• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Undrave

Legend

That's what halflings were like in the 1980's Dragon illustrations: well-proportioned small people.

Remember this? View attachment 281395

One thing that struck me is that the movie's halflings were just sort of tossed in as just a bunch of small people. Whereas LOTR made sure to establish the signature look of them (curly hair, big furry feet, waistcoats, etc.) so that even if none of the big folk were around, you still knew you were looking at a hobbit.

Granted, the D&D movie didn't have the same time to dedicate to a couple of minor characters, but with D&D having moved away from the hobbity look of halflings, without those visual touchstones, we run into them just looking like small humans.

OB1

Jedi Master
One thing that struck me is that the movie's halflings were just sort of tossed in as just a bunch of small people. Whereas LOTR made sure to establish the signature look of them (curly hair, big furry feet, waistcoats, etc.) so that even if none of the big folk were around, you still knew you were looking at a hobbit.

Granted, the D&D movie didn't have the same time to dedicate to a couple of minor characters, but with D&D having moved away from the hobbity look of halflings, without those visual touchstones, we run into them just looking like small humans.
I think one of the big issues with the Bradley Cooper scene is that he was a last minute replacement of the original actor and shot the scene by himself on a green screen and then was superimposed into the scene. I'd also say that in LotR, the hobbit scenes where they're mixing with big folk got a lot worse in the last film (like when they're dancing on tables after the battle of Helms Deep) when they were doing that instead of using practical lens effects.

I thought the parole board halfling (gnome? I thought I saw pointy ears), fit a lot better into her scenes, and wasn't nearly as distracting.

Remove ads