D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

ad_hoc

(they/them)
From our LARP group of about 60 players, many of whom also play D&D, many were in the movie. Only 3 friends liked it. So I'm not at all surprised that the film flopped. To pull up something like the MCU Phase1, it needs more than a fat dragon and potatoes. Well, maybe it will be better next time, but how many will still go to the movies? Honestly, we will probably wait 23 years again until the dust settles. Yes one will produce now also still another series etc., but if it is the same level, that will find also no large range. Most is produced nowadays anyway only so that you can fill his streaming services, quality often remains outside.

It isn't a flop.

It performed worse than they hoped I'm sure but I think overall it is aild success.

There is still money to be made on home release and merchandise.

Most importantly it will grow the brand which Hasbro is keen to do. They want to make D&D a billion dollar brand.

Remathilis

Legend
It isn't a flop.

It performed worse than they hoped I'm sure but I think overall it is aild success.

There is still money to be made on home release and merchandise.

Most importantly it will grow the brand which Hasbro is keen to do. They want to make D&D a billion dollar brand.
The biggest issue is that it's not a brand that people instantly recognize. Ask most people what D&D is and they will reply "it's a game". It doesn't have a well known story or characters. I still think it did amazing considering that. It's a relief to see a movie that wasn't a rehash or a well known story or character. They took a chance and it didn't set the world on fire, but I think it did the best it could for the kind of property that it was.

pantsorama

Explorer
It made great money for what it is - considering RPGs are still niche and all that Remathillis said right above me. It will probably be $160m+ before it leaves theaters - It's almost at $158m now. And that is without China or India as a real market, and a terrible release date putting it up against John Wick and Super Mario.

The problem is, if the word on the street has it right, they spent too much on it. There are many different numbers thrown about, but the general consensus is about $150m before marketing, and that they skimped on the marketing a bit. How that will affect the chances of a sequel remains to be seen. But I imagine it will do fine in the long run.

Whats more - I got to believe that Hasbro kinda knew it would never make $300m+, and therefore planned for other revenue streams. But maybe I am putting to much faith in the hope that corporate types refrain from sniffing their own poots and calling it perfume.

Last edited:

Remove ads