D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I thought Simon's development was a charisma thing. He's a sorcerer who has difficulty casting spells? Must have a low CHA. That's reflected in his poor self-esteem. Once he learns to tap into his abilities, his casting and his self-esteem both improve. He becomes more confident, less self-pitying, and Doric responds to that.
Obviously he got an ASI and boosted it. 😁

Von Corellon

Adventurer
I assumed the token for Speak with Dead was a magic item.
From the Thieves Gallery on DnDBeyond :)
381F0DE3-CE3E-446A-96F3-0654B806E181.jpeg

Iosue

Legend
Also the dragonfly/damselfly thing just being symbolic and not paying off to anything was a bit strange. But maybe I'm not deep enough on Realms lore and there was additional symbolism I didn't get or something.
I thought they paid it off beautifully and subtly. In his memory, Edgin remembers his wife saying, “You don’t have to capture it. Just let it go.” And when he sees it at the end, he realizes that he has to let her go, and save Holga.

Mad_Jack

Legend
The emotional stakes weren't that well developed, so that Edgin's sacrifice at the end seemed like the obvious choice rather than a true dilemma.
I found an article (definitely click-bait-y) that basically called out the film for using a "problematic trope", which turned out to be them claiming that the only "characterization" Edgin's wife had was that she was dead and only mentioned to justify the plot. Which supposedly doesn't do the film any favors.
Now, obviously, the movie isn't going to spend a huge amount of time fleshing out a secondary character who's already dead when the story starts (I haven't seen it yet, so I'm assuming they don't devote a flashback to her death?), but I am curious... Is the wife really just a cardboard cut-out with a "Hi, my name is...<Plot Point>" sticker on her?

I thought they paid it off beautifully and subtly. In his memory, Edgin remembers his wife saying, “You don’t have to capture it. Just let it go.” And when he sees it at the end, he realizes that he has to let her go, and save Holga.
I got that, but the issue is that a weird-looking bright blue dragonfly turning up over and over - several times unnoticed by Edgin or indeed any of the other characters - seems like it has more going on than just appearing in a flashback scene. If it only appeared in a flashback scene, then say once at the end to remind him, that would work. But they put it in several other scenes.

Undrave

Legend
I just got back from seeing it. Had a lot of fun, didn't care about any inaccuracies. They really nailed the feel of a bumbling party saving the day! I hope we get more movies in that universe but with different casts. Could be fun to have Xenk as the thru line, just having him come in and be a badass and then peace out before the final act.

Themberchaud
Thank you! I didn't catch the name during the movie. Either the sound mixing was weird or the accoustic in my theatre a big wonky.
Hi guys. Sorry if I'm writing off topic, but have any of you seen the new Guardians of the Galaxy 3 trailer before the movie? If you have seen it, please describe it, because my cinema decided to skip all the trailers.
No. We got the new Mission Impossible movie trailer, I believe the trailer for Mario, Transformers Rise of the Beasts... And the trailer for the Farador movie! which is absolutely on brand for the D&D movie!

Remove ads