Which Games Were Most Played On FANTASY GROUNDS In 2015? (Hint: D&D!)

It's no surprise that D&D is the most played game on Fantasy Grounds, seeing as the virtual tabletop platform is the officially licensed VTT for the game. However, it can be interesting looking at the stats for all the other games. Smiteworks has sent along a couple of charts showing the games played on their platform throughout the whole of 2015. That included 136,000 D&D 5th Edition games. Below is the breakdown of the top 25 most popular games. Smiteworks' Doug Davison notes that there were many other games played, but they came to less than 1% in total. Of note following D&D 5E were Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, Savage Worlds, and D&D 4E. In that top 5, only one game (Savage Worlds) is not a flavour of D&D in some way.

It's no surprise that D&D is the most played game on Fantasy Grounds, seeing as the virtual tabletop platform is the officially licensed VTT for the game. However, it can be interesting looking at the stats for all the other games. Smiteworks has sent along a couple of charts showing the games played on their platform throughout the whole of 2015. That included 136,000 D&D 5th Edition games. Below is the breakdown of the top 25 most popular games. Smiteworks' Doug Davison notes that there were many other games played, but they came to less than 1% in total. Of note following D&D 5E were Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, Savage Worlds, and D&D 4E. In that top 5, only one game (Savage Worlds) is not a flavour of D&D in some way.

RulesetUsage2015_12310_image001.png

"CoreRPG" refers to Smiteworks default system-neutral ruleset which folks can use for a variety of games

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

While D&D got that massive boost from FG becoming the official platform for it, it should be noted that Pathfinder did not decrease in response.​

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
3.5 very high in spite of it all. Amazing.

Interesting stats. On that spirit, any reason why ICv2 hasn't posted its Autumn stats for the last trimester of 2015?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Because the period ended 7 days ago. There is usually a few month lag.

Edit:
After further googling, I didn't see the ICv2 Internal Correspondense #89 which would have covered Summer 2015.

Normally that comes out in October, and last year IC #87 for Fall 2014 came out February 20.

Looks like they switched things up moving forward.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/16471/icv2s-internal-correspondence-schedule

ICV2'S 'INTERNAL CORRESPONDENCE' SCHEDULE
For 2016
Posted by ICv2 on December 11, 2009 @ 9:15 am CT

ICv2's Internal Correspondence 2016 Ad Schedule
Iss. # Ship Date Special Issues
#89 27-Jan-16 GAMA Trade Show, ComicsPRO
#90 29-Jun-16 SDCC, Gen Con

Last edited by a moderator:

martinlochsen

Explorer
Looking at the chart, it seems like FG has gotten a massive boost in membership numbers due to gaining the official license for 5e. Insane boost, in fact.

Reinhart

First Post
This seems like slightly flawed methodology or at least terminology. Smite Works is counting the number of "games" run each month, but game is a very vague term here. If they mean games to be "campaigns" then this is problematic because each additional month that a campaign extends into means it gets counted multiple times in the annual aggregate. If they mean games to be "single sessions" then this is less problematic, but makes it hard to estimate how many people are actually participating. Unless, of course "games" means number of people signed in either through host or client sessions, but then we don't have data on how many of them are in the same sessions.

The pie chart proportions will stay roughly the same, of course. What those numbers actually mean will change radically though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Yep, and the number of other games didn't go DOWN while 5e went up, so either more users, or more total games. Very interesting.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
This seems like slightly flawed methodology or at least terminology. Smite Works is counting the number of "games" run each month, but game is a very vague term here. If they mean games to be "campaigns" then this is problematic because each additional month that a campaign extends into means it gets counted multiple times in the annual aggregate. If they mean games to be "single sessions" then this is less problematic, but makes it hard to estimate how many people are actually participating. Unless, of course "games" means number of people signed in either through host or client sessions.

The pie chart proportions will stay roughly the same, of course. What they numbers actually mean will change radically though.

Games mean individual game sessions, and the number of players (not including the DM which is a given) can vary by game from 1 to as many as your outgoing connection can support. I would guess the average is still 4-5 players per DM.

Bloodsausage

First Post
Looking at the chart, it seems like FG has gotten a massive boost in membership numbers due to gaining the official license for 5e. Insane boost, in fact.

I don't think it's just the licensing that's granted an insane boost. It's the fact that they have worked hard to completely port the official WoTC modules into Fantasy Grounds. It lightens the workload for DMs exponentially. For most (myself included) that's even worth the hefty price.

I don't even play a game online. I use FG at the table. It makes everything so much easier.

Of course, none of that would have happened without the licensing.

martinlochsen

Explorer
I don't think it's just the licensing that's granted an insane boost. It's the fact that they have worked hard to completely port the official WoTC modules into Fantasy Grounds. It lightens the workload for DMs exponentially. For most (myself included) that's even worth the hefty price.

I don't even play a game online. I use FG at the table. It makes everything so much easier.

Of course, none of that would have happened without the licensing.

Yeah, but isn't that the case with the other systems they support as well? Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that they deliver a bad product or anything like that. It seems top notch.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads