• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

• 3D6 Per Ability.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)

Votes: 82 43.4%
  • Base + Sliding Scale

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Base + Non-Sliding Scale

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 29.1%

• Poll closed .

pogre

Legend
One of two methods are allowed:
1. Method One -
Choose one of the following arrays:
A. 17, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10 = 32 points
B. 18, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9 = 32 points
C. 16, 16, 14, 11, 10, 9 = 32 points
D. 16, 14, 12, 12, 12, 12 = 32 points

- OR –

2. Method Two –
A. Arrange the following array for characteristics first:
16, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9 = 27 points
B. Choose a Race and apply appropriate modifiers.
C. Roll 6d6 and adjust your characteristics scores as follows:
For every 1 move Strength up 1
For every 2 move Dexterity up 1
For every 3 move Constitution up 1
For every 4 move Intelligence up 1
For every 5 move Wisdom up 1
For every 6 move Charisma up 1
Re-roll any dice that move the character’s abilities over racial starting limits.

jerichothebard

First Post
My DM recently had us do a roll 4d6 x7, reroll 1s, and drop the lowest die in each roll and the lowest roll.

Apparently I was really on with the dice that night, because I wound up with a 72-point equivilant character (based on DMG point buy). Even for such a generous generation method, that's still obscene.

He's dead now - lasted three sessions.

moral: attributes don't mean that much.

That being said, I used a 28-point DMG style buy for my game, and am quite satisfied with the results.

jtb

msd

First Post
Stupid question

I know a number of people have referenced the fact that the point buy system is described in the DMG. Can someone point me to a page as I seem unable to find it?

Thanks in advance,
-matt

Velgost

First Post
wow we're uber!!

Hey all, my DM uses 3d20 keep the highest for each stat. In general it gives pretty good stats (when using the loaded d20 it gives great stats :] ). We have a bunch of fun however so we're not concerned that we may be a little uber, stat wise that is.

BTW I'm joking about the loaded d20, I have never had a loaded d20 not used one. On the other hand I do have loaded d6's.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
msd said:
I know a number of people have referenced the fact that the point buy system is described in the DMG. Can someone point me to a page as I seem unable to find it?
3.5 DMG: 169

My 3.0 DMG is lost somewhere at my sister's house... But it was something like page 19 or 20...

diaglo

Adventurer
D+1 said:
On the contrary. Played every one of the noted editions (unplayed editions were not included as they were not available), though not every generation method was personally used. The commentary, however, was admittedly written in fits of blind, screaming bias and is overdue for a more sensible editorial style.

well then let me correct the blatant error in the OD&D commentary.

the referee rolled the stats.
the person wanting to play a fighting man can. there are no minimum requirements. str 3 and you still qualify. you did note the xp penalty correctly.

you forgot to mention Cha. also Supplement I Greyhawk added a few more important details to stats. but not everyone used the supplements.

a high str did give a bonus to hit in Booklet I.

a low str fighting man was different from a high str fighting man. just as two fighting men of the same str were different. those details were left upto the player to give his PC character.

The_Universe

First Post
I'm running a fairly high powered game. As such, I use 4D6, drop the lowest die (pretty standard). However, the first time I ran 3.0, the first person that rolled up a character rolled a *terrible* set of stats--nothing higher than a 12. Rather than stick him with such crap, I let him keep rolling beyond the standard 6 times until he got a set that were useable. So, now, the standard house stat generation system is 4D6, dropping the lowest 10 times, choosing 5 of the best stats, and 1 below 10.

Recently, we've had a secondary system crop up, culled from the Lone Wolf RPG, I think...

Every stat starts at 8, roll 1D10, and add it to the 8. Arrange freely.

Bigwilly

First Post
4d6 drop lowest - free assign

However, I'm a nice DM and let the players roll two sets of six numbers and choose the one they think is best. Also, one player who was making a new character after the untimely death of his second PC just used one of the arrays with a high of 17 and a low of 8 - or something like that.

Bigwilly

Remove ads