• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle at Harkon Manor

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora put her hands on her hips and frowned with frustration. She hadn't had the time to evaluate the keep's defenses properly, but if Vance said they can be easiliy breached... But meeting with this Skazul could prove very beneficial - perhaps he was one of the few men with a brain.

"Trinham you are right. But this situation must be carefully evaluated. I will have no deaths to report when we meet up with Martoumum."
Lora pouted as her shoulder wound still throbbed with pain, but said nothing of it. Being a leader was much harder than she had thought, and in her seventeen years of life she had not been in such dynamic situations, and hence she had no experience with them.

"Jareth I will tell you what you missed this morning, but where were you? And where in Sannaya's healing water is Aidan? Has he returned?"

The tall, dark haired shoemaker had said some words of wisdom, but those only irritaded Lora. She did not take kindly to being patronized. Still, the girl could not afford any more outbursts and therefore nodded to Marko and said with a lower tone. "Watch Calude's back and make sure he doesn't lose his life because an Elf broke his nail and the Paladin suddenly felt an urge to help him."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth loses his sneer and purses his lips, not sure how best to phrase his response.

“I was… speaking with Tira. She had news of some importance to me. Then Lady Rizella insisted on speaking with me, over a light repast. As for Aidan, I have no idea where he is. I haven’t seen or heard anything more since this morning.”

Deskjob

First Post
Marko, The Wayhouse

Marko bowed slightly in response to Lora's remarks. He had expected more attitude from the young girl but certainly enjoyed her comment as it was. He troubled himself not to laugh at the thought of broken nails. A woman's perspective to be sure. Truth be told though, Claude's actions were commendable even if hard to understand. Marko doubted the Knight would need anybodies help for such a simple task as baby-sitting. He was just glad to tag along for now, maybe smash something with his shield every now and again.

As a warrior, Marko was delightfully simple. As a husband, Marko had been more complicated. Women had that affect on you I guess. With his wife's passing he enjoyed returning to being simple again. He took this opportunity to excuse himself from the Wayhouse and don his equipment. "A small journey still doth require a small preparation." He may be nothing more than a shoemaker but he could at least try to look like a soldier. He hoped his cousins wouldn't mind him borrowing their horse for another day...

Frozen Messiah

First Post
The tall, dark haired shoemaker had said some words of wisdom, but those only irritaded Lora. She did not take kindly to being patronized. Still, the girl could not afford any more outbursts and therefore nodded to Marko and said with a lower tone. "Watch Calude's back and make sure he doesn't lose his life because an Elf broke his nail and the Paladin suddenly felt an urge to help him."

Claude helped the elf onto Tobias and as he did that he listened to Lora continued mocking of his actions and skills. {I will have to have a word with her at one point, but i have something to do right now and that comes first.} Claude thought to himself as his brow furrowed while he thought.

Once the elf was on Tobias, Claude was able to concentrate on the area around him. He saw that marko was taking to the saddle and this brought him to a better mood with the prospective of some one new to converse with. "So Marko, do you come with us or are you off on another errand for the crown?" Claude said with a smile.

Deskjob

First Post
Marko and Claude

Claude's comment caught him off guard. "...Oh, well hopefully joining you will serve both purposes." He smiled as he played with his saddle. He was a meticulous leatherworker and liked things done right. "I plan on joining you in bringing our foreign friend back to his home. Hopefully he can present Lord Valorn's honor bound reply with all haste." He eyed the saddled elf with suspicion. Had he been a full blooded Paladin, Marko would have no doubt been using Detect Evil at the moment. Sadly such marvelous traits eluded the craftsman and he was left only with his imagination.

"Tell me of your companions here. What do you know of them. I am curious of your previous service to Lord Valorn and the Kingdoms?" He changed the subject. He wanted a second opinion on the company. His eyes could only tell him so much about his new friends.

Last edited:

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Claude's comment caught him off guard. "...Oh, well hopefully joining you will serve both purposes." He smiled as he played with his saddle. He was a meticulous leatherworker and liked things done right. "I plan on joining you in bringing our foreign friend back to his home. Hopefully he can present Lord Valorn's honor bound reply with all haste." He eyed the saddled elf with suspicion. Had he been a full blooded Paladin, Marko would have no doubt been using Detect Evil at the moment. Sadly such marvelous traits eluded the craftsman and he was left only with his imagination.

"Ah, quick of wit and but not lacking respect for authority. For a first impression that is a good one. Yes, indeed, I also hope that the reply is heard" Claude said with a small smile that showed he was at ease at this moment. Claude then caught Marko eyeing the elf and Claude said, "there is no need to worry about him, he is not bad just...on the wrong side. I hold nothing to him, in fact I actually respect his spirit. To be able to hold your interests in mind while being interogated shows a man of great willpower. I believe that he has something to lose and that is the reason why he fights so hard but we will never know will we?" Claude says to Marko as he grabs the riens and begins to walk letting Marko catch up to him.

"Tell me of your companions here. What do you know of them. I am curious of your previous service to Lord Valorn and the Kingdoms?" He changed the subject. He wanted a second opinion on the company. His eyes could only tell him so much about his new friends.

"You surprise me still, asking questions of those that you surround yourself with. I begining to wonder exactly how much of you is really the simple man you appear to be and how much of you is the warrior that you act, you are very interesting." Claude said with a look of mild surprise at the quickness the Marko came to sizing up those around him. "Well, let me see... let us start with Trinham. He is good company and his spellcasting is welcomed but he is not meant for the military. He seemingly has little experience but he is learning quickly. Then there is Jareth, I believe that you got a slight taste of his nature. He is quick to anger and quick to act, he also is quick to judge but he is a skiled combatant with a strange melding of chain and spell. We used to have a boy by the name of Aiden but he has recently left us, he most likely found enough money or a healer for his father."

Claude takes a long breath and then continues, "Then there is our commander, Miss Lora. She is like a fire, passionate, energetic, and if you get to close you will get burnt. Her mind is very impressive, it is always analyzing. We share many different view points on many matters and her hard headedness on these matters does not help it when these issues do come up. She can be your greatest asset or your worst enemy, I have yet to figure out what she is for me." Claude says his eyes not leaving the trail they followed for a moment as he talked.

"Now I have told you much, I will wait on my story till I have heard yours." Claude said his small smile returning to his face.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Party taking the Elf Back...

Robert keeps the pace lesiurely and stays a little ways ahead of Claude and Marko. He carries the rest of the elf's gear in a sack tied to his pommel and the dagger tucked under his belt. As you move again out of the villiage and onto the road you followed that morning he turns and says, "If it's ok with you mi'lord, I believe we should drop him off about two or three miles from their camp." And making his statement he turns back to watching the trees and road.

While Marko and Claude converse the elf sits atop Tobias quietly almost ridgidly, like a prison going to execution. Every now and then he shoots a look to Claude and his bow, his eyes filled with hate.

The group going to the Library...

Vance takes all of what the companions say with interest and nods to Onesimus and Kase to hurry to the armory. Troting the two warriors rush ahead of the group over the bridge to the manor.

"Lord Kyras? You were speaking to your half-sister? That is good everyone needs to bond with their family, and strong ties make the best rope, or some such." Vance says walking along Lora on one side and Jareth on the other. Trinham and Brend bringing up the rear like servants. The group crosses the narrow bridge and start towards the southwest building instead of going through the main keep doors.

"Wizen, maybe you should go to my brother and tell him the news and that I am getting advice from Skazul. Remind him that Harkon's defense is mine to bear and I will not fail. I will not be late for dinner or another session with him this evening. Oh and put the men-at-arms to rotating watches tonight so that they all may get some sleep before the morning."

Saluting Brend marches off through the main keep doors towards the manor. His body language screaming that he would rather chase down the hydra than go give the baron that simple message.

Leading everyone to the door to the square three story building, Vance opens the sturdy wooden door and gestures for everyone to enter. "Mi'lady, mi'lord." he says to Lora and Jareth before cutting in fron of Trinham and entering before him. "Leave the cat outside." he says to Trinham.

...meanwhile in the three story building.

Lurik slams yet another book shut, forgetting the last time, and kicking up another cloud of dusty. "Ah-choo!" he sneezes almost automatically, causing the crow perched on a branch, growing out of a pot,that is sitting on a tall bookcase to ruffle it's feathers and call back out to the young man. "CAW! CAW!" it says accusingly.

An old man sitting in an armchair books stacked up passed his head on all sides of him, looks up and shakes his head. He removes the pipe from between his lips and mumbles, "Hrmph, need to let that darn bird in. Always crying at the windows." He places the book he was reading on top of a stack and fishes around at his feet for another.

Lurik studied the rumpled old man for a minute before taking the book he was trying to read back to the stack where he had got it. The oldmans robe looked slept in his beard could use a combing and how did he keep track of anything in here, there was at least two-hundred or more books and manuscripts and scrolls all up and down one wall. But Skazul had said if Lurik wantd access to any of them he had to put them back excatly where and how (meaning facing the same way, even if that meant upsidedown) he had found them. Already he had found that Skazul meant what he said and the old mages grasp of magic hadn't faltered over the years. But the book on magically theroy should go with the stack of arcane lore Lurik had found not back with a bunch of cookbooks, shouldn't it? Not worrying why he set the tome (Fredon's Divine Light and the Magic Within) back with an assortment of poems, love stories, and other rubbish. At least the tome was rubbish as far as Lurik was concered, maybe that was how he catorgerized things.

Just as he was about to ask Skazul a question, Lurik hears the door open. Odd for it wasn't time for an evening meal to be brought. And doubly surprising is the young attractive girl who comes in with a... 10 foot polearm?? Lurik hardly notices the others moving in behind her as he keeps an eye on the huge weapon.

Gondsman

Explorer
With a short whistle Lurik leans over and allows Cogs to take his place on his shoulder as he eyes the thin woman guide the double her size weapon on her way in. Given the whispers of the servants this had to be order-giver of the recently arrived ragtag group. If the well-gossip had it right she was a wizard of high intellect, a loud mouth, and little practicality in action, he'd have to keep an eye on her all too shapely form, no real sacrifice there. He eyes the group as they proceed, absently stroking Cogs, keeping his expression blank, and waits to find out what brings them to this dark dusty corner of the manor.

[sblock=OOC] hi all, glad to be here, just so you are aware without any digging, Lurik is wearing a mixed-blue scholar/spellcaster robe, has shoulder length brown hair and goatee. Cogs is a Black Footed Ferret. Wish Lurik were the gushy introduce himself to anything that moves type but sadly i need to wait. I was hoping to be the one to get the dramatic entrance, but i can work with this. [/sblock]

Deskjob

First Post
Marko, Babysitting an Elf

The road to the Elven camp...

Marko listens to Claude's remarks. They were very similar it seemed. Warriors of wit and a mind to keep your thoughts reserved. He seemed much more open then Marko too. Perhaps his confidence in his faith gave him strength in his speech and actions. Admirable to be sure, but trouble if offensive. No matter.

"I have little to tell and it may be a sad story. My young wife passed away a few years ago. I have persevered ever since in my work and craftsmanship but I felt a higher calling was required. This call to arms shall be a much needed reprieve for me and my grieving." He followed Robert and nods his agreement to the mans suggestion. Marko would prefer to leave the elf here and let him run back. But without a weapon their messenger could suffer an ill fate. That would mean no message to deliver and no chance for a daylight defense.

"I hope to retire victorious from this conflict and a wealthier man indeed. Perhaps when that time has come I can regain my fervor for life again. I could wed again but my heart forbids it." He smiled as he lifted his head to the Sun. "..But the night is darkest just before the dawn of day. And, I believe that with all my heart Sir Claude, with all my heart."

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora had entered the building deep in thought. What did Vance mean when he adressed the scrawny redhead as m'lord? Surely, Lora was a m'lady simply by virtue of her being an actual female, rather than being a nobleborn lady. But Vance had shown that he does not respect those men who are far beneath him. He was not obscene, but simply knew what his noble birth offered and took it in full force. For Vance Valorn to show respect to Jareth, there must have been something else. Something that Lora did not know, and the girl hated not knowing something.

"You and I will have to talk later, my lord." Lora whispered to Jareth as the group entered what seemed to be a library. The stale air with the familiar scent of old leather bound tomes, the ever present dust in the air, and the smell of the century old wooden furniture made the girl reminesce of Mirella and her small cottage, and the years spent as the witch's apprentice.

Lora's large blue eyes darted across the room with rapid, frantic motions, catching detail after detail for her very visually attuned artist's memory. There was a pompous looking man just standing next to a book case, throwing a greasy stare at Lora's chest and simoltaneously gawking at the glaive resting on the girl's shoulder. This required some impressive skills in staring, Lora noted in her mind. She also curled her lips, as she usually did, but threw a sideways glance at Vance.

The young defender of Harkon Manor seemed the type to get jealous if other men looked at his... lady. Lora hid the amusement she felt and simply ignored the unfamilliar man. There was also a venerable, white bearded man sitting in an armchair, no doubt the Skazul Lora had heard about. He reminded her of Mirella, although the voloptious thirty one year old witch far surpassed this aged man in looks, yet both exuded this strange calmness and aura of wisdom.

Lora's eyes darted at the nearest bookshelf - a red, cloth wrapped tome, thicker than the girl's extended palm. With gold letters it said "Summoning, gating and astral travel - Falagar's guide to the planes and their denizens." - this was a very rare tome, a first copy of the original. Lora could tell - Mirella had the same one, although she would never consent to letting her young apprentice read it. The girl gasped and touched the book with awe, forgetting the others around her for a moment. "Only four are rumored to be still in existence - Lora mumbled to herself mostly. - impressive."

Remove ads