D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

Oofta

Legend
In your analogy, 5E was taken out of the oven too soon for me. They might as well have just served us all the cookie dough without even baking it. Still delicious, though... :)

But, give me the crunchy solid cookie which I have to dip in the milk to eat! :D
I think you'd probably hate it when I make chocolate chip cookies then. :) Much like I prefer a soft cookie, I prefer D&D with a lot of leeway. Besides, a lot of crunch is just artificial fluff, does it matter what the DC for climbing a wall based on material if the DM just decides the material of the wall anyway?

Oofta

Legend
I still think you're attributing to incompetence what should be attributed to choice.i don't know how much game design work you have done, but it is not arbitrary and for sure when you are talking about the D&D team it isn't "lazy." It might not be to your liking (there are quite a few choices I'm not fond of) but suggesting it comes from a lack of skill or intention is a bad look.

They talked about this quite a bit when 5E was released. That, for example, they had very "crunchy" stealth rules all figured out but made the decision to toss them.

Reynard

Legend
I am curious about minions too. Cant you just give them one hit point? Is there something more expansive than that which requires rules mechanics?
In Matt Coville's Flee, Mortals! big fat monster book, he implemented minion rules in which the minions have normal hit points but drop to 0 if they take any damage. It makes sense given their explanation: some spells (like sleep) interact in weird ways when you specifically give minions 1 hit point.

Oofta

Legend
The problem is that even when I think about things I'd like to add, such as mass combat or rules for building keeps and other structures or businesses I remember that even when we had those rules I rarely used them. Heck, I bought Colville's Stronghold Builder's Guide and it's collected dust ever since. 😞

I would probably get more mileage out of more templates for "upgrading" monsters quickly, we have a couple but I'd like more. While I don't want a repeat of skill challenges from 4E an expansion of the chase rules and some ideas on how to run businesses and the like. I want to avoid the "non combat should be handled like combat" feel, but ideas on how to handle the odd cases would be appreciated.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
But bards can cast water breathing... Well, the 5th level and up can at any case, so this might have a similar effect to a prematurely aborted antibiotic treatment; you'll kill all the low level ones, leaving only the strong ones to reproduce! I would reconsider.

Oh I know.

Much like the cockroach, I am quite certain the Bard will outlive all of my righteous attempts to end them.

It's much like the story of the Rain of Colorless Fire. After the Baklunish magi destroyed the mighty Suloise Empire with invisible flame, there was naught left but a vast desert, a Sea of Dust.

As a small group of onlookers gathered at the edge of the former remnants of the Empire, they saw a group of travelers emerge. It was a bunch of troubadours ... bards. The only survivors. Probably because they were already .... lit.

The lesson, as always, is the price of freedom from bards is eternal vigilance. And a can of Raid.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh I know.

Much like the cockroach, I am quite certain the Bard will outlive all of my righteous attempts to end them.

It's much like the story of the Rain of Colorless Fire. After the Baklunish magi destroyed the mighty Suloise Empire with invisible flame, there was naught left but a vast desert, a Sea of Dust.

As a small group of onlookers gathered at the edge of the former remnants of the Empire, they saw a group of travelers emerge. It was a bunch of troubadours ... bards. The only survivors. Probably because they were already .... lit.

The lesson, as always, is the price of freedom from bards is eternal vigilance. And a can of Raid.
I cant wait for the apocalypse so that us bards can inherit the Earth!

Reynard

Legend
The problem is that even when I think about things I'd like to add, such as mass combat or rules for building keeps and other structures or businesses I remember that even when we had those rules I rarely used them. Heck, I bought Colville's Stronghold Builder's Guide and it's collected dust ever since. 😞

I would probably get more mileage out of more templates for "upgrading" monsters quickly, we have a couple but I'd like more. While I don't want a repeat of skill challenges from 4E an expansion of the chase rules and some ideas on how to run businesses and the like. I want to avoid the "non combat should be handled like combat" feel, but ideas on how to handle the odd cases would be appreciated.
I think it is harder to come up with a usable domain management system than it is to fiddle with monster stats and capabilities, so I want the pros to focus on the former.

Oh I know.

I'm a youngin', so learning about the Rain of Colorless Fire made my day. What a sick piece of lore. Thanks!

Remove ads