Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Archemedes can carry up to 7.5 lbs unencumbered, or up to 15 lbs heavily encumbered. If we are using encumbrance that is. If we aren't, he can carry a whopping 22.5 lbs. Which is even more amazing when you consider the Burrowing Owl doesn't even weigh a full pound itself! I chalk that up to him actually being a magical fey spirit.

Can he fly heavily encumbered? (As far as the answer to the question "are we playing with encumbrance?" goes, the answer is "not unless it comes into question, then yes." Sorry if that's ambiguous, but I find that we can do a lot of work that doesn't matter, or we can only worry about it if it seems to make sense to bother).

I mean, I'm not particularly worried about it either way. If Kahless wants Archemedes to fly a rope over, then I'm fine with it, but I think the story might be better if that's beyond the little owl's ability. It's true that it's a superpowered little owl, though!)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
At 10 lbs, Archemedes would only be encumbered, sorry if that wasn't clear. The question would still apply though.

He would lose 10' of speed for being encumbered. Which is only a minor dent to his fly speed, but more than enough to drop his walking speed to 0. So it's kind of a weird spot due to to the following rule:

If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as by the fly spell.

Does having a walking speed of 0' trigger that clause? Bird wings are typically stronger than their legs, after all.

Personally, I don't have a problem with flying a rope across.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At 10 lbs, Archemedes would only be encumbered, sorry if that wasn't clear. The question would still apply though.

He would lose 10' of speed for being encumbered. Which is only a minor dent to his fly speed, but more than enough to drop his walking speed to 0. So it's kind of a weird spot due to to the following rule:

Does having a walking speed of 0' trigger that clause? Bird wings are typically stronger than their legs, after all.

Personally, I don't have a problem with flying a rope across.

Haw! I guess we should say that Archemedes struggles with the rope as long as he is on the ground (falling on his little owl-face) but can lift it as long as he's flying (but looks like he's weighted down, flying in dips).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Well, Archemides technically has the full Owl stats, which I imagine are made with a larger species in mind, but it's the only rules that matter. And given that it's a familiar, ten minutes and 10 gp could turn him into a larger owl, or a hawk, or a big spider, or a lizard, multiple things that could make the crossing. And he isn't carrying the entire weight of the 10 lb rope. Just one end. Most of the weight would be held by Crock Jon feeding it out to make the crossing.

By RAW, an owl can carry 45 lbs (Str 3 x 15). Even by the VARIANT Encumbrance rules, 10 lbs of rope is still under encumbrance ( 2 x 5 = 15). So no speed reduction. And Speed is determined by what FORM of movement you are using. So 60 feet of flight speed isn't affected by having 0 walking speed. Even if you rule an encumbered or heavily encumbered, speed is still 50 or 40. And currently being out of "rounds", that doesn't even really matter. An owl doesn't have to land every iteration of flight speed. Hawks (which are a familiar option) could fly pretty much interminably given updrafts and such. Many birds do this.

I guess I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I haven't even cheesed this by being a FLYING race like aaracokra or winged tiefling! Or even having Misty Step! Or just shoot a rope across or throw one.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I guess I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I haven't even cheesed this by being a FLYING race like aaracokra or winged tiefling! Or even having Misty Step! Or just shoot a rope across or throw one.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a big deal.

I don't particularly care either way, other than to ask "Is a tiny little owl carrying a big rope the best way to tell the story?" If the answer is "Sure" or even "Who cares?" then, whatever, I'm fine with it. I'm fine with it even if all it is is "That's what the player wants to do". It's definitely not against the rules!

The discussion was more a game-philosophy aside, than an actual problem.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't remember... are we seven in the group right now or are we eight? I honestly can't remember if Broun is with us anymore, or if he stayed back when we gained Crock Jon. I think the group is currently:

Hawthorne
Argenti
Kaliban
Ruznami [and Archimedes]
Ethian
Crock Jon
Shedrick

Broun would make us eight if he's with us, but I don't think he is, yes?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
My understanding is Broun is not with us -- he was an NPC, and is the Uncle of Crock Jon, but didn't forge into the cold.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Broun stayed with you, driving the coach all the way to Maerin, but he stayed there with the coach while you ventured up the mountain (about 3-4 days' travel on foot). He's waiting for you in Maerin, caring for the horses.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So @VLAD the Destroyer and @Kobold Stew asuming you do as Hawthorne instructed (which I think is safe to assume) how long do you spend out there? 10 mins? Half an hour? And approximately how far are you willing to venture afield? 60 feet? A hundred yards? Two hundred? (If it's easiest, pick from those or give me your own estimate). Feel free to throw in stealth, survival, or perception.

In PBP especially, though in general, I am a DM where volunteering skill-checks will never work against you (by which I mean don't worry about rolling low suddenly making you fail to do something that you would have succeeded on if you hadn't rolled, as some people on these boards fear). Just give me checks if you think it might apply. It will save me time.

Remove ads