D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Nah, 5e isn’t a half-baked cookie, it’s a cookie intentionally baked with a soft centre, you know, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside!

But I agree with the essence of your post; D&D doesn’t really need much more width but it could use some depth. It is at least relatively shallow throughout the whole thing, so it works as a chewy cookie. But reworking the rules to a uniformly deep system is too much of an undertaking than the effort I’m willing to give (by running a more complete, complex game I mean).

As it is, 5e has the advantage of being digestible without too many glasses of milk, but I would appreciate deeper, more complete subsystems that I can use à la carte, focusing on the themes of my campaign. Like white chocolate chips and macadenian nuts for example.
Your post made me hungry. If that was the intent, congratulations!

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Oh, very cool. We did something similar calling it the "Prologue Level".
Nice!

Going from level 0 to level 1 can feel like a big jump. My system is meant to get you there gradually with lots of downtime interspersed with episodes of adventure.

d24454_modern

Explorer
Alignment mechanics in previous editions seemed to boil down to:
1. If your alignment tag doesn't match with the alignment tag of x item, take damage (or suffer effect).
2. If your alignment tag doesn't match, you can't use this class/item/thing.
3. If you change your alignment tag you lose a level.

It's not like any edition had deep mechanics.
I feel like it’s better than the current system where spells affect creatures based on their type.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
From the game that I'm in, rules for how to run Intimidation. Our Paladin tried to get some bandits to stand down since they would likely end up slaughtered for no reason and we had to take some time to figure out what DCs should be and what those effects would be.

In the end, the GM made the paladin make an Intimidation check against the bandit's Wisdom Save mod +10. He gave advantage on a later check when the bandits started getting slaughtered. It worked, but this was a new GM who had to really think about how to handle the mechanics when this could have been a simple check that kept the momentum of the scene going.

Remove ads