• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki reels from the combined psychic and pestilent assaults. Staggered, he reflexively reaches deep inside to the part of himself he recognizes as the Oni taint, and pulls on its strength. New vitality courses through Noriaki even as the thought of relying on it turns his stomach. The coursing energy threatens to unseat the unsettling psychic presence, and a ripple of energy flings stray rot and spores from Noriaki's skin.

[sblock=Mechanics]Shrug It Off: 1d20=2 Guess I'll take 5 damage.

Standard: Second Wind, regaining 8 hp and +2 to all defenses for a turn.
Save at end of turn: 1d20=8 Bah. Heroic Effort![/sblock]

[sblock=Noriaki]Noriaki Matsumoto Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 2
Initiative: +4(+6 with Takahaan),
Passive Perception: 11,
Passive Insight: 12,
Senses: Normal
AC:19
Fort:18
Reflex:16
Will:14
HP:19/33
Bloodied:16
Surges left:7/9
Surge Value:8
Action Points: 1
MBA: +8 to hit, 1d12+5 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Escalating Violence []
Howl of Triumph []
Shrug it off [x]
Heroic Effort [x]
Second Wind [x]

Swift Panther Rage []
[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Hú Lí dances briefly in place, with her flute, playing a soft yet heartening melody at first, haunting with the memory of the fae lands, that the grigs and piskies can not help but find heartening. The music swells, settling around one of the plant-zombies in a strange aura, reversing its unlife, making it a source of energy to Hú Lí's allies as well. Finally, the flute crescendos rapidly leading to a single ear-splitting note, which strikes one of the bloothorns with a thunderous, tangible blow that sends it tripping backwards towards the clear spot with the malevolent-looking plant, and also towards the crackling orb of fire. She smiles at Kane as she steps lightly over to the relatively safe spot between him and Takahaan.[sblock=actions]Minor: Majestic Word on the Dartmoor Irregulars, who regain surge+4 (12) hp.
Standard: Stirring Shout (Will) vs. Zombie 1: 14(1d20) +6 = 20; 9(2d6) +5 = 14. Until the end of the encounter, whenever an ally hits Zombie 1, the ally regains 4 hp.
AP: Staggering Note (Will) vs. Fungal Bloodthorn 2: 20(1d20) +6 = 26,Crit Damage for Staggering Note: 4(1d8) +4 = 8. 8 thunder damage and Fungal Bloodthorn 2 is pushed 2 squares to J17-K18.
Move: to O10[/sblock][sblock=Hú Lí]The Black Fox Fox Spirit (Changeling) Bard 2
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 19
AC:18, Fort:12, Reflex:16, Will:17
:bmelee: +3 vs. AC, 1d6-1 damage

HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Fox Spirit Disguise, Wild Shape, Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery
Blunder, Fox Spirit Trick, Grasping Claws, Majestic Word x2, Words of Friendship
Stirring Shout, Canon of Avoidance

Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares of the Black Fox, the Fox may slide the ally 1 square as a free action.

Conditions:
none
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
OOC: I think I'll wait for twilsemail to run Dartmoor, even if it takes a while. The fight is pretty nasty and I don't want to spend resources while NPCing someone.

twilsemail

First Post
OOC: I’m provoking an OA from the Twig Blight. I don’t think it can do enough damage to take down the Irregulars, so I’ll roll out the turn.

The Captain stands plain as day in the middle of the melee. "This looks a bit rough. Fitzpatricks! One of you fetch Benjamin." Jennifer Sara Lynn's eyes widen and she darts off.

"That big thing over there? Don't get near it. Nasty sport that."

A Crashing sound is heard to the south, "Ah, here we go."

A Giant Toad, with vibrantly colored fungus on his back and a monacle crashes through the undergrowth. "Valentine, you called?"

"It Captain. We can catch up later. Do me a favor and smash that thing."

While he's distracted, the captain feels something at his back. "Oh, and this is a..."

OOC: Mewness, feel free to put out whatever I might get from my critical hit Nature check

[sblock=actions]
Minor: Nature check on Twig Blights
Move>Minor: Wild Shape
Standard: Summon Giant Toad; Medium Giant Toad appears in R17
Giant Toad attack Zombie 2: +6 vs. Reflex; 1d8+4 and Pull 2
Hit Zombie 2 for 12 damage pulled into Q16. Dispersed into Zombie 1, each take 6

[sblock=Dartmoor Irregulars]Dartmoor Irregulars – Piskie Swarm (Druid) 2
Passive Insight: 14, Passive Perception: 19
AC:16 Fort:13 Ref:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:13/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges Left: 9/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used

Powers:
Grasping Tide

Grasping Claws
Swarming Locusts

Scattered Form

Summon Giant Toad
Fiddlin’ Grig
Conditions: Bloodied, Ongoing 5 Necrotic, "human form"
Notes: -3 damage from melee/ranged attacks in Beast Form
[/sblock]

[sblock=Giant Toad]
Giant Toad – Summoned Creature
AC:16 Fort:13 Ref:14, Will:14 -- Speed:5, Swim 6
HP:16/16, Bloodied:8
Attack: Melee 3; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d8+4 and Pull 2

Instinctive Actions: Attack the same creature as last turn. If it can’t do that, it attacks an enemy within 3. Otherwise it moves to a square within 3 of nearest enemy.
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Dartmoor doesn't provoke--Kane slid the twig blight away from him. I'll update later today. Got to find a picture for the toad =)[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Ishirou runs lightly over the undergrowth to engage one of the zombie-plants, hoping to be of some help to Noriaki.

One of the twig blights is nearly burned to a crisp by Kane’s fireball, but moves rapidly away, blending in with the foliage so completely that he can barely see it even though it ends up right next to him. The other moves to flank the unfortunate Ishirou and pierces him deeply with a poisonous branch.

As it is burned by the fireball, the unpleasant flowering plant lets out a scream that echoes painfully in everyone’s minds. It lashes out psychically at the adventurers, causing Kane to grab his head as his mind explodes in pain. The other plants, “hearing” the scream, attack even more vigorously, but the one next to Kane misses him despite his distracted state.

One of the large thorny plants pierces Noriaki with an appendage and drags him toward its master. The other does the same with Dartmoor. The plant zombies attack clumsily, one scraping uselessly at Castile’s shield and the other unable to make much of an impression on Benjamin’s warty skin.

[sblock=actions and rolls]I’ll roll Dartmoor save vs ongoing necrotic
15(1d20) = 15
since he forgot. Success.

Ishirou uses steel wind movement technique to move to L12.

I'll roll the flaming sphere damage
4(1d4) +4 = 8

Twig blight 1 takes 8 + 5 (fire vulnerability) = 13 damage, which doesn’t quite kill it. Standard action: turn invisible until start of next turn. Moves to P11.

Twig blight 2 becomes visible and moves to L13. Standard: twig 2 blighted claw vs AC (+2 CA), Ishirou; damage
11(1d20) +6 +2 = 19; 7(2d6) +6 = 13
. Ishirou takes 13 damage and is weakened until the end of next turn.

The Caller takes 8 + 10 (fire vulnerability) = 18 damage. It reacts with tortured cry--all its allies gain 10 temporary hit points and +1 to attack rolls until EONT. It would like to move away from the sphere, but its speed is zero. Standard: caller psychic lance vs Will, Castile; Kane; damage
4(1d20) +6 = 10; 12(1d20) +6 = 18; 6(1d6) +4 = 10
misses Castile, hits Kane for 10 psychic and he is dazed until the end of his next turn.

Minor: twisted nature to grant an attack to twig blight 1. twig 1 melee basic vs AC (+2 twisted nature, +1 tortured cry), Kane; damage
7(1d20) +2 +1 = 10; 8(1d8) +4 = 12
Would have been helpful if I’d included its +6 attack bonus in there, as well as +2 for CA because Kane is dazed. But an 18 is still not good enough.

Bloodthorn 1 attacks Noriaki. bloodthorn 1 impaling thorn vs Fort, Noriaki; damage
17(1d20) +9 = 26; 2(1d8) +4 = 6
hits Noriaki for 6 and he is grabbed. Minor: pulling thorns--bloodthorn 1 shifts to I10-J11 and pulls Noriaki to K9. Minor: pulling thorns--bloodthorn 1 shifts to I11-J12 and pulls Noriaki to J10.

Bloodthorn 2 takes 8 damage from the sphere. It moves to L15-M16 and attacks Dartmoor. bloodthorn 2 impaling thorn vs Fort, Dartmoor; damage
18(1d20) +9 = 27; 4(1d8) +4 = 8
hits Dartmoor for 8 and he is grabbed. Minor: pulling thorns--Dartmoor is pulled to L14.

Zombie 1 attacks Castile. zombie 1 fungal slam vs AC, Castile; damage
8(1d20) +9 = 17; 5(2d6) +5 = 10
misses.

Zombie 2 attacks Benjamin the toad. zombie 2 fungal slam vs AC, giant toad
2(1d20) +9 = 11; 8(2d6) +5 = 13
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dartmoor: twig blights]These things are very like the caller in structure. You think they may have started off as part of the caller and branched off as independent beings. Unlike the caller, they are essentially mindless, and cannot do very much without its “guidance.”

They are level 1 lurkers. They have two special standard actions: a nasty weakening attack (blighted claw) and the ability to turn invisible until the start of their next turn. Each of these powers is recovered when the other is used. They are resistant to poison and vulnerable to fire.

Also, I didn’t put actual stats in the info I gave you on the caller and the blights, but you can look at their stat blocks at any time if you wish.[/sblock]

GM: [MENTION=1642]BenBrown[/MENTION]: Candidates for the free slide this round: Castile, Kane, and Benjamin the Toad :D

Nasty Biting Plants: Round 3

[sblock=Terrain Rules, etc.]Perception Checks
If your passive Perception is high enough, you can examine appropriate spoiler blocks to locate hidden enemies. If your passive Perception is not high enough, you may make a Perception roll as a minor action, once per round, to attempt to locate them.

Terrain Rules
The dark green terrain is heavy undergrowth. It is difficult terrain. A small creature, or one who is prone, gains concealment while in heavy undergrowth if there is at least one square of heavy undergrowth intervening between it and an observer. If there are at least two squares of heavy undergrowth intervening, the creature gains total concealment.

The light brown areas are relatively clear and count as normal terrain.

The dark brown circles are trees; they are blocking terrain.[/sblock]

[sblock=Controlling Ishirou]Companion NPCs in Combat

Any PC can take a standard, move, or minor action to have an NPC perform an action of the same (or a lesser) type. E.g., if you want Ishirou to use his Eagle Claw Strike attack, you spend a standard action. If you want him to move, you spend a move action. An NPC is limited to the usual number of actions each round (but those actions need not all be granted by the same PC). An NPC who has an immediate action can likewise only use it if a PC has an immediate action available to use on his/her behalf.

NPCs can take free actions and opportunity actions normally, without the direction of PCs. They are always considered to have their weapons in hand and don’t need to spend actions unsheathing them.

If all of the PCs act in a given round without giving any actions to a particular NPC, I will have that NPC take one non-offensive action. This will most likely be Second Wind if it is needed and available, and movement or Total Defense if it is not. (It won’t be necessary for PCs to spend their own standard actions to have NPCs use second wind.)[/sblock]

[sblock=Ishirou’s powers and stats]Ishirou
HP 11/24, Bloodied 12, Surge value 6; Surges 7/7
AC 16, Fort 14, Reflex 16, Will 12
Skills: Acrobatics +9, Athletics +8, Perception +6
Striker: 1/round, Ishirou can deal 1d6 extra damage when he hits an enemy he has CA against.
:bmelee: katana +8 vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage
Steel Wind (Attack) (standard; full discipline, implement, psionic; close blast 2, each enemy Ishirou can see in blast)
Attack: +5 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8+4 damage.
Steel Wind (Movement) (move; full discipline, psionic; personal)
Effect: Ishirou is no longer marked. He moves his speed (6)+2.
[o] Eagle Claw Strike (Attack) (standard; full discipline, implement, psionic; melee touch, one creature or unattended object)
Attack: +5 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8+4 damage, and the target takes a -3 penalty to AC until the end of Ishirou’s next turn. Against an unattended object, this attack deals 2d8 extra damage.
[o] Eagle Claw Strike (Movement) (move; full discipline, psionic; personal)
Effect: Ishirou flies his speed (6). If he doesn’t land at the end of this movement, he falls.
[o] Heroic Effort (no action; personal)
Trigger: Ishirou misses with an attack or fails a save
Effect: Ishirou gains a +4 racial bonus to the attack roll or saving throw.
[o] Second Wind

Conditions: bloodied, weakened[/sblock]

[sblock=status]PCs
Castile (K10) HP 26+4/39; surges 12/13, AP used, second wind used, ongoing 5 necrotic (save ends)
Dartmoor (L14) HP 5/33; surges 9/10, not-beast form, grabbed by bloodthorn 2, bloodied
Hú Lí (O10) HP 29/29; surges 8/8, AP used
Kane (P10) HP 18/28; surges 10/10, AP used, flaming sphere (J16), dazed (end of turn)
Noriaki (J10) HP 13/33; surges 7/9, second wind used, bloodied, grabbed by bloodthorn 1
Takahaan (N10) HP 14/29; surges 7/8, second wind used, bloodied
Ishirou (L12) HP 11/24; surges 7/7, bloodied, weakened
Giant Toad (R17) HP 16/16

Bad Guys
Twig Blight 1 (P11) 21 damage, +10 temp HP, invisibility used, invisible
Twig Blight 2 (L13) +10 temp HP, blighted claw used
Blighted Caller (H17-I18) threatening reach 3, 18 damage
Fungal Bloodthorn 1 (I11-J12) 12 damage, +10 temp HP
Fungal Bloodthorn 2 (J17-K18) 8 damage, +2 temp HP
Blighted Zombie 1 (L11) 27 damage, +10 temp HP, marked by Castile, rotting burst used, stirring shout
Blighted Zombie 2 (Q16) 27 damage, +10 temp HP
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Stats]Please read the appropriate block(s) only when necessary to resolve attacks or OAs.

[sblock=Blighted Caller]Blighted Caller
AC 16, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 16; HP 76, bloodied 38
Immune to blinded, gaze, sleep; Vulnerable 10 fire
:bmelee: Grasping Roots (reach 3) +6 vs. Reflex, 1d8+5 damage and the target is grabbed. The caller can have up to two creatures grabbed at one time.
Note: the caller has threatening reach 3.[/sblock]
[sblock=Fungal Bloodthorn]Fungal Bloodthorn
AC 18, Fort 15, Ref 12, Will 14; HP 41, bloodied 20
:bmelee: striking vine +9 vs. AC, 1d8+5 damage[/sblock]
[sblock=Blighted Zombie]Blighted Zombie
AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 15, Will 15; HP 68, bloodied 34
:bmelee: Fungal Slam +9 vs. AC, 2d6+5 damage and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends)
Roots of the Colony: If you hit a blighted zombie, and the other zombie is within 5 squares of it, then the zombie you hit takes only half damage, but the other zombie takes the same amount.[/sblock]
[sblock=Twig Blight]Twig Blight
AC 15, Fort 11, Ref 15, Will 13; HP 22, bloodied 11
Resist 5 poison; Vulnerable 5 fire
:bmelee: Bite +6 vs. AC, 1d8+4 poison damage
Note: The twig blights are small and gain concealment while in heavy undergrowth if there is at least one square of heavy undergrowth between the twig blight and an observer.[/sblock][/sblock]

Attachments

• plant map3.jpg
    plant map3.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: I think we need to start concentrating fire here. Admittedly, getting free of grabs is probably the first order of business. I'm going to try another staggering note to get Dartmoor free.

If I slide the toad, it can pull zombie 2 away from zombie 1, so that the hit points aren't split between them and we can actually get rid of one of them. Sliding Kane won't do a whole lot of good, since he's dazed and will have to use his only action maintaining the sphere, so can't really move away any farther than the slide.

Anyone else have anything they'd like to set up for?

Pentius

First Post
OOC: I agree about concentrating fire. I think the bloodthorns are going to pose the biggest obstacle to that, since they like to grab people and pull them around, so perhaps we could start there. Breaking the zombies up is good, but I at least am going to have trouble getting to them

Dekana

Explorer
OOC: I think the flaming sphere is going to be a really big help here. How about I try to push bloodthorn 1 to I12 x J13? Then the flaming sphere can be moved to K14 to get both bloodthorns and a twig.

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Dekana: that won't work this round, because Kane is dazed and only gets one action. He has to use a minor to sustain the sphere, and so doesn't have a move action available to move it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads