• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids vs Command & Sleep

Ganymede81

First Post
Why not train your wizard to cast fireball on command spell!

Two fireball in one round, no problem, the Cleric command it's Wizard to fireball, then the Wizrd refireball later in the round.

Naw, Command dictates what you will do on your next turn. It does not make anyone do anything out of sequence.

Unwise

Adventurer
I would 100% let "Revert" work as a command. Anything to discourage the PCs from constantly using Command "Masturbate" will be a blessing.

pukunui

Legend
I tweeted Jeremy Crawford about this. He finally got back to me (here).

Me: What happens when a wildshaped druid is affected by the sleep spell. Do they stay in beast form or revert to normal?
JC: Wild Shape ends if you're knocked unconscious, so if the sleep spell knocks you unconscious, Wild Shape ends.

If your DM decides "revert" is too ambiguous a verb, both "Shapeshift" and "Wildshape" are used as verbs in D&D with regularity. Given the druid is already in one form and their only option to "shapeshift" from animal form is to turn back into themselves, then yes, they should...provided they fail their save.

They also have the option to shift to a different wildshape form, unless they've already used up all their wildshapes for now.

Unwise

Adventurer
...is that a common thing at your table?

Yes, yes it is. It is kind of my fault too. It became famous though when I used it on a villianous lord as he was addressing his troops with a big inspiring speech. My trickery cleric remained hidden, then did the command then hid again. The vocal component was proceeded by shouting "OMG! Is he about to..." so people did not necessarily realize it was a spell. Lets just say it did not do a lot for the troops' morale, as I timed it to coincide with when he was talking about them leaving their wives behind.

Later on, I did the same thing to the same guy while he was dancing with the princess during a ball.

It got revived when a PC used command "Drop" and sometimes the person fell prone, but other times they dropped one of the things in their hands. They wanted a way to make sure that the person dropped their weapon, rather than dropping to the ground. So it was a good way of making sure their hand(s) were busy.

Also, there is something so perverse about cutting somebody down when all they can do it engage in self-abuse. It kind of brings the big scary guys down to size. A PC once used it on a terrifying ogre warrior that was causing fear checks. He did not seem so scary with his pants down, so people got advantage on their fear checks. Not that anybody wanted to close into melee.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads