D&D 5E What Characters And Concepts Are You More Excited About With The New UA?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For some classes. For others, valuable.

For example, monk with the select-a-weapon from UA.

More importantly, people dip class levels for fighting style access.
The monk is can get 1 die step better than they can spread, at the cost of a feat, and then only if variant human. Not a big deal.

As for level 1 dips, so what?

NotAYakk

Legend
The monk is can get 1 die step better than they can spread, at the cost of a feat, and then only if variant human. Not a big deal.
No, they get the weapons and a fighting style. The weapon proficiency isn't a ribbon here.

It isn't worth half a feat (I agree that weapon master is a bad feat), but it isn't a ribbon.
As for level 1 dips, so what?
I'm saying that fighting styles are worth a 1 level dip; that gives a floor on how good they are.

Fighting Style + 4 weapon proficiencies seems more than half a feat for classes that don't get a Fighting style. For classes that do get a fighting style and enough weapon proficiencies, it isn't very good, because fighting styles don't stack very well at this point. (If you include the UA ones, they start stacking better)

Weapon Master
Pick 4 weapons. You are now proficient in those weapons and gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls with them. You also gain a Fighting Style from the Fighter list.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
While I wish that Weapon Master did more than it does, it is a bit underwhelming as a feat, I have used it before in some builds because of flavor/backstory.

Gaining a fighting style would be too much IMO as it is a defining feature of the martial classes. They only ever get one, but people get 5-6 ASI/Feats through their careers. Dunno. That's just my opinion on the fighting style.

I wish that Weapon master did something for people who were already proficient with a weapon, or who gain it through this feat, like the +1 to attack. But a fighting style seems to be too much to me.

While I wish that Weapon Master did more than it does, it is a bit underwhelming as a feat, I have used it before in some builds because of flavor/backstory.

Gaining a fighting style would be too much IMO as it is a defining feature of the martial classes. They only ever get one, but people get 5-6 ASI/Feats through their careers. Dunno. That's just my opinion on the fighting style.

I'd agree more if all the martial classes got a fighting style. It makes sense that most barbarians would be less skilled in the usage of their weapons at level one or two, but by time they reach tier two or three they should have swung their weapon of choice enough times to master it's intricacies as well as a level one fighter.

More generally, feats are not something most characters get until somewhat higher levels, or at least not something they take without making a real sacrifice to their primary stat. I think there is space to say that having fighting styles out of or nearly out of the gate without sacrificing something else is a defining feature of certain martial classes without it stepping on their toes to let it eventually be available to other classes.

Also, the "martial classes only get one in their careers" argument doesn't hold up so much if they can use this very feat to stack up on more. I think it would be cool if all fighters had a non-multiclassing way to acquire additional fighting styles. I like a fighter whose equally deadly with whatever weapon he picks up.

Undrave

Legend

So? Anyone can get Maneuvers with a feat, that's THE defining feature of one subclass.

Also, you can get 2 cantrips and 1 spell through a feat.

Maybe it would have a requirement of being proficient with at least 1 Martial Weapon?

Remove ads