D&D 5E Damage Die Steps

Weiley31

Legend
So, I wanted to play with the idea of PCs being able to increase the Damage Die of a weapon by one or two steps. Now going by 5E weapon damage die logic, I pretty much get it. (I think) However, my question comes in regard to what happens when a Weapon is 1D12. Now, in theory that should go up to 2D4, I think, if I go by my logic. But the problem is, wouldn't a weapon with a damage die of 2D4 be weaker compared to a 1D12? And if it is, what would be the most logical step to move up to? A 2D6 seems like it. But then that seems like it's a moot point as an upgrade. (And yet, that's pretty much almost in the ball park of the 1D12, just more reliable I would assume in hitting the maximum damage value of 12 compared to the risk of a 1D12 and hitting the highest number on it.)

Not quite sure to be honest.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So, I wanted to play with the idea of PCs being able to increase the Damage Die of a weapon by one or two steps. Now going by 5E weapon damage die logic, I pretty much get it. (I think) However, my question comes in regard to what happens when a Weapon is 1D12. Now, in theory that should go up to 2D4, I think, if I go by my logic. But the problem is, wouldn't a weapon with a damage die of 2D4 be weaker compared to a 1D12? And if it is, what would be the most logical step to move up to? A 2D6 seems like it. But then that seems like it's a moot point as an upgrade. (And yet, that's pretty much almost in the ball park of the 1D12, just more reliable I would assume in hitting the maximum damage value of 12 compared to the risk of a 1D12 and hitting the highest number on it.)

Not quite sure to be honest.
Perhaps

2.5 : 1d4
3.5: 1d6
4.5: 1d8
5.5: 1d10
6.5: 1d12
7: 2d6
9: 2d8
11: 2d10
13: 2d12

Or you can mix the die types for a smoother progression.

dave2008

Legend
If it was strictly steps it would be:

1d4
1d6
1d8
1d10
1d12
1d20

However that is a big jump from 1d12 to 1d20. So you want to emulate a 1d14 or 7.5 average.

2d6 = 7 average
2d8 = 9 average.

So normally I would go with 2d6 and follow the same step process

Remove ads