What are you playing that is NOT D&D?

The Shaman

First Post
First, thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. It's a good reminder that there is a much larger world of tabletop roleplaying than just Dungeons and Dragons and its clones.

Second, I never answered my own question, so . . .

The last rpg game I refereed was a(n unfortunately) short-lived Traveller campaign. It was a traditional, "We've got a free trader and bills to pay," game, with a doughty crew of five trading their way across a subsector of the old Judges Guild Ley Sector of the Third Imperium. The highlight was carrying a cargo hold full of explosives while simultaneously delivering a ransom to a pirate in order to rescue a captured merchanter crew and avoiding naval security forces who were suspicious of the adventurers. I've started transferring my notes for the campaign to a wiki. I'm seriously considering using the Mythic Game Master Emulator to run a solo campaign; with the amount of random goodness already built into Traveller, this would be amazingly easy to run and provide a fun diversion for those times when other players simply aren't an option.

I'm also preparing a Flashing Blades campaign. I'm in the midst of a career change, so between school and starting a new job with a highly variable schedule, I'm not in a position to commit to running a regular campaign unfortunately. However, we have an active gamer meetup in my area, so I'm may offer one-shots on game-days, maybe whetting a few appetites for a regular game when my schedule settles down a bit.

And my daughter turns six this summer, and my son will be a precocious four, so we may start a family game in the not-to-distant future. My daughter loves princesses and castles, but she also wanted me to draw her a picture of a cave with a monster in it and once told me that she would attack the wicked stepmother-witch in Snow White with a sword, so some D&D may yet be in my future as well.

Remove ads