D&D Movie/TV Free 'Honor Among Thieves' Bundle Includes Characters & Magic Items From The Movie

Over at D&D Beyond you can check out the game details of the protagonists (plus major NPCs) of the D&D movie, along with the statistics of a number of magical items from the film. Thieves Gallery -- this contains stats for Doric, Edgin, Forge, Holga, Simon, Sofina, and Xenk. These are NPC-style stat blocks, not full character sheets. Legendary Magic Items -- stats for the helm of disjunction...

00-002.magic-item-combo.png

Over at D&D Beyond you can check out the game details of the protagonists (plus major NPCs) of the D&D movie, along with the statistics of a number of magical items from the film.
  • Thieves Gallery -- this contains stats for Doric, Edgin, Forge, Holga, Simon, Sofina, and Xenk. These are NPC-style stat blocks, not full character sheets.
  • Legendary Magic Items -- stats for the helm of disjunction, hither-thither staff, helm of beckoning death, red wizard blade, and the tablet of reawakening.

In addition, WotC's Chris Perkins talks about the magic items in the video below.

Have any of you considered the items for your campaigns?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
While it works for the movie, for a game the blade should probably should be toned down - at worst death only being countered by true resurrection working (which should be what the tablet does), and using an action/charge to deal the 3d12 necrotic - good for the wizard who'd only get 1 melee attack anyways (or good for a rogue/assassin sneak attack) and not amazingly broken in the fighter's hand.
I would tone this down by saying for the resurrection effect to work, the dagger must remain in the stabbed creature until it dies; at which point the dagger becomes a regular dagger. In other words, it's a one and done, and can be removed using an action

So, anti-magic concussion blast helmet, a Portal Gun, zombie gas, a dagger with a SLIGHTLY weaker version of the poison from Crit Role Campagne Three, and an unnecessarily fancy Scroll of True Resurrection that explicitly counters the poison dagger (seriously, the SOURCE of a specific spell really shouldn't matter). Bit hit-or-miss.

Well! What do you think of the stats for the magic items?
The horn of Beckoning Death is pathetically weak. The blade of the red wizards is overpowered (essentially +19.5 to damage).

I can't believe WotC gave both Edgin and Simon better damage than Holga. That doesn't reflect the movie at all. What a travesty.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For non-D&D players, it established that clerics are a thing, and bringing people back from the dead is something they do, which might be relevant in a sequel.
It amuses me that WotC considers a dagger of "no, you can't resurrect this NPC" to be a legendary item. They need to talk to more DMs, as we've been quietly passing those back and forth to each other for decades.

As with all powerful magic items, it depends how the DM sees it being used, and shouldn't be in the game unless it serves the plot in some way. The resurrection-inhibition effect is pretty much worthless to players - how often does the stuff they kill get resurrected? It's only really significant if used against the PCs, or if the PCs need it to assassinate a particular NPC who is likely to be resurrected if killed with conventional weapons.
It turns out that one of the nastiest things you can have a bad guy (e.g. lich) do is go around Wishing for Resurrection of the PCs' enemies and introducing them to each other.

Say hello again to that beholder, that clan of fire giants, those mind flayer arcanists, and that ancient white dragon... all at the same time. (The bad guy can even Teleport them all on top of the PCs.)

You don't really need the sword to counter this effect (just burn all the bodies to ash and throw the ash in a volcano) but the sword is more convenient, albeit overpowered.

How WotC can create a big centerpiece magic item (horn of Beckoning Death) which is totally underpowered compared to the very next incidental item in the same article is beyond me. Couldn't they see how bad the horn was? You could at least make it turn them into Shadows or something. Zombies are something Szass Tam could create in any number of ways, no elaborate plot needed.

The movie was good but WotC's write-up is low quality. For my Film Reroll in Dungeon Fantasy RPG I'm upping the horn to a 700-point Manastone, and upping Beckoning Death to create living shadows called Demons From Between the Stars (i.e. GURPS-ified Shadows) instead of zombies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It turns out that one of the nastiest things you can have a bad guy (e.g. lich) do is go around Wishing for Resurrection of the PCs' enemies and introducing them to each other.

Say hello again to that beholder, that clan of fire giants, those mind flayer arcanists, and that ancient white dragon... all at the same time. (The bad guy can even Teleport them all on top of the PCs.)
A D&D Legion of Doom is a great idea. My pointy hat is off to you, @FormerlyHemlock.

This isn't true when you account for to hit bonuses and multi-attack
IIRC Holga has three attacks at +7 for 10 damage each, total 30. Edgin has two attacks at +6 for IIRC 16-17 damage each, total 34ish. Simon has three attacks at +6 for 15ish damage each, total 45ish.

This is not reflective of the movie Holga/Edgin/Simon, wherein Holga and Owlbear-Doric are the big damage dealers of the group. Do you disagree? If so, explain.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads