D&D (2024) Bard brainstorm

Even if the bard was already in one playtest, we can still speak about them.

I think to keep the games compatible, the bard should have both arcane and primal spells from divination, enchantment, transmutation, and illusion schools.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I would have preferred if they removed the Bardic inspiration as a resource and use the really great Improved Help feature of the Expert sidekick instead. I've always felt that they went too far into spellcasting and not enough on the inspiring character side, IMHO.

Vaalingrade

Legend
No prep casting. Jaysus Elminster Croist, we don't need that on every casters.

Also, bard just plain needs to have their own spell list. Eat enchantment and illusion from the wizard and then maybe a shadow Conjuration style ability to steal other spells.

I think at this point we should just accept that psionics aren't going to exist again until 7e.

Probably not then, given WOTC apparently can't find a middleground between basically worthless subclasses and an extremely overpowered Mystic.

But Im more speaking in general. The idea of a Bard and what they do "supernaturally", meshes better mechanically with a psionic base than with a spellcaster base.

Clint_L

Hero
I don't mind inspiration, though I hate the new, improved "healing word" that the last iteration floated. I don't think Bards need a ton of work; they are a strong class with a lot of flavour. I've also thought about whether they need their own spell domain but the game is reducing rather than increasing those, so it probably won't happen.

I think bards currently fit the "support class" paradigm really well in that they are definitely a support class but they are still rewarding to play in themselves, which is a tough design feat to accomplish. One thing to keep an eye on is Chris Pine's bard character in the upcoming film - that is going to attract a lot of players to the class and they are going to want to be able to do what he does.

One thing I would love to see is some way for them to better incorporate performance into combat.

Stalker0

Legend
If I use the OG 5e bard....honestly not much. Bards were probably one of the biggest winners in 5e, I mean look at all the stuff they get. Full spellcasting, inspiration is amazing, jack of all trades is solid at higher levels, expertise....I mean bards are winning hard in this edition.

renbot

Adventurer
If I use the OG 5e bard....honestly not much. Bards were probably one of the biggest winners in 5e, I mean look at all the stuff they get. Full spellcasting, inspiration is amazing, jack of all trades is solid at higher levels, expertise....I mean bards are winning hard in this edition.
AND really different flavors and playstyles depending on subclass choice. I have a hard time playing anything other than a bard in 5e!

Remove ads