• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

Undrave

Legend
Druid's have shield prof, and all you have to do is say "my half-plate is made of Bullete Carapace" and you can wear any medium armor just fine, so they have decent AC.

Magic Initiate is great though, took that for my Booming Blade + Shillelagh Combo and got Identify.

I forgot Druids got shields. With a shield in one hand and a focus in the other you kinda run out of hands for your somatic component if the DM is too strict on that part...

Man, the whole armor thing is so weird... Druids get to use scimitars to hurt other but protecting themselves with a material pulled from the earth is somehow taboo?!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I sent my feedback too. It was significantly better than what I thought it would have been when I first read the UA, but I managed to see more bright sides.

I still included my criticism, especially about allowing to retrain. As well as a few things which I think are a mistake like Crusher technically allowing to hit someone with a sling and move it towards you.

Given that the book in question will include the UA retraining rules, having these Feats offer retraining is appropriate.

Undrave

Legend
Given that the book in question will include the UA retraining rules, having these Feats offer retraining is appropriate.

People get SO bent out of shape about retraining and I just don't get it. No one's gonna complain if your game's grand story has a little bit of retconjuration. I once changed my Cleric into a Bard after playing it in one session after not being satisfied with the build's ability to support my allies. There was a few jokes but the show went on.

Chaosmancer

Legend
People get SO bent out of shape about retraining and I just don't get it. No one's gonna complain if your game's grand story has a little bit of retconjuration. I once changed my Cleric into a Bard after playing it in one session after not being satisfied with the build's ability to support my allies. There was a few jokes but the show went on.

Some people get really, really worried about powergaming. But, yeah, I'm with you, been a lot of retcons in my past.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Some people get really, really worried about powergaming. But, yeah, I'm with you, been a lot of retcons in my past.
I honestly don't get the people who despise powergamers, but that argument is neither here nor there. I don't think it somehow supports powergamers to allow a player who made a mistake to change that. Sometimes the rules are really restrictive and annoying, so maybe when having Devil's Sight at level one might be useful, you may no longer need it due to a magic item or some class feature.

Li Shenron

Legend

It would be better if the feats don't have such text, so that you can allow the feats unamended, whether you use the general retraining rules or not.

Also, they are using the retraining function of Fighting Initiate as a balancing element for the feat, as others have pointed out how numerically the Fighting Style benefit is smaller than average for feats.

Barbarians and Rangers taking GWF
Rangers taking ThrWF (Thrown Weapon Fighting)
Paladins and Rogues taking TWF

I expect an eventual dual wielding Path of the Whirlwind Barbarian so I think that path would give TWF or ThrWF at level 3.

Beyond that, I can't see anyone taking it outside of flavor.
Kensei monks with duelling (and in another thread we discuss how any monk could take advantage of the change your style on level up feature), hexblades with GWF, etc...

And with a deap dive into the accompanying class feature variants UA even more exotic possibilities occur, such as face characters with Superior Technique: Silver Tongue.

I don't think they'd be replacing psionics, but it could be a sign of something being dropped. Honestly, it could be a sign of however you interpret this.
Psionics was certainly planned, and certainly dropped.

But it maybe be that non-psionics feats where always part of the plan, and there is no direct connection.

I should have thought to mention something for Druids. They really don't have a lot of great options for feats or magic items outside of Warcaster
Magic Initiate (Wizard) is great for druids. Booming Shillelagh and a Familiar.

Of the new lot Fey Touched is great: add Misty Step and Hex/Hunter's Mark to your spell list.

I forgot Druids got shields. With a shield in one hand and a focus in the other you kinda run out of hands for your somatic component if the DM is too strict on that part...
A spellcaster must have a hand free to [] hold a spellcasting focus - but it can be the same hand he/she uses to perform somatic components
-PHB

RAW a druid can have a staff in one hand and a shield in the other and freely cast spells or whack someone with Shillelagh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads