D&D 5E A 5e OGL isn't going to cause another Pathfinder scenario and here's why

Gundark

Explorer
I've seen lots of comments lately about 5e and the possibility that it may go OGL especially that if 5e goes OGL then another Pathfinder like situation will arise (Pathfinder 2….the revenge!!!). I'm personally of the belief that the OGL was only one factor in all of this, there were many other factors that laid the ground work for Paizo and Pathfinder to take off like it did. I've been noodling this of late and I like to discuss them.

#1. The OGL. This gets blamed a lot for Pathfinders rise and the "failure" of 4e. While I believe that it does play a role, it's not the only and especially not the main culprit. There were other OGL games that were released around in the late 3e/ early 4e eras. Paizo has done a remarkable job of taking a game, re-branding it and re-selling it, however there were other innovative games being released around this time. Fantasycraft/crafty games took d20 and really did some amazing innovative work with the system, yet it remains a game that barely anyone knows about or even plays it. Despite it being a great ground breaking game, it did nothing to dent the D&D juggernaut. So while the OGL allowed Pazio to release Pathfinder, without other factors at play Pathfinder would have been just another Arcana Unleashed/Iron Heroes/Fantasycraft and we wouldn't be talking about it today.

#2. D&D 3.5. 3rd edition was released in 2000. 3 years later D&D 3.5 was released and this caused lash back. My home group complained about the change, and I know of others that refused to switch over at all. There were lots of complaints on the message boards (this one and others). I was looking forward to the release of a 3 party campaign setting (Iron Kingdoms) that got pushed back, this disrupted the schedules of lots of publishers who had to change their release schedule. I remember that in the case of the Iron Kingdoms the book was delayed a year or so longer, and people blamed WotC for the delay. Thus the "edition turn over" fatigue began here and gave others the impression that WotC was only interested in the all mighty dollar rather than listening to the fan base. So when in 2007 when WotC announces that 4e is on the way it was seen by some as a money grab and not a necessary change(remember 4e being referred to as 4$).

#3. Dungeon and Dragon Magazine. This was the first time that I had ever heard of Paizo. They gained a lot of "cred" with the community. I had my FLGS bring in Dungeon constantly and enjoyed a lot of adventures. Ironically it was one of their adventure paths (Age of Worms) that turned me off of 3.5 for good. Anyhow WotC cancels the magazines with the plans to bring them in house and part of their digital initiative and the community flips even more against WotC. There are still people to this day that have sworn off any WotC product because of this. Paizo comes out of this with a big PR boost and sets up the Pathfinder APs to come out a short time later.

#4. The GSL. I honestly think that if WotC had their GSL ready to go and in Paizo's hands (along with early access to 4e) the moment that they pulled Dungeon and Dragon from Paizo we might not have seen a Pathfinder. But a lot of us know this story, they GSL was delayed and delayed and when it came out we saw a licence that many refused to go with. Although some publishers where willing and went forward a lot didn't for fear that WotC could pull it at any time (ghosts of 3.5 rears its head). Interesting enough 4e has been declared "finished" and 5e is here and the GSL is still a valid thing (I think).

#5. The “it doesn’t feel like D&D”/ The Edition Wars. This one is complicated and in theory could take a whole ton of discussion. For me, I never once thought that 4e didn’t feel like D&D. There are others that feel the same. However….a lot of others felt different about all of this, from Chris Pramas referring to 4e like a “CCG” to others crying the now famous “it’s a MMO” tagline. The edition wars were ugly, I myself picked up the sword to fight to fight in them. I really believe that the previous points really set the stage for them though. The edition wars weren’t just fought by fans, a lot of publishers unwitting or not so unwittingly fanned these flames….so yeah there is some blame to dish around. While I believe that 4e is a good game and designed well we saw a lot of people that packed up and either went to Pathfinder, back to 3rd, OSR, or another game system altogether. I knew of a game more than one game group that packed up and left for Pathfinder. I should also mention that Paizo apparently has a really good living campaign.

So while there are other factors that I haven’t mentioned. I think that these are the main reasons why we saw Pathfinder become what it has and why I don’t think we’ll see another “Pathfinder” if 5e goes OGL. The Pathfinder phenomenon was a perfect storm of all the right elements.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the main 3 factors were.

1. The back lash against 4E and the populartiy of the 3E system.
2. Dragon and Dungeon Magazine. Paizo got a lot of cred form these, more importantly Paizo has said they got 66% of the subscribers to sign up for Pathfinder Chronicles which at the time were 3.5. The subscribers provided the initial funds to keep Paizo going. Lisa indicated they needed around 1/3rd or a half of the subscribers to stay viable in the Paizo retrospective.

3. The OGL. As you said there were other 3.5 OGL publishers Paizo was only 1. They had quality adventures and reputation/goodwill from Dragon and Dungeon, and they had the subscriber lists assets no other OGL company had.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How is this a different thread from the other one? I am trying to see a different perspective here, and I am failing to see it.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I agree with you on all 5 points. But nothing prevents Wizards from bungling things up with similar mistakes. All that's needed is a major 3rd party publisher to earn broad fan respect, Wizards to alienate fans again, and a 6e that's not what many players want. I doubt we'd see a 6e like that anytime soon, and I like to think Wizards learned their lesson, but you never know.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The original thread was about the possibility of a 5e OGL. This was how I think there won't be another Pathfinder

Right but that topic was raised multiple times in that thread...using the same argument you're using. Wasn't it?

The reason I am asking is because the other thread became a massive edition war. And then just as it was finally calming down...you seem to be re-starting the very thing the edition warring was about, in another thread, with the same arguments that exacerbated the edition war.

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe there is a different point being made here, that's not about to cause another edition war. That's why I am asking. I'm tired, maybe I am misinterpreting your point?

Edit - You know what, it doesn't matter. You think a second thread on this issue is warranted, OK what do I care. I was just confused as to what the point was. But...I don't need to understand I suppose.

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think the lesson is: if you use the OGL for one edition, you must use it for the next edition.

If WotC had used the OGL for 4E from the start, Paizo may have gone 4E. All the 3PPs were lining up to use 4E. Then delays happened. Then the GSL happened.

Crothian

First Post
The reason is there is not one set up to take advantage of 4e. At the time Paizo was a popular company that had a large fan base of 3e fans. There is no one in the 4e 3pp remotely close to what Paizo was. So even if everything was ripe for it there is no one out there that could take advantage of it.

delericho

Legend
2. Dragon and Dungeon Magazine. Paizo got a lot of cred form these, more importantly Paizo has said they got 66% of the subscribers to sign up for Pathfinder Chronicles which at the time were 3.5. The subscribers provided the initial funds to keep Paizo going. Lisa indicated they needed around 1/3rd or a half of the subscribers to stay viable in the Paizo retrospective.

As far as I can see, this is the decisive factor. Because Paizo had access to the thousands of Dragon subscribers, they had a massive leg-up on the competition. Without that, I doubt Pathfinder could have succeeded.

And because of that, I don't see how a "second Pathfinder" could come about - nobody else gets to start with that in-built market. More likely, IMO, is that if 5e does indeed go OGL then Paizo might adapt some of the more popular mechanics for the second edition of Pathfinder, if and when that comes about.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases