• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Walking Dead - it's back! [spoilers]

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Glad me and the wife ain't the only ones that couldn't figure out why they had a bunch of guys with guns with Neegan and all his commanders together and they didn't think to just you know open fire.

Well Rick did at one point and the rest opened up I believe, but somehow they all missed. Rifle fire is TWD is very inaccurate past 15 yards or so, though no aim pistol shots are usually a piece of cake.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My Lord has this show fallen far. Almost nothing makes sense. Characters become as stupid as they need to be in order to push the poor plot forward. Shedding viewers badly apparently but the show runners say it will go for another couple seasons at least.

I’ve been on-board with The Walking Dead until this latest season. I kinda have to agree, that so much of it has been based on characters making bad decisions to create tension and move the plot forward. Sure, people make mistakes, and in a zombie apocalypse people will not be thinking clearly. But when character after character just blunders through episode after episode, it wears thin.

If you can’t come up with a way to have the main story arc span a whole season without this sort of behavior, maybe you need another story arc.

A while back, I saw that the showrunner has deliberately not asked Kirkman how the comic is going to end, because he doesn’t want to spoil it for himself. I think this shows very much in the TV series. You need to know where you’re going to get there.

My Lord has this show fallen far. Almost nothing makes sense. Characters become as stupid as they need to be in order to push the poor plot forward.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A while back, I saw that the showrunner has deliberately not asked Kirkman how the comic is going to end, because he doesn’t want to spoil it for himself. I think this shows very much in the TV series. You need to know where you’re going to get there.

I thought Kirkman said there was no end planned. It’s not a single plot, it’s just an ongoing setting with lots of story arcs. There’s no overarching story arc other than “the world ended”.

I've heard the opposite, albeit that the end is a "get there when I get there" thing. Either way, not having an ending in mind can make for some bad TV - like what happened with Dexter.

I thought Kirkman said there was no end planned. It’s not a single plot, it’s just an ongoing setting with lots of story arcs. There’s no overarching story arc other than “the world ended”.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've heard the opposite, albeit that the end is a "get there when I get there" thing. Either way, not having an ending in mind can make for some bad TV - like what happened with Dexter.

It’s just more the soap opera model. Lots of story arcs, not one big one. It’s not like Doctor Who has an ending in mind, for example.

That's definitely an apt comparison. I think it requires more of an ensemble cast, though. Soaps weave the multitude of plots across different characters and character sets. The Walking Dead definitely has some of that, but the design of brutal deaths means we’re often left with second stringers in place of deceased favorite characters. There’s a reason why so many soap operas have brought countless characters back from seeming death so many times.

It’s just more the soap opera model. Lots of story arcs, not one big one. It’s not like Doctor Who has an ending in mind, for example.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My interest in the show has waned because they're dragging out the war with Negan far, far too long. This current season is especially bad because very little plot advancement happens in each episode. It would have been much more interesting if the war with Negan wrapped in the first episode of this season, then they spent the rest of the season dealing with the fallout from it. As it is this season's just stagnant.

(I haven't watched the mid-season finale episode yet. But I don't think that will change what I said above.)

Mercurius

Legend
I couldn't stop watching this show until the Negan head-bashing scene. Haven't watched it since and it sounds like I haven't missed much.

I feel like the show really started to go off the rails with "Rickchone." Talk about no chemistry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads