• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
It's the stormtrooper problem. Do the heroes stop and talk to the guards serving the bad guys before knifing them? No, they don't. That probably means they kill off a number of folks who aren't evil or irredeemable.

But if it's impractical to do check in with each guard in D&D adventures, it would completely drag a D&D movie to a halt.

The trope has to win out here.
I mean in SW The Empire is obviously bad. Oppression and fear rule. In the movie in Neverwinter, Forge is considered a good guy and Neverwinter is a good town. To work for The Empire isn't the same as working for Neverwinter.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Besides, it looks like she knocked them out when reducing them to 0 hp
She literally stuck a guys head on hot coals or molten steel oever whatever that was. Even if she didn't kill some (which she was swinging her axe into their sides etc) she was atleast horribly maiming some.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean in SW The Empire is obviously bad. Oppression and fear rule. In the movie in Neverwinter, Forge is considered a good guy and Neverwinter is a good town. To work for The Empire isn't the same as working for Neverwinter.
I mean ... Neverwinter is a good town where they're just restarted a blood sport that the old lord cancelled for being a horrible idea and almost everyone in town has shown up to cheer for it. And, as pointed out, the guards are happy to kill people in alleyways for expediency's sake.

We're grading on a curve as far as Sword Coast cities go, obviously, but Neverwinter is not objectively a good city full of good people.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I mean ... Neverwinter is a good town where they're just restarted a blood sport that the old lord cancelled for being a horrible idea and almost everyone in town has shown up to cheer for it. And, as pointed out, the guards are happy to kill people in alleyways for expediency's sake.

We're grading on a curve as far as Sword Coast cities go, obviously, but Neverwinter is not objectively a good city full of good people.
I suppose thats true. If I was a cop and my city wanted to start up a blood sport, I may have to quit and maybe move.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I suppose thats true. If I was a cop and my city wanted to start up a blood sport, I may have to quit and maybe move.
I do think the story of a good guy trying to change Neverwinter from the inside is a good basis for a story. (It's kind of what some of the PCs are doing in the police procedural game I'm in.) Just not this one, unfortunately.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
On the topic of whether the Cartoon D&D characters are dead, they could be alive. Edgin when they arrived at the allegedly safe cage take one look at it and say that anyone in there at the end will die. The people in there heard him, they had time to leave. Furthermore Sofina starts her evil death magic rite above the observation chamber above the arena. I reckon the people in the cage would have time to see the crimson cloud draw the correct conclusion and scarper. Especially that anyone else in the arena has left to follow the loot. There would be no one to stop them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
On the topic of whether the Cartoon D&D characters are dead, they could be alive. Edgin when they arrived at the allegedly safe cage take one look at it and say that anyone in there at the end will die. The people in there heard him, they had time to leave. Furthermore Sofina starts her evil death magic rite above the observation chamber above the arena. I reckon the people in the cage would have time to see the crimson cloud draw the correct conclusion and scarper. Especially that anyone else in the arena has left to follow the loot. There would be no one to stop them.
Yeah, I thought the cartoon kids reacted when Edgin said people in the cage would die. I read that as them escaping out the other way, off-screen.

Remove ads