• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least. Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Those are all settings. Planescape isn't a true setting. If it contains a lot of player options, I doubt it'd be called Planescape. (What's the difference between planescape and a manual of the planes? Is there one?)

Planescape is a Setting, with characters and locations and the whole kit and kaboodle: what's more, it's a Setting that has been hinted at constantly in the background for the whole edition so far. A book that went into the details explicitly, part player options, part monster manual, part DM options,and Gazateer, is probable eventually. If it is the next book, time will tell.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Planescape was largely about the groups based on Sigil and their literal and philosophical struggles against one another. I think that's what really differentiates it between that and standard D&D planar settings. At the time, it also was novel for allowing low level planar play, although that's a core element of the game since 4E.

Hypothetical model:

• Chapter 1: Player options
  • Chapter 2: The Factions
  • Chapter 3: detailed Sigil & Outlands Gazateer
  • Chapter 4: Adventure material for using the factions and planar material at all levels
  • Chapter 5: Magic loot
  • Chapter 6: all the mosnters

dave2008

Legend
If a subclass is themed around true naming, which is related to demons and devils, that points to a connection to the lower planes. That makes them connected with planescape, it doesn't really matter the setting of the world, because demons and devils are key to planescape.
There was a whole UA that provided additional demon summon spells (I don't remember if that became official) that had no connection to planescape. Because something is related to demons and/or devils doesn't mean it is related to planescape. In addition, if something is related to true names, that doesn't necessarily make it related to planescape either. They can be tools in the tool bag, but you don't need the bag to use those tools.

Last edited:

I think it's Narnian influence. If you want to do the Wood Between Worlds, but without getting a call from the Lewis estate, you move sideways into similar options, like Grossman did in the Magicians novels. Mirrors are even more gameable than random pools of water in the woods (or fountains in plazas) since they're more commonly sprinkled around adventuring environments.
Well, the mirror part gets a lot from Alice as well, and no worries about estates suing as it's in public domain now! And beyond that, Alice gets the whole "through the looking glass" thing from centuries of folk tales on the subject...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There was a whole UA the provided additional demon summon spells (I don't remember if that became official) that had no connection to planescape. Because something is related to demons and/or devils doesn't mean it is related to planescape. In addition, if something is related to true names, that doesn't necessarily make it related to planescape either. They can be tools in the tool bag, but you don't need the bag to use those tools.
See, I interpreted those summoning spells to also go along with Planescape, but I could be wrong.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Hypothetical model:

• Chapter 1: Player options
  • Chapter 2: The Factions
  • Chapter 3: detailed Sigil & Outlands Gazateer
  • Chapter 4: Adventure material for using the factions and planar material at all levels
  • Chapter 5: Magic loot
  • Chapter 6: all the mosnters
Yes, this is likely to be the layout. I do think they'd have a chapter on the outer planes and inner planes, with possible maps, similar to the Avernus map. Maybe a separate chapter for spells, like XGtE had, but they might not have that many.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads