• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

GROMkill

First Post
Takahaan grunts angrily as he struggles against the tough, rope-like webs. Tearing himself free, he realizes that, in his struggle, he has taken his focus off the spiders, losing sight of them. Readying his blade and spreading his feet, he stands at attention, ready to strike at the first sight of spider scum.
[sblock=Takahaan's Actions]Standard: Ready Intuitive Strike to activate if a spider comes within melee range of Takahaan.

Move: No action taken

Minor: No action taken

Saving Throw Roll:1d20=13. Success! Takahaan has broken free from his web-prison.
[/sblock][sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 1
Initiative: +2
Passive Perception: 9
Passive Insight: 10
Senses: Normal

AC:17
Fort:15
Reflex:13
Will:15
HP:9/24
Bloodied:12
Surge Value:7
Surges left:4/8
Action Points: 1
Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike

Dragon Breath [x]
Inspiring Word [x]
Vengeance Is Mine[x]

Lamb to the Slaughter[][/sblock]

twilsemail

First Post
OOC: So, Brainclouds you say? I don't think I've rolled higher than a 3 on a perception check...

"Spread out men, they have to show themselves eventually." The Irregulars fan out through the woods waiting for an opportune moment to strike. The Captain leans over to Hu Li and whispers, "We are sure there are still some left, correct? I can't see a blasted thing from down here."

[sblock=actions]
Minor: Perception check.
Move: Wild Shape to not-beast form
Standard: Ready Grasping Tide to attack second visible enemy within range.
+4 vs. Fort; damage = dead minion

[sblock=Dartmoor Irregulars] Dartmoor Irregulars – Piskie Swarm (Druid) 1
Passive Insight: 13, Passive Perception: 18
AC:16 Fort:13 Ref:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:28/28, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges Left: 8/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used

Powers:
Grasping Tide
Grasping Claws
Swarming Locusts
Scattered Form
Summon Giant Toad
Fiddlin’ Grig
Conditions:
Notes: -3 damage from melee/ranged attacks in Beast Form
[/sblock] [/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
OOC: Just about to run out the door to a work dinner. SO just a quick hi to everyone, I'm going to be your new recruit :) . Let me know how/when you want me to jump in etc. mewness. I'll get up to speed on the adventure and be ready to jump in by tomorrow night!

Mewness

First Post
Two little spiders pop up from their hiding places. Noriaki charges over the top of the undergrowth in a screaming howl of wind and cuts one apart with his sword. The other is set upon by the Irregulars, but it eludes them, and they hear it scuttling rapidly away through the thick vegetation. The jungle falls silent again.

Gelik gets to his feet, groaning. Sasha runs up to Noriaki and stares in amazement at the way the wind whips his hair around even though there doesn’t appear to be any wind blowing on anyone else. Aerys, Ishirou, Jade, and Alkas approach the webs cautiously.

In the thickest part of the web the adventurers find a large object bundled up in silk strands. To their surprise, a muffled cry for help emanates from the bundle. The silk proves easy to unwind, coming off in long, wide strands that are stronger and finer than any cloth made by human hand.

[sblock=actions and rolls]Spitter 5 pops up in M21 and is charged by Noriaki: readied howling strike vs AC (+1 charge, -2 concealment), spitter 5
19(1d20) +7 +1 -2 = 25
. Squish.

Spitter 1 pops up in D11 and is set upon by the Irregulars: readied grasping tide vs Fort, Spitter 1
3(1d20) +4 = 7
miss.

Spitter 1 spits at Takahaan: poison spit vs AC (+2 CA)
2(1d20) +9 +2 = 13
, miss.

Spitter 1 then runs away and tries to hide: 20(1d20) +10 -5 = 25. Looks like it’s going to escape with that amazing running stealth check, so I’ll just assume that it does. Fight over![/sblock]

[sblock=Prisoner]In the grand old tradition of parties’ finding a prisoner and immediately recognizing the flashing “PC” sign floating over his head, you find Kane wrapped up in the web.

Kane starts down two healing surges owing to the spiders' ill-usage.

Alkas will henceforth be treated as an NPC.[/sblock]
[sblock=Treasure!]Those long pieces of spider silk look pretty damn fine.

Hide battle harness +1 (L4 item; fluffed as a spider silk sash)--Noriaki
Cloak of resistance +1 (L2 item; fluffed as a spider silk sash)--Takahaan[/sblock]

[sblock=status]PCs
Castile HP 27/33; surges 8/13
Dartmoor HP 18/28; surges 8/10
Hú Lí HP 24/24; surges 6/8
Kane HP 28/28; surges 8/10
Noriaki HP 14/27; surges 2/9
Takahaan HP 9/24; surges 3/8; bloodied

NPCs
Aerys (A17) HP 24/29; surges 9/11
Alkas (A18) HP 35/35; surges 10/13
Gelik HP 6/22; surges 3/6, bloodied
Ishirou HP 19/24; surges 5/7
Jade HP 28/28; surges 6/10
Sasha HP 18/23; surges 4/6

Bad Guys
Jumping Spider dead
Spiderling Swarms 1, 2 dead
Spitters 2, 3, 4, 5 dead
Spitters 1 fled
[/sblock]
[sblock=Map, time, etc.]North is up.

A: Where the lobster fiends attacked.
B: Wreck of the Jenivere
C: Where you are now.

It is now about 3 pm.[/sblock]

[sblock=Introduction for Kane]You’ve heard of Smuggler’s Shiv: The island’s rocky coast is famed for wrecking ships, and people say that it’s haunted. It seems to move faster than other islands in the Seas, sometimes turning up in unexpected places, which makes it truly dangerous. Sailors everywhere curse its name and believe that people lost in its waters never return.

Your most recent sea voyage was a disaster. Your ship came right up upon Smuggler’s Shiv in a fog, nobody realizing it until far too late. With the deck breaking up under you, you attempted a flight spell that you had once tried to learn but never mastered. It worked, sort of: you took flight, but could not control your movement. You soared higher and higher, high enough to be over the rocky cliffs of the island--and then you plummeted. You were injured by the fall, but you were at least on dry land.

It took a while for your injuries to mend. Fortunately, fresh water turned out not to be a problem, as it rains every day on this island in the late afternoon--a real downpour. In the past couple of days you’ve been well enough to start exploring. Unfortunately, you got jumped by an enormous spider this morning....

[sblock=Map and ooc stuff]If you want to fill in other details about where your ship was going or what you were doing, feel free.

I’ve given Kane his own map. It overlaps a bit with the map the rest of the PCs are using, and I’ll join them up once you all start comparing notes. Note that all of the coast is actually rocky cliffs except for the bit around the A area, which is actual beach. North is up. The distance between points D1 and A is only about 4 miles as the crow flies, but the jungle is very thick and the ground very uneven, so it takes a long time to walk anywhere.

ShivMap3K.jpg

Relevant stuff:

A: A bit of beach.
B: This is the wreck of the Jenivere (the ship the other characters arrived on). It hasn’t been there long, so Kane doesn’t know it is there.
C: This is where you are now.
C1: These are nests inhabited by some sort of large flying reptilian predator. You’ve avoided these areas, as those things look dangerous, so you don’t know what’s off the coast to the south.
D1: This is the wreck of the ship you arrived on.[/sblock][/sblock]

Attachments

• ShivMap3.jpg
    ShivMap3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

GROMkill

First Post
As the last of the spiders either flee or lie slain upon the jungle floor, Takahaan sheaths his massive nodachi and approaches the bundle of spider web and silk, alarmed by the cries for help emanating from within.

"A voice! There is someone inside." Takahaan grips the silk in his hands, tearing it away in long, reaching strokes. "Graaagh! Help me rip through this tough webbing, Noriaki."

Pentius

First Post
"Stand aside!" Noriaki says, approaching the webbing. He takes aim and makes one precise upward cut, cleanly slicing the strand holding the webbing in place as the wind around him strips it away from the figure inside. The task complete, Noriaki releases his Way of Air spell, and he seems to deflate a bit.

Mewness

First Post
"What on earth--" says Aerys as the fellow is rescued from his cocoon. She examines him in some surprise. "You're a lucky fellow, my friend. Inasmuch as anyone on Smuggler's Shiv can be said to be lucky."

Pentius

First Post
While Aerys examines the rescued man, Noriaki makes his way over to Sasha. "Are you alright?" he asks, concern in his voice.

Mewness

First Post
Sasha looks down at her mostly-bare legs, now a little swollen from many tiny spiderling bites. "I think I'm all right," she replies. In a somewhat loftier tone, as though wary of expressing too much concern for him, continues, "but Gelik looks to be in a bad way."

"Poison's going to kill me," moans Gelik, taking the opportunity to complain while someone is actually paying attention. "My skin feels like it's burning away."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads