don't emotionally even need the D&D "flavor" you and I prefer to predominate: I just don't want it to die.

A lot of those garbs were derived from military uniforms. Everything is connected.
Being influenced by something is not the same thing as representing something in a historically-accurate manner. If the setting in question is supposed to emulate a particular time and place in human history, then worrying about anachronisms makes sense. In an original setting like this, which is in no way intended to represent any actual human culture at any particular time, it doesn't make any sense.

Treat the opinions of others as you would want yours to be treated? Seems like a simple concept to me.
For example, if I posted in a forum what I see a trend in something, and then provide a single example of that thing, I would expect people to ask me for more examples before I could ever be able to convince them that there is a trend. That would absolutely be a reasonable response were I to make such a claim.

For example, if I posted in a forum what I see a trend in something, and then provide a single example of that thing, I would expect people to ask me for more examples before I could ever be able to convince them that there is a trend. That would absolutely be a reasonable response were I to make such a claim.
Well, if that was what was happening here, great. But the truth is, it wasn't anything like you're describing. Look, with honesty, at the tone of the answers that were given to this poster. It was like a swarm of vultures homing in on a dying zebra. It was bizarre to watch. It was a set of people with their own preconceptions attacking en masse a person who was not a part of their herd. Absolutely zero effort to accommodate this person's viewpoint. The polar opposite of intellectualism and seeing the value in all people.

BRayne

Adventurer
12th century? Some of the coolest or most iconic bits of history (entirely subjective, I know) were in other points in history for different cultures, so I feel like a one-size-fits-all approach isn't helpful.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind some (note qualifier) of the art to look more "historical" than just generic fantasy. Though that could get colorful—garishly so, sometimes—so that might not meet the approval of some here.

Hell Plate Armor is an anachronism if we're limiting it to 12th century

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is disingenuous. This poster is not 'debating in bad faith'. His detractors really are though. This post of yours includes you in the latter group.

I'm sure it would be convenient for you if that's what it was, but no. This was just giving some friendly advice short of red text to keep someone from falling afoul of the rules of the place.

Insulting people is not persuasive. Please try a different approach going forward.

I'm sure it would be convenient for you if that's what it was, but no. This was just giving some friendly advice short of red text to keep someone from falling afoul of the rules of the place.

Insulting people is not persuasive. Please try a different approach going forward.
No, that is not what you were doing. You were not giving friendly advice. Insulting people seems to be your modus operandi, actually. Exactly what you are doing now. If you have a genuine counter argument, make it. Save the sanctimoniousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads