D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I loved it. So much fun.

My nitpicks:
Where are the body guards for the rich? The rich guys were all like, look, she's chanting, no biggie.....
There were no others capable of fighting back in the Emerald Enclave?
The didn't help the paladin fight, just stood there?
The bard couldn't do anything (which I get was the point, but he did almost nothing, I get it, it was the bit)
Really, my issue was the same one I have with most cop shows...where are all the other people in the world (not for the plot, but for all the stuff on the side).
They traveled at the speed like the producers of GoT were show running across the area.
To be clear, these are tiny nitpicks, and didn't bother me at all.

What I loved most:
The attunement scenes. Really, this should 100% be part of the rules somehow. I'm totally using this in a future campaign.
All the little easter eggs.
The plan for breaking into the vault, and its execution.
The fight scenes were all very well choreographed and executed.
The bigby's hands fight was great.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I saw the film Wednesday, and also really enjoyed it! I will probably see it again in the theatres at least once.

I agree Doric didn't get much character development in the film, but she was a badass, had some great lines . . . and I can understand why Simon is smitten with her! If you read the prequel novel "Druid's Call", it's all about Doric and her story before she meets up with the party . . . but, while I do think the novel is good and enhances the film, it's not an excuse for the lack of Doric's characterization in the film.

In other threads, we've been talking about movie merchandise . . . if you can see the film in an AMC theatre this weekend, they are offering neat d20 popcorn buckets, tankards, maps, and posters. You can also order MORE swag from AMC from their website, I decided to pick up the pin set for the Harper pin alone.
I saw it at Regal, and nada....maybe I'll see it again at AMC?

Dire Bare

Legend
I saw it at Regal, and nada....maybe I'll see it again at AMC?
Your local Regal Cinema might have the small posters this weekend, and also perhaps some themed popcorn buckets and plastic cups, but . . . they are the standard art-on-a-plastic-cup/bucket, which is okay, but weak compared to the d20 shaped bucket and full-on tankard AMC is dropping.

Of course, there is always Murphy's Law when hoping for fun swag at theatres . . . . will they run out just before you hit the concession stand?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Not sure how I forgot to mention Thumberchaud! The battle to escape him was both epic and hilarious. I can't wait to see how non D&D audiences react to him, so wonderfully off expectation for what a Dragon is. I weirdly got Baby Yoda vibes from him.
Absolutely! Themberchaud was both ridiculous and badass at the same time—it defies all dragon tropes.

Xenk: "He must have found a new den."
Edgin: "Did he eat the last one?"

Hussar

Legend
Saw it with my girls yesterday. Got a very big thumbs up from one. A more meh from the other but just not her bag.

Two big thumbs up from me. Tons of fun. Well done. Granted here in Japan there has been zero marketing. Heck the other theatre it was showing at just assumed it was a kids movie and is only showing the dubbed version.

But yeah. Hey nailed this pretty well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Completely agree on Doric's escape being an incredible moment. The crowd I saw it with went NUTS during that sequence. But I'd put it pretty close to the escape from Thumberchad. Him rolling around the hanging city was the most delightful thing I've seen in years.
She wildshaped so often she'd have to be a 20th level druid! It was a very fun and enjoyable movie, but they played fast and loose with class abilities. Like the red wizard having two 9th level spell slots during the final battle.

I'd rate the movie at an 8.5-9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Loved it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases