• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Campaign Setting(s) Do You Want To See in 5E?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I think the question is as much WHY? as WHAT? in terms of settings. Since WotC isn't going to glut the market as they could in 2e, I think that part of the issue is looking at what each setting brings to the table besides just the contents of the world. Especially given how Forgotten Realms has basically finished its work of killing Greyhawk and taking its stuff (between having a lower-magic setting now and now importing Tiamat and the Elemental Evil & Princes over the first APs).

My favorite settings would be Dragonlance and Planescape (which I agree could have Spelljammer included within in with some deft thinking pretty easily). What strikes me is that both map well to sections of the game that the current campaigns of Forgotten Realms doesn't cover as much. While FR is heavily <Combat> in as much as one is either fighting or interacting at small scale with NPCs, Planescape is <Exploration> across the multiverse in each sense of the world (through every facet of space, time, and even philosophy). Meanwhile, reading the Dragonlance novels ("romances" in the classic sense of the word where character relationships affected actions and outcomes across nations) and playing long campaigns that were basically soap operas, I think that that setting runs best as an outlet for <Social> mechanics – even the Mass Battle elements that are so common to DL are as much about morale, leadership, and alliances as actual combat ability of the forces involved.

Other settings like Ravenloft, Eberron, even Mystara, strike me as likewise fodder for being "toolset settings" that feel different in their focuses within the same technical mechanics. And if Epic Levels come into play, I'd rather see it done in something like Birthright tied to the Domain System instead of BIGGER DUNGEONS AND BIGGER ELVES! like in 3.x...

...but that's just my thought, and how I think that settings become both a good tool for home brewers, "settings-hoppers," and dedicated fans of one setting who want to see the 'feel' of their world represented within the mechanics they know alike.

aramis erak

Legend
I think the question is as much WHY? as WHAT? in terms of settings. Since WotC isn't going to glut the market as they could in 2e, I think that part of the issue is looking at what each setting brings to the table besides just the contents of the world. Especially given how Forgotten Realms has basically finished its work of killing Greyhawk and taking its stuff (between having a lower-magic setting now and now importing Tiamat and the Elemental Evil & Princes over the first APs).

That's an excellent question...

Mystara, if used, will be the point to showcase the vibrant range of humans. It historically does so more poignantly than FR or Greyhawk, specifically by having ethnic-specific classes, as well as ethnic bonuses and restrictions to general skills. Plus, the Gaz line was one of the first settings rereleased in PDF when WotC initially launched into PDF, and that due to popular support.

Ravenloft is a compressed setting - each culture is artificially small chunks. It's also the horror rules. And further, it'a staple for a slightly higher "baseline technology level"... mid-to-late renaissance instead of high-medieval.

Eberron deserves reprint, if only because it's a much less medieval feel while still supporting the standard races and classes a place in setting. (Note: I've no interest in it myself, but it's a deserving setting.)

FR and Grayhawk both fill the same vanilla-generic space.

Planescape and Spelljammer both allow bridging between various campaign worlds. Both also have some specific elements of their own.

Spelljammer is also useful for those who don't want to "switch settings" with it, but want flying ships, either with or without space capability. Treasure Planet (disney) was very much a Spelljammer type setting, so the imagery is still vibrant enough for popular release.

I would like to see updated versions of Blackmoor, Dragonlance, Planescap, and Ravenloft.

As far as new settings are concerned, I would like to see the world from Sanderson's Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, etc.).

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
My wishlist is simple (in this order):
Forgotten Realms (a given since it's the official setting)
Greyhawk (where it all started)
Planescape

The Grand User

Explorer
What: Council of Wyrms. Why: Because it's the most likely product that will bring in the dragons as characters rules, which I really, really want.

Other Settings, I can take them or leave them honestly. I certainly steal parts from whatever they make.

JEB

Legend
Eventually, I'd like to see all of them, from Greyhawk to Nerath. Why leave anyone out in the cold?

The ones I'd like to see sooner would be Ravenloft (my favorite, plus horror rules), Planescape (my other favorite, plus planar rules), Eberron (because artificer), and Spelljammer (because awesome), in that order. Al-Qadim, Council of Wyrms, Dark Sun, and Hollow World would all be fun to see sooner, though I don't expect any of those very soon.

Unfortunately, if we go by recent news and Q&As, I wouldn't expect to see anything outside the Forgotten Realms until 2016 at best. (Though I guess there's a slight chance fall 2015's "Wonderland-esque" storyline could pull in Planescape.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A western/steampunk mash-up. Because while something of that sort has existed in other RPGs, it's never been D&D before.

But obviously all the usual ones first.

Remove ads