D&D 5E What Characters And Concepts Are You More Excited About With The New UA?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Celestial Patron Warlock, Pact of the Chain, Hill Dwarf tank … With Eldritch Armor

Unfortunately you need to be Pact of the Blade to take Eldritch Armor which conflicts with Pact of the Chain requirement fro Gift of the Ever-living Ones. Still that build with either Blade/Eldritch Armor or Chain/Ever-living Ones would be an interesting combination. You can already do the Chain version, Eldritch Armor is a nice addition to Blade pact.

Kurotowa

Legend
Unfortunately you need to be Pact of the Blade to take Eldritch Armor which conflicts with Pact of the Chain requirement fro Gift of the Ever-living Ones. Still that build with either Blade/Eldritch Armor or Chain/Ever-living Ones would be an interesting combination. You can already do the Chain version, Eldritch Armor is a nice addition to Blade pact.

And as was helpfully pointed out in the D&D Beyond video, Eldritch Armor only gives you proficiency with the armor piece. Heavy Armors still have their Min Str requirement to fulfill. In other words, Eldritch Armor exists primarily to enable a Str based Blade Pact character who doesn't go Hexblade.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Have you considered gloomstalker ranger with blindfighting?
bb6f349e0eb028e3ae9fe1ca7e15f2e73ac357e2aa7613836b29bf6f8bf3a46e.jpg

Undrave

Legend
I kind-of want to make a character who combines both fighting styles, so that he can throw all his weapons at the enemy, then rush in and grapple them.

We really a feat that allows you to grab a second fighting style. According to this UA a Fighting style is worth 2 Cantrips. 2 Cantrips and 1 first level spell slot is worth a feat, so a Fighting style feat would probably be a half –feat that gives you +1 to STR or DEX (maybe +1 CON). Call it Martial Initiate I guess.

Would make that concept way easier to build without multi classing shenanigans that dumps Spellcasting on you.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We really a feat that allows you to grab a second fighting style. According to this UA a Fighting style is worth 2 Cantrips. 2 Cantrips and 1 first level spell slot is worth a feat, so a Fighting style feat would probably be a half –feat that gives you +1 to STR or DEX (maybe +1 CON). Call it Martial Initiate I guess.

Would make that concept way easier to build without multi classing shenanigans that dumps Spellcasting on you.

Could, in the meantime, homebrew a replacement to the weapon master feat that adds a Fighting Style, since that feat is nonsensically weak as is.

Undrave

Legend
Could, in the meantime, homebrew a replacement to the weapon master feat that adds a Fighting Style, since that feat is nonsensically weak as is.

Yeah it's been suggested multiple times. That could work too. Though I think the Weapon Master Feat needs to be re-hauled and I think the classes who would benefit from a second fighting style wouldn't get anything from expended weapon proficiency so putting both in a feat is a bad idea.

For Me:

1. Warlock, because they now get animate dead on their spell list, and I've felt for a long while like it's a class that really wants to be a necromancer but can't because it has to wait forever to do any real necromancy. Selling your soul because you dream of becoming a lich king with an undead army makes a lot of character sense, and it has been one I wanted to do for a while. Not necessarily for a long term campaign because an army of pets gets tedious, but next one-shot with level 5 or higher characters I'm definitely going to be tempted.

2. Sorcerer, because they got those alternate ways to use Sorcery points at level 2. None of them are amazing, but Sorcerers now have a slightly less incredibly lame level 2 since they can at least now do something with their sorcery points other than create a single level one spell slot. Even at higher levels being able to cash in sorcery points for a little health adds an extra little dollop of strategic thinking. In any case the first few sorcerer levels are a little less of a slog which makes it much more likely I would play one from start to finish.

3. Ranger, because they finally have level one abilities that makes their level one not just be "a lame fighter with some situational abilities you'll forget before we get a chance to use". Generally there is also more creative space now for a non-stereotypical ranger or ranger multi-class. My urban bounty hunter turned monster hunter will finally come to light.

4. Any character using throwing weapons. Not only has drawing weapons been a limitation, but it also means that every character I've played with throwing weapons I've had to bore everyone by rattling off that I'm drawing a weapon the turn before I intend to throw two. My dagger flinging sword bard may need this.

5. An archer rogue or archer with a rogue dip, because Aim. This would be higher on the list, but it's cheap power-gaming. Also while all the other things I've mentioned have filled holes in the classes, other than giving archers a consistent fallback use for their bonus action this doesn't really do that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah it's been suggested multiple times. That could work too. Though I think the Weapon Master Feat needs to be re-hauled and I think the classes who would benefit from a second fighting style wouldn't get anything from expended weapon proficiency so putting both in a feat is a bad idea.
That’s fair. What about a feat that has a Fighting Style choice, and a choice of any 1 tool, weapon, armor, or language? Could be 1 tool, armor, or language, or 2 weapon profs?

Then it’d be useful to any class/build?

Remove ads