• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chainmail Bikinis & other Cheesecake art in the 4th Edition Core Books.

What do you feel about "cheesecake" art in the D&D IV core books?

• Strongly Favor!

Votes: 107 24.3%
  • Moderately Favor

Votes: 49 11.1%
  • Slightly Favor

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 62 14.1%
  • Slightly Oppose

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Moderately Oppose

Votes: 60 13.6%
  • Strongly Oppose!

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • 3.14159265358979323846…

Votes: 35 7.9%

Aage

First Post
DandD said:
Both are okay, as long as the non-cheesecake-pictures dominate AND most importantly are used to depict combat situations.

No to scantily clad fighter chicks protecting wizards holding their shields in a stupid position just to show her cleavage.

Yes to at least believable competent warrior women wearing heavy full armour with no holes and silly gaps in their protective armament to shield their wizard companion against incoming attacks.

Yes to both pictures if the warrior-woman just is standing there for show, although the more dressed woman should always be preferable to the bikini-chainmal slut (yes, that's how I think about them). Heavy protective armour does look cool too, after all.

Agreed, except for the usage of the word slut... Sensibly clothed women are far more attractive than scantily clad ones, anyway

GishBandit

Explorer
What you alienate is the Parents. A kid with naked chics on the front of the cover might get his books thrown out. What I mean by naked is chic’s scantily clad in armor and the like. I heard of one kid had his books thrown out because his parents saw the picture of the beholder in the monster manual. I believe wotc better watch out what they put on the front of the cover of their books.

I did not like the book of vile darkness not because of the graphic art in the book, but because it was not for minors. I believe all the books that wotc puts out should be for all ages. People of all ages play this game. It is a shame to alienate a chunk of them.

Besides, how many of you have heard of some store getting in trouble because a parent saw their kid with the book of vile darkness, opened. :)

Voadam

Legend
GishBandit said:
Besides, how many of you have heard of some store getting in trouble because a parent saw their kid with the book of vile darkness, opened. :)

I've yet to hear of one. Have you?

Corinth

First Post
Reality trumps fantasy. No beefcake. No cheesecake. Utter fidelity to reality is required to establish and maintain the strongest possible degree of verisimilitude.

Lord Fyre

First Post
GishBandit said:
What you alienate is the Parents. A kid with naked chics on the front of the cover might get his books thrown out. What I mean by naked is chic’s scantily clad in armor and the like. I heard of one kid had his books thrown out because his parents saw the picture of the beholder in the monster manual. I believe wotc better watch out what they put on the front of the cover of their books.

That is kind of funny because I never had this problem. And yes, I had several of these kind of books . . .

My Wonder Woman, X-Men, Justice League, Advengers, Superman, Batman, etc. comics all had that kind of art.

Voadam

Legend
Corinth said:
Reality trumps fantasy. No beefcake. No cheesecake. Utter fidelity to reality is required to establish and maintain the strongest possible degree of verisimilitude.
I'm trying to come up with a mental image of a female tiefling warlock with utter fidelity to reality to apply this theory as a mental exercise.

I'm drawing a blank. Even going for a realist style of art, you have to define the tiefling and style of clothing first.

Corinth

First Post
Voadam said:
I'm trying to come up with a mental image of a female tiefling warlock with utter fidelity to reality to apply this theory as a mental exercise.

I'm drawing a blank. Even going for a realist style of art, you have to define the tiefling and style of clothing first.
Take a mundane woman. Clothe her appropriately for her age, status and location. Add just one small detail that places her as other than human--use that Uncanny Valley to effect--and do so while adhering to known mythology about demoniacally-tainted bloodlines. (By default, we are speaking of Abrahamic tradition, so we shall concentrate on features such as unnatural eye color, fingers that appear to be functional as claws or talons, tail-like growths at the base of the spine, etc.). Done and done; it's not nearly as hard or implausible as you imply.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
can she vote and own land too? is she clean? anyway i get what your saying, but the 70s and 80s art that looks more like figure drawling IS fantasy in my opinion. Its why I game and it energizes my creativity. Although with all things their is a time and place. I can do sensible artwork too and I am pretty good at at it. ;p, its just that I just hate covering up the under drawling if I nail the anatomy.

Last edited:

Remove ads