Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Sure. I'm not sure if two of the players are going to join, so if you can get me a character soon-ish, we can get started with those that are ready.
Awesome, I’ll target having something ready by this weekend. I’m leaning towards a noble high elf cleric of twilight. I’ll retrain the elf weapon training weapons into tools mostly for flavour as per Tasha’s (that’s a lot of tools! But it’ll emphasize eleven lifespan and his noble heritage). He’s a rich boy with an ethical streak and knows that he’s had an easy life. His family having left for evermeet, he was tasked to bring a few books to the great library, a gift from the eleven court to the keepers of knowledge.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Here is my work in progress, currently working on spells and equipment:

Name: Ethian Silvermoon
Class: Cleric of Twilight (worships Sehanine Moonbow)
Race: High Elf
Background: Noble/sailor
Size: Medium (5'11", 175 lbs)
Alignment: Neutral Good

STR: 16 (+3) [15 base +1 racial]
DEX: 8 (-1)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 18 (+4) Save:+6 [14 base, +2 racial, +2 asi]
CHA: 10 (+0) Save:+2

HP: 20 (3d8+3)
AC: 19 (Splint mail + 2 Shield)
Speed: 30
Init: -1
Passive Perception: 16
Senses Darkvision 300 ft
Special DefencesFey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Skills:
Acrobatics -1
Animal Handling +4
Arcana +0
*Athletics +5 from background
Deception +0
History +1
*Insight +6 from class
Intimidation +0
Investigation +1
Medicine +4
Nature +1
*Perception +6 from elf
Performance +0
*Persuasion +2 from background
*Religion +3 from class
Sleight of Hand -1
Stealth -1
Survival +4

Proficiencies summary:
Armor: Light, Medium, Heavy, Shields
Weapons: all
Languages: Elf, Common, Dwarvish
Skills from class: Insight, religion
Skills from background: Athletics, Persuasion
Skills from elf: Perception
Tools from race: Painter’s supplies, Cartographer’s tools, Lute, Woodcarver’s tools
Tools from background: Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)
Saves: Wisdom and Charisma

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision: 60 ft

Keen Senses:You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Trance
Elves don’t need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is “trance.”) While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Elvish. Elvish is fluid, with subtle intonations and intricate grammar. Elven literature is rich and varied, and their songs and poems are famous among other races. Many bards learn their language so they can add Elvish ballads to their repertoires.

Elf Weapon Training
You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow. retrained: Painter’s supplies, Cartographer’s tools, Lute, Woodcarver’s tools

Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Booming blade

Extra Language: You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice: dwarvish

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)

Feature: Position of Privilege
Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Eyes of Night
Starting at 1st level, You can see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

As an action, you can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures you can see within 10 feet of you, up to a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once you share it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a spell slot of any level to share it again.

Vigilant Blessing
At 1st level, the night has taught you to be vigilant. As an action, you give one creature you touch (including possibly yourself) advantage on the next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if you use this feature again.

Channel divinity 1x/rest

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:
  • You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
  • You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

Channel Divinity: Harness Divine Power
As a bonus action, you touch your holy symbol, utter a prayer, and regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up). The number of times you can use this feature is based on the level you’ve reached in this class. 3rd level, once; 7th level, twice; and 15th level, thrice. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
As an Action, you present your Holy Symbol & speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you & within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom Saving Throw. If the creature fails, it is Turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

A Turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can & can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take Reactions. For its Action, it can use Dash or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge Action.

Spellcasting:
Spell Attack Modifier: +6
Spell Save DC: 14
Cantrips Known (4+1 racial): Booming Blade, Guidance, toll the dead, mending, +1
Spells prepared (8) + *domain:
Level 1: *Faerie Fire, *Sleep, bless, healing word, Guiding Bolt, command
Level 2: *Moonbeam, *See Invisibility, Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Aid, +1
Spell Slots: 4/3/-/-/-/-/-/-

Weapon Attack Damage Type Range
longsword +5 1d8+3 S
Dagger +5 1d4+3 P 20/60

• a wooden shield with holy symbol
• dagger
• longsword
• splint armor
• explorer’s pack
- backpack,
- bedroll,
- a mess kit,
- a tinderbox,
- 10 torches,
- 10 days of rations
- a waterskin.
- 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

pouch containing Money

Money:

Weight Carried:
Carrying Capacity:
Push/Drag/Lift:

Ethian is rich boy with an ethical streak. He was pampered as a young noble, until his family had to flee their home and stronghold on ther mainland. He was a rather young elfling, and during this traumatic time, he was exposed to the touch of an undead. He recovered, but his body reacted strangely: he was robbed of the normal elven nimbleness, which he compensated for by focusing on more phycical endeavors.

Aside from the noble persuits that his long elven lifepan gave him such as navigation, music and arts, he became a devoted follower of Sehanine Moonbow. The moon maiden rewarded the young elf with many magical gifts, which he used on several adventures mostly involving the seas.

More recently, he was tasked to bring a few books to the great library, a gift from the eleven court to the keepers of knowledge.

Last edited:

Here is my first draft. Need to add my background.

Name: Kaliban
Race: Male Deep Gnome
Background: Hermit
Class: Psi Warrior
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Inspiration: No
Spent HD: none

Strength:12 (+1)
+Athlethics: +1​

Dexterity:17 (+3)
Acrobatics: +5​

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Charisma:8 (-1)
Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +3
AC: 18
Speed: 25 ft
Hit Dice: 4d10
HP: 35/35

Intelligence:16 (+3)
History: +5
Religion: +5​

Wisdom:10 (+0)
Medicine: +2

+Proficient

OFFENSE
Initiative: +3

Weapon
Rapier
Dagger
Shortbow
Range

80/320
To Hit
+5
+5
+5
Damage
1d8+4 (b)
1d4+4 (b)
1d6+4 (p)
Notes
Finesse
Finesse, light, thrown
Ammunition, two-handed
DEFENSE AC: 18
+Strength: +3
Intelligence: +3
Dexterity: +3
Wisdom: +0
+Constitution: +4
Charisma: -1

Proficiencies and Languages
Languages: Common, Gnomish, Undercommon, Deep Speech
Weapons: Simple, Martial
Armor: All
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Race: Deep Gnome
+1 Dex and +2 Int​
Speed: 25 ft​
Size: Small;​
Stone Camouflage I have advantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks to hide in rocky terrain.​
Background: Hermit
Skills: Medicine, Religion;​
Discovery: The quiet seclusion of my extended hermitage gave me access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of my seclusion. It might be a great truth, a hidden site, a long forgotten fact, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history.​

Class: Fighter, Psi Warrior
Defense Fighting Style: +1 bonus to AC when I'm wearing armor.​
Second Wind: As a bonus action, I regain 1d10 + fighter level HP; I can use this once per short rest.​
Action Surge: I can take one additional action on my turn on top of my normally allowed actions.​
Psionic Power: I have twice my proficiency bonus of Psionic Energy dice that start as d6's.They fuel various psionic powers, and I can't use a power that needs a psionic die if I don't have any left. The die goes up as you gain levels: at 5th (d8), 11th (d10), 17th (d12).

I regain spent Psionic Energy dice after a long rest.

Protective field: When you or another creature you can see within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to expend one Psionic Energy die, roll the die, and reduce the damage taken by the number rolled plus your INT modifier (Minimum 1).

Psionic Strike: Once on each of your turns, immediately after you hit a target within 30 feet of you with an attack and deal damage to it with a weapon, you can expend one Psionic Energy die, rolling it and dealing force damage to the target equal to the number rolled plus your INT modifier.

Telekinetic Movement: As an action, you target one loose object that is Large or smaller or one willing creature, other than yourself. If you can see the target and it is within 30 feet of you, you can move it up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. If it is a Tiny object, you can move it to or from your hand. Either way, you can move the target horizontally, vertically, or both. Once you take this action, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest, unless you expend a Psionic Energy die to take it again.​

Equipment:

Winter Blanket
Herbalism Kit
Quiver
Backpack, with:
-Bedroll
-Mess kit
-Tinderbox
-10 Tourches
-10 days Rations
-Waterskin
-50 ft Silk Rope
Common Clothes
Scroll case with notes
Studded Leather Armor
Metal Shield
Rapier
Shortbow
Dagger x 5
Arrows x 40
109 gp​

Carrying Capacity:
Encumbered
Heavily Encumbered
Carrying Capacity
Push, Drag, Lift

DESCRIPTION and HISTORY
HISTORY:

Race: Deep Gnome
Deity:
Height: 3'4"
Weight: 42 lbs
Complexion:
Skin:
Grey
Hair: Bald
Eyes: Grey
APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY:

Traits:I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, becoming oblivious to my surroundings. I'm oblivious to etiquette and social expectations.

Ideal: Free Thinking: Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress. (Chaotic)
Bond: Should my discovery come to light, it could bring ruin to the world.
Flaw: Now that I've returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've posted a rogues gallery, feel free to put your finalized characters (and/or their links) in there. Maybe with some pictures, if you like.

Here it is. (It's also in the first post now).

...Everyone ready to get started soonish?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I've posted a rogues gallery, feel free to put your finalized characters (and/or their links) in there. Maybe with some pictures, if you like.

Here it is. (It's also in the first post now).

...Everyone ready to get started soonish?
I am. I just need 15 minutes to wrap up the equipment

200 gp splint mail, weapons and other. Shouldn’t take long, I’ll try to do it by tomorrow, worst case Wednesday.
Cheers,

Sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, I'm looking to get started. Before I post the first scene in the IC (that I will create when I do that), I need a show of hands: Your character will start in one of three places:

1) Arriving at the gates of Candlekeep as a member of the expedition working for the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium (referred to as "Blaggates" for short);
2) A "seeker" who is already in Candlekeep, probably at the Hearth (the tavern) and will find interest in joining the group as we proceed; or
3) Another location in or about Candlekeep that we will need to discuss.

Please give me your choice ASAP: @KahlessNestor @Leatherhead @DEFCON 1 @VLAD the Destroyer @Steve Gorak

... and @ART! There's still time to whip up a character and join if you so desire.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases