D&D General What D&D reflects today, media wise...

HammerMan

Legend
Or D&D’s mixed model of having both broad and specific classes. 🤷‍♂️
yeah I like the idea that "my fighter can be a knight, my paladin can be a knight... bonus points if both have knightly subclasses, but if there is a great idea for a knight class we can have that too"

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Or D&D’s mixed model of having both broad and specific classes. 🤷‍♂️
Yea, that one I kinda hate. We wouldn't be having questions about "gishes" if fighter didn't eat up so much space. If you had a few broad classes, it would obviously be a multiclass. If you had specific classes, it would probably be a few different classes, since "fights with magic" is pretty broad.

It only causes problems in a game in which "fighter" is super broad but somehow doesn't include "paladin" and "ranger".

Aldarc

Legend
Following a MOBA model of class design (a small suite of scaling bespoke powers available at the beginning of play, upgrades and new powers available via item acquistion, a high level capstone) is unironically a good idea.
It also gives more room for asymmetric design,* unique mechanics, playstyles, etc. that may not fit in more conventional class/subclass structures.

* Slayers RPG is one of the more recent TTRPGs to take a cue from the asymmetric design found in some board games and video games.

I love it in theory, but it does mean you need a lot of classes if you don't want to reduce options.
The MOBAs often start relatively small in terms of its number of heroes and then build slowly from there.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The MOBAs often start relatively small in terms of its number of heroes and then build slowly from there.
Relative to what? According to Google, LoL released with 40 champions, and added many, MANY more over the following years. People tend to lambast 4e for having 25 classes by the end of its life. LoL started with almost double that.

Aldarc

Legend
Relative to what? According to Google, LoL released with 40 champions, and added many, MANY more over the following years.
Relative to how many heroes they have at present.

LoL: 40 compared to 158
Dota 2: 24 compared to 121
HotS: 12 compared to 90
Smite: 17 compared to 118

People tend to lambast 4e for having 25 classes by the end of its life. LoL started with almost double that.
Okay? But we aren't talking of 4e or even D&D really. We have been spit-balling on the idea of a hypothetical other TTRPG that drew inspiration from MOBA hero design.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Okay? But we aren't talking of 4e or even D&D really. We have been spit-balling on the idea of a hypothetical other TTRPG that drew inspiration from MOBA hero design.
Picking on you only because you're the most recent person to mention this in the thread, but:

What the hell is a MOBA?

Remove ads