Against the Giants 5e PBP (Full)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Secondly, I think even I am finding it more trouble than it's worth. I wanted to do it to save me time, but I'm not sure that it is saving me any time. So, maybe let's forget that I ever asked. Let's just do it the normal way, to save confusion for us all.
Great. I didn't know why people were doing it, I guess I missed that post, and also found it confusing.

I don't know if my character will actually make an attack role. So glad saves are OK.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
At this time, I am impressed at how inept I have been using piercer as a feat.

I mean, I know it's not a top shelf feat, but managing to reroll a 2 into a 1 on a d10? That's a new low for me.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At this time, I am impressed at how inept I have been using piercer as a feat.

I mean, I know it's not a top shelf feat, but managing to reroll a 2 into a 1 on a d10? That's a new low for me.
Well, it's not like you're under-performing damage-wise, so we'll be okay. :p

Thanks for catching my failure to update your status bar (that goes for all of you when you catch it. It's important info for me to know, but I'm apparently notoriously bad at it.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Apparently waiting on me to realize that everyone has posted! Weirdly, the last time I looked it was only the Colonel. I will start to resolve stuff ASAP. (Hopefully by the end of the day).
Yeah, the site seems to have stopped sending notices - so I can understand why you may not have been updated. I have been getting fidgetty though, so BIG Thank you to Snarf for giving you this nudge :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I look at my "Watched Threads" list 20 or 30 times a day (that's probably not an exaggeration) but sometimes, when a given thread goes "stale" (no new posts) I forget that the LAST post was something that I was supposed to deal with. Literally any prompt, either here or in a simple IC comment in the IC thread (yell at the bad guy or something - it doesn't need to be directed at me) will wake me up and get me to start working on it again!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've been thinking about both games, and some thoughts occurred to me about the adventure and it's design. If we don't mind a little meta-discussion (hopefully spoiler-free):

This is what I guess you'd call a "Location-Based" Adventure. There's room for all three pillars (I think all three are a must). Combat; Social Interaction; Exploration.

When it comes to combat, it seems that one of the main goals should be containment: Do everything you can to keep the battle contained to the smallest space you can. The more it breaks out, the more trouble you will have. This goes for noise, too: Thunderwave, Shatter, Knock, etc can cause as many problems as they solve. The good news is that the walls are thick, and there's a lot of noise in other places too. That and the giants like to fight among themselves, so they're not about to come running just because they hear a tussle.

I hope I haven't over-shared, but if any of the above hasn't occurred to you yet, it ought to have occurred to your character, so I don't mind speaking about it.

Which brings us to another point: Hill Giants are DUMB. It should not have escaped your notice so far that they are not terribly hard to trick, and they're pretty vulnerable to psychic attacks.

One last observation (I really should let YOU discuss it, and keep my mouth shut, but you might have noticed: I can't quite help myself). A weakness to 5e's one-hour short rest is that it is somewhat rare that you can find a safe place in an active location to get an hour's break. Most places safe enough for an hour, are often just as safe for eight, (where you can long rest). This adventure is ALSO about resource-management. You don't want to blow too many spell slots too quickly. Don't be that PC who wants to rest when the rest of the party can keep going.

I welcome your thoughts on the subject, if you have any.
Also: How's your game so far? Having fun?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
YES. I think we (at least some of us) were playing along these lines. Now all hell is breaking loose, and we might have to fight to get out to get back in later.

EDIT: Even if it is revised, its still Gygax. Think, or die.

Remove ads