• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle at Harkon Manor

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=Jareth] Overcome with emotions Rizella asks Jareth to excuse her while she goes to lay down for a moment. The young noble's son properly bids the lady goodbye and leaves her rooms cloak over one arm, the maid shutting the door behind him.

Turning to head towards his room Jareth is stunned to find the silent (and overly large) bodyguard of the baron blocking the hall. "So you had a nice talk with my sister I hope." comes the barons voice from behind the large scarred warrior.

Steeping aside Jareth sees the baron feeblely standing cane in hand and the nurse on the other side. "And you are planning a trip, good, good. But before you go will you do me a favor and tell my brother I wish to speak to him, preferably before he takes in to much mead at the wayhouse. That is where you shall find him, if he isn't bouncing that strumpet you arrived with off his knee. Ha.. hrm.." *cough* *cough*

Waving the nurses attentions away he turns to go the big warrior once again blocking your path.

[sblock=OOC] Really need you with the others as we decide in character on a few things, but your call. I'll give you a hint on Mr. No Personallity NPC Warrior LVL 8 ;) [/sblock][/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=HM]
Jareth nods and bows. “As you wish, Lord Valorn.”

The young man slides past the bodyguard and starts walking to the wayhouse. He sighs as he goes… Now there was absolutely no chance of getting any kind of nap. Dealing with the others… They tended to be long on talking and short on action. The old paladin was a preachy blowhard, the young girl had an acidic tongue, and the sorcerer and farm boy just tended to go around with dumb, placid looks on their faces. They tried what little patience he had…

As he walks, his mind drifts back to his days as a student of Tharivol, watching the half-elf demonstrate the skills of a duskblade, skills Jareth would one day possess. A few sparks dance between his fingers and jump to his chain, coming unbidden to him. He shakes his hand and his head. Soon I will bring them together. Yes, soon, goes through his head. Even now, he is focusing his attention on how one could perform the gestures of spellcasting with a weapon in-hand. How a dusk blade channels
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"That is enough tel'wizen," Vance says after listening to everyone's advice. "Kase, Onesimus take the elf out to the water barrel he could probably use a drink."

The two warriors obey the command this time Onesimus doesn't even hesitate or give a questioning look to Lora, he just follows the orders givin him. "Kase send Robert in also," he adds as the three men reach the door. "Yes my lord."

Stroking Mogins as they wait for the scout to enter, Vance addresses Brend. "Well let's see what the prisoner has told us so far. I think you like playing the evil interrogater a little to much tel'wizen." Brend only smiles at the comment before putting on his gruff face once more.

Robert enters noticing Trinham right away, and then makes his way to the table where all the others are. "Go ahead Marko tells us what he has said so far." Vance listens as Marko repeats the elf's words.

"An attack like the one on the villiage Daven?" Brend asks. "Why they could go around us to Farshaw."

Vance continues to stroke Mogin's seemly lost in thought. He gestures towards the benches around the table, "Sit, sit we will need to make plans for the manor's defenses. Where is this cats owner? The one who had trouble riding this morning."

Robert points to the corner where Trinham was hiding, "There." Robert says off-handly.

[sblock=OOC]
Taking liberty that Marko being NG tells Vance everything (and the truth LOL) And Daven was the ruin viilage where no one was left alive and the helm was found.

{{"Edanea! Nadorhuanrim!"}} - "Humans! Cowardly dogs!"

{{"Auta miqula orqu!"}} - "Go kiss an orc!"

{{"Aa’ menle nauva calen! ar’ ta hwesta e’ ale’quenle!"}} - "No that is mine! You will die by it!"

{{"Mallen pelu e’ n’alaquel en’ sen."}} - "And the hundred like it."

{{"Tanya amin nuquemuva sen llie e dagor, edan!"}} - "Tommorrow this place will be destroyed, human."

{{"Amin lastuva ten' aredhelamin quena hodo! Llie tula mellonea, vasa ni yulna en mereth en min!"}} - "This life is the first givin freely! Will you (mellonea is like calling someone a cur or lout), go to hell murder me then!"

{{"Mereth en min."}} - "Murder me then." [/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora glared at Onesimus with anoyance but did not say anything. This was not something she would disagree with at any rate, and in a simple soldier's mind Vance did outrank her.

"This place will be destroyed by tomorrow."
how very pompous of the Elf

"My Lord Vance does he imply that his Elven comrades will destroy Harkon or these aformentioned Orcs? Is there a large populatoin of the beasts that would be close enough to threaten the manor?" Lora paused and bit her lip in thought.

"Anyway I will need a map of the manor and the surrounding countryside. And you must send men to retrieve all the civilians and house them behind the keep's walls."

Deskjob

First Post
Marko, The Wayhouse

Marko told what he knew and relaxed. Translating had been his role. With his job at an end he now looked forward to working with this unique band of soldiers. Of course, he would assist as best he could.

He approached Loreen and spoke quitely, "My lady I do believe his remark about Orcs was only an insult. You can expect only an elven vanguard during an attack." He took a step back and stood beside the table. An elven assault was terrible news and he awaited further comments from the men-at-arms.

ghostcat

First Post
Watching Vance stroke Mogins, Trinham finds he must evaluate his opinion of him yet again. After all someone who loves cats can't be all bad.

Seeing that he has been discovered, Trinham casually walks over to the table and starts to tickle Mogins under the chin. Although he has a contrite expression on his face, its not clear whether this is because he was eavesdropping or because he was caught.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
"I feel that I should work with the troops that will be mustered against this attack. I will help you if you feel that I may be able to aid you in the planing of this." Claude says keeping his seat and waiting for a response.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Thank you, Lord Grignard." Vance replies with a small nod. Brend grunts and gives Claude an accusing look.

"The villiage should be evacuated to the manor, as the lady suggested, we can man the walls with the extra men from the villiage and have the women tend to the wounded during the attack. They will probably attack tonight a little after midnight, since their eyesight is keen and they will believe us a bed." Brend offers.

"Or we could take the fight to them how many of them did you see camped Robert?" Vance asks the scout.

"About 150 possible 200 but no more than that and no horses," is his reply. "We have 30 men in the villiage we can use, 20 men at arms and the 10 of us. 3-1 odds at best milord." Robert says respectfully.

"Ah but we don't need to attack the body we use the same tactics we were to use on the hydra, we chop of this army's head. Using the men of the villiage and men at arms as a diversion to draw away the bulk of their force while we approach from behind the enemy front line."

"But how to get the Treylor to attack in the morning and not the dead of night?" Brend asks.

{{"Gil'ea"}} "Honor," Vance translates the common elvish word. "We will make the elf go back and tell his commanders that this battle will be over honor and they should meet us on the field of battle or lose {{Gil'ea}}. Come with me and bring the elf's weapons." Vance heads outside with the group in tow. Once outside he says to Marko.

"Marko translate for me, please. What is your name?"

{{Aulin e'llie feit?"}} The elf looks astonished and then seems to tighten his resolve staring at the ground and nothing else. Vance takes the elf's weapons and hands the dagger to Robert, the sword to Marko and the bow to Claude.

"Your weapons are in the hands of your enemy if you wish them back you will meet us on the field at dawn tomorrow. Marko."

{{Llie kwara sina ten'amin et' edanie lle ume i'sul nora lanne'lle calen a'coamin nuive tul're."}}

Seeing the look on the elf's face Vance seems satisfied, "Lord Grignard will you take Marko and Robert and take this Treylor halfway back to his camp. Be careful they may be other scouting groups out." Immediately Robert heads to the stables at a trot to get the horses.

Vance then turns to the others who have been watching the man quietly as he takes charge. "Onesimus and Kase report to the armory to distrubute weapons to the village men, I will have the innkeeper pass the word and they will arrive soon enough. We will prepare for a night assault but I believe their honor will not allow it, we have slapped them this morning and shown we are not afraid to face them. They will await for us to march to them."

As Onesimus and Kase start off Vance turns to the Lora, "Sorry my dear but duty called me away there for a minute, but now I wish to take you to meet someone I believe you will truly like to meet."

He offers his arm to Lora and as an after thought he says, "And you too wizard," speaking to Trinham, "come with us but leave the cat Skazul is allergic."

[sblock=OOC] Whew!! this part was unnesscary for disscussions and comments as the natural leader takes charge and doesn't leave room (or space in post) for debate. But what is to follow the build up until the battle is very important. So we will roleplay a little of the night before the battle and when ready and outfitted we will march to the (big) fight. [/sblock]

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Replying to Vance Trinham says "Yes Mi Lord. But can I bring Mogins up to manor. I don't like the idea of leaving him outside, with raiders about. He can get rid of a few rats for you."

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora eyed Vance's arm with disgust and grabbed her weapon instead.

"You should not risk an attack on the enemy camp this is not a sound plan. The manor is well fortified and they can do little without siege equipment, which will take weeks to build by a force of two hundred men which likely has no engineers with them either. Such a small group is also consisted primarily of warriors - they have no supply train, no smiths or washwomen or cooks."

Lora paused and sighed, but raised her finger when Vance attempted to speak and continued as if teaching a child. "This is a raiding party, a vanguard meant to strike and return, and be swift about their business. The best course of action is to let them fling arrows at the stone battlements of this manor for a while and then give up once their efforts prove fruitless, and return to the main force. They cannot siege us since they are so low in number and likely to have only a few day's rations with them, and this manor has a fortified port leading to the lake i presume, which means that a large force must surround both the keep and the entire length of the lake to cut off our own supplies and raiders. So by staying ready behind the walls the most we would lose are some peasant hovels. In an outright attack we can lose everything if the enemy are prepared and their camp is well organized. You said it yourself, Elves have keen vision. How do you expect to surprise them, with armoured riders no less?"

Remove ads