D&D 5E What House Rules Can You NOT Live Without?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
a flanked creature provokes opportunity attacks from all adjacent enemies when it moves (unless it disengages)
How is this a house-rule? If a creature moves away (without disengaging) it provokes OA from all adjacent enemies RAW, flanking or not.

I'm confused, would you care to elaborate?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I was reminded from someone else's mention above about moving on the diagonal on a grid. I wholeheartedly embraced the 5' (and only 5') move on the diagonal during 4E... (unlike 3E where it was alternating 5' on the first diagonal, 10' on the second)... and still use that movement rule today. Thus quite honestly this might very well make it a "can't live without" house rule, as I have no idea what the 5E rule actually is! LOL!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
How is this a house-rule? If a creature moves away (without disengaging) it provokes OA from all adjacent enemies RAW, flanking or not.

I'm confused, would you care to elaborate?
I think the meant "when it moves" as in moving at all, not necessarily out of threatened areas.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I was reminded from someone else's mention above about moving on the diagonal on a grid. I wholeheartedly embraced the 5' (and only 5') move on the diagonal during 4E... (unlike 3E where it was alternating 5' on the first diagonal, 10' on the second)... and still use that movement rule today. Thus quite honestly this might very well make it a "can't live without" house rule, as I have no idea what the 5E rule actually is! LOL!
That is the standard 5e rule (see PHB p.192). :)

3.5-style movement is offered as an optional rule in the DMG (see DMG p.252).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
That is the standard 5e rule (see PHB p.192). :)

3.5-style movement is offered as an optional rule in the DMG (see DMG p.252).
Heh... yeah, like I said, I was so deadset on keeping that movement measurement that I never even bothered to look up what 5E actually did. I guess the 5E designers agreed that the alternating 5'/10' was unnecessary.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Everyone starts with a Feat at 1st Level. There is no Variant Human.
It's been embraced by my entire friend group, and half the DM's I am close with. Feats are just... fun.
For my next campaign, I’m planning on replacing racial ASIs with 32 point buy with a cap of 16 and a standard array of 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, or 4d6 drop lowest 7 times, keep 6. You can spend 5 points, drop down to the PHB standard array, or roll only 6 scores to start with a Feat. Humans grant +4 points or let you roll 4d6 drop one and you may replace one of your ability scores with the result.

Charlaquin

I’m not a fan of 4e/5e diagonals, personally. I absolutely understand the appeal, and don’t consider the 3e style diagonals a must-have by any means. But it bugs me that 4e/5e diagonals mechanically encourage zig-zag movement.

Charlaquin

For simplicity we just keep diagonals at 5-feet each, but alternating 5/10 isn't hard IMO. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it’s really not a big deal either way, I just don’t like that 5-foot diagonals introduce an element of system mastery into grid movement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases