D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

GarrettKP

Explorer
EDIT: Table of Contents leaked, these are the confirmed subclasses:

Ancestral Guardians, Storm Herald, Zealot

College of Swords, College of Glamour, College of Whispers

Forge Domain, Grave Domain

Circle of Dreams, Circle of Shepherds

Cavalier, Arcane Archer, Samurai

Kensei, Drunken Master, Sun Soul

Oath of Conquest, Oath of Redemption

Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, Monster Slayer

Scout, Inquisitive, Swashbuckler, Mastermind

Divine Soul, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcerey

Hexblade, Celestial

War Magic

Last edited:

I liked the hexblade and loved the idea of a pact with a cursed weapon rather than an entity.

The rest... I'm not going to speculate. Even odds my guesses will be wrong. I'd be better off flipping a coin.
I'm sure there'll be multiple ones that were hated here but loved by the larger D&D community and vise versa.

It's hard to say what reviewed well and what didn't, and what reviewed well enough to bother revising. There'll likely be some surprises, with subclasses that reviewed okay and they decided were interesting enough to revise and make work.

GarrettKP

Explorer
I really hoped that Hexblade didn't make the cut...I hated that subclass.

Considering Hexblade is Mike Mearls favorite subclass (as professed in one of their Dungeon Life vidoes) and the fact that the Hexblade's Invocations were included in the revisions, I think Hexblade is one of the safest bets honestly.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Considering Hexblade is Mike Mearls favorite subclass (as professed in one of their Dungeon Life vidoes) and the fact that the Hexblade's Invocations were included in the revisions, I think Hexblade is one of the safest bets honestly.

It needed adjustment, but I didn't see anything inherently wrong with it.

I don't know if I loved hexblade, but I sure loved getting Cha to hit and damage at 1st level without shillelagh shenanigans.

Yes, it was awful. While pact of the blade needs a boost, hexblade was overkill and far too niche.

I actually didn't like the CHA hit thing...I hated that from 4e, too, so it's probably just me.

Remove ads