What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching or working on?

Maximum7

Explorer
My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

He comes up with an upgrade to the programming - which is "just a plug-in black box thingy that makes it work" to most people - that increases the screen resolution and clarity. Look at the difference between Vietnam War footage and Reagan's "tear down this wall" speech; the picture is crisper and clearer, you can see more details. However broadcast networks hate him because all their scenery has to be replaced with something better than an Impressionist painting. This improvement can be overwhelmed if the entire scene is in motion, such as a storm-tossed lake, because there is too much data to process.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Swarm based weapons? Refractive invisibility for ships? Cyborg ship pilots? Improved planetary scale power distribution networks? Force field contained metallic hydrogen explosives? Planetary core mining hyperdrive stutter fields?

Thx!
TomB

Maximum7

Explorer
Swarm based weapons? Refractive invisibility for ships? Cyborg ship pilots? Improved planetary scale power distribution networks? Force field contained metallic hydrogen explosives? Planetary core mining hyperdrive stutter fields?

Thx!
TomB

These ideas all sound great but can you explain what the last one is and does? Thanks!!

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Last one is a hyperdrive flight through a planet that stutters the drive for a very brief instant to drop out of hyperspace and scoop up core material the go back into hyperdrive. Need very precise control and a very strong force field to hold the pressurized core material — which is high grade metal ores.

This presumes that you can hyperdrive through matter, which might not work. I don’t know SW hyperdrive genre well enough to answer.

Thx!
TomB

Maximum7

Explorer
Last one is a hyperdrive flight through a planet that stutters the drive for a very brief instant to drop out of hyperspace and scoop up core material the go back into hyperdrive. Need very precise control and a very strong force field to hold the pressurized core material — which is high grade metal ores.

This presumes that you can hyperdrive through matter, which might not work. I don’t know SW hyperdrive genre well enough to answer.

Thx!
TomB

Interesting concept but that would destroy the planet.

Maximum7

Explorer
I’m going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. I’m looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

Zardnaar

Legend

Thx!
TomB

No it wouldn't work but Hans stunt in TFA at Starkiller base would not work in the old EU. New one who knows. Generally you can't hyperspace in gravity wells. Hypothetically maybe if you switch off all the safe guards on the hyper drive system but then you are begging to smack into a planet.

If you stuttered inside the planet for whatever reason the pressure and heat would collapse the shields and ship.

In legends there were experiments in hyperspace weapons and tactics with things like interdictor cruisers which pull ships out of hyperspace with artificial gravity wells.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases