Which Games Were Most Played On FANTASY GROUNDS In 2015? (Hint: D&D!)

It's no surprise that D&D is the most played game on Fantasy Grounds, seeing as the virtual tabletop platform is the officially licensed VTT for the game. However, it can be interesting looking at the stats for all the other games. Smiteworks has sent along a couple of charts showing the games played on their platform throughout the whole of 2015. That included 136,000 D&D 5th Edition games. Below is the breakdown of the top 25 most popular games. Smiteworks' Doug Davison notes that there were many other games played, but they came to less than 1% in total. Of note following D&D 5E were Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, Savage Worlds, and D&D 4E. In that top 5, only one game (Savage Worlds) is not a flavour of D&D in some way.

It's no surprise that D&D is the most played game on Fantasy Grounds, seeing as the virtual tabletop platform is the officially licensed VTT for the game. However, it can be interesting looking at the stats for all the other games. Smiteworks has sent along a couple of charts showing the games played on their platform throughout the whole of 2015. That included 136,000 D&D 5th Edition games. Below is the breakdown of the top 25 most popular games. Smiteworks' Doug Davison notes that there were many other games played, but they came to less than 1% in total. Of note following D&D 5E were Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, Savage Worlds, and D&D 4E. In that top 5, only one game (Savage Worlds) is not a flavour of D&D in some way.

RulesetUsage2015_12310_image001.png

"CoreRPG" refers to Smiteworks default system-neutral ruleset which folks can use for a variety of games

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

While D&D got that massive boost from FG becoming the official platform for it, it should be noted that Pathfinder did not decrease in response.​

darjr

I crit!
How do you use it at the table? And I wonder what percentage of these games are counted, if you use it ASA reference maybe they don't get counted?

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'd be tempted to use FG for an in person Savage Worlds game just for the combat tracker, but I could also put together images and maps etc.

Nice to see community rulesets like FFG Star Wars getting some good play.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
How do you use it at the table? And I wonder what percentage of these games are counted, if you use it ASA reference maybe they don't get counted?
The easiest way is simply usimg it on a laptop as another reference tool, like a dm screen. A second option is to display just a player session on a TV/monitor on the wall. My choice is going to be a third option. Use a projector to display it on the table like this.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/FJN4B

Bloodsausage

First Post
I use it mostly as a DM reference. For that alone it's worth the money. We use almost exclusively non-grid combat, but for exploration and describing dungeons, I use an HDMI cable and a large TV to show their exploration progress. It's so much smoother than mapping it on paper.

JohnD

First Post
This seems like slightly flawed methodology or at least terminology. Smite Works is counting the number of "games" run each month, but game is a very vague term here. If they mean games to be "campaigns" then this is problematic because each additional month that a campaign extends into means it gets counted multiple times in the annual aggregate. If they mean games to be "single sessions" then this is less problematic, but makes it hard to estimate how many people are actually participating. Unless, of course "games" means number of people signed in either through host or client sessions, but then we don't have data on how many of them are in the same sessions.

The pie chart proportions will stay roughly the same, of course. What those numbers actually mean will change radically though.

I don't see any issue here personally. If you're concerned, I guess ask Smiteworks and the Roll 20 guys the same questions and see what they come back with.

damned

Explorer
Its counting GM sessions not players. If you run your 5e game once during december it got counted once for december. If you run your 5e game 4x in december then it got counted four times for december.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads