D&D 5E What Characters And Concepts Are You More Excited About With The New UA?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That’s fair. What about a feat that has a Fighting Style choice, and a choice of any 1 tool, weapon, armor, or language? Could be 1 tool, armor, or language, or 2 weapon profs?

Then it’d be useful to any class/build?
Fighters don't need the weapon or armor profs, and outside of thieves tools probably don't care about tool profs either (or languages mostly), but that's a pretty sexy feat for non-fighter types. A style and heavy armor prof is a nice haul IMO. If I were a fighter type I'd rather have an additional style and half an ASI.

Maybe an additional actual skill wouldn't be out of place as the other half, or an option for it, if it were restricted to a sub-list of stuff that seemed suitably martial? (so not arcana or whatever). Survival, Animal Handling, Steath, Intimidation, that sort of thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fighters don't need the weapon or armor profs, and outside of thieves tools probably don't care about tool profs either (or languages mostly), but that's a pretty sexy feat for non-fighter types. A style and heavy armor prof is a nice haul IMO. If I were a fighter type I'd rather have an additional style and half an ASI.

Maybe an additional actual skill wouldn't be out of place as the other half, or an option for it, if it were restricted to a sub-list of stuff that seemed suitably martial? (so not arcana or whatever). Survival, Animal Handling, Steath, Intimidation, that sort of thing.
Our experience of fighters differs, but sure you could go that way too.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm not saying that no one would ever want a tool proficiency, nor that they shouldn't be included, just that it seemed so-so. Maybe a Style, a tool, and a language would be enough, parsed as some kind of overall training whatnot? Not hating, just spitballing. My thought was that my main issue with fighter builds is the lack of skills, not tools, and this seemed like a reasonable place to stick one in.

NotAYakk

Legend
Could, in the meantime, homebrew a replacement to the weapon master feat that adds a Fighting Style, since that feat is nonsensically weak as is.
That would be too good for a half-feat.

Gain proficiency with 4 simple or martial weapons and gain fighting style from (list).

OTOH, note that the UA Paladin and Ranger fighting styles include "gain 2 cantrips". Magic Initiates grants that (from a class of your choice) plus 1 1st level spell 1/day.

But 2 cantrips is, honestly, a weaker choice than most fighting styles to those classes.

Hmm

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Unfortunately you need to be Pact of the Blade to take Eldritch Armor which conflicts with Pact of the Chain requirement fro Gift of the Ever-living Ones. Still that build with either Blade/Eldritch Armor or Chain/Ever-living Ones would be an interesting combination. You can already do the Chain version, Eldritch Armor is a nice addition to Blade pact.

Ya, I realized that when I went to build it. I get confused easily. I just changed Eldritch Armor with Armor of Shadows and sank some into dex. Its unfortuant really, I have several builds I would like Eldritch Armor for instead of Armor of Shadows most are not Pact of the Blade... its a little sad its restricted to blade because I can see the uses. For example, when I made the tank, I decided instead of a melee weapon it will cast sacred flame at point blank because it scales and uses CHA, occasionally clock of flies and sword burst.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That would be too good for a half-feat.

Gain proficiency with 4 simple or martial weapons and gain fighting style from (list).

OTOH, note that the UA Paladin and Ranger fighting styles include "gain 2 cantrips". Magic Initiates grants that (from a class of your choice) plus 1 1st level spell 1/day.

But 2 cantrips is, honestly, a weaker choice than most fighting styles to those classes.

Hmm

I disagree. A few weapon proficiencies is a ribbon.

Pauln6

Hero
Not every feat has to be of equal value to every class. Players have been complaining about wanting a way to get an extra one and then complain that the way to get an extra one doesn't come with enough gravy? I think having three weapon proficiencies OR one skill from the fighter list or one tool proficiency plus the fighting style is fine.

How about if you choose one weapon in which you are already proficient you can intimidate with advantage using strength or dex while wielding that weapon?

Remove ads