Flight of the Resistance (Star Wars)

Quickleaf

Legend
Lightside is the default side.

Default Morality is 50, between both Light Side threshold (70) and Dark Side threshold (30). As per F&D p.49.

Did not realize that. Just reading through the Morality and see that. I may still take some obligations but will probably focus on morality.

I forgot to update the OP with Morality details. Trying to assemble the different meaty books together into comprehensible and clear/concise rules has been tricky for me. But I've updated Morality now in the OP...

If you take Morality, you normally have 50 Morality (in between the Light and Dark). You also choose an Emotional Strength and an Emotional Weakness. You then select one of these options:
  • Gain +10 XP.
  • Gain +2,500 credits.
  • Gain +5 XP and +1,000 credits.
  • Begin with Morality 21 (Dark Side) or 71 (Lights Side). This provides benefits/changes described on F&D page 52-53.

GreenKarl

First Post
So I am about ready to re-post my updated character but I wanted to ask a couple of questions :)

First what effect does reducing your Duty (if you are in the Resistance) by 10 have? I am still not really clear on that.

Connections with other characters, can I have more then one? I would like to have a past with either or both Arsinoë and Rex as I think they both fit my outlook.

As for his feelings on Slavery to flesh that out some more, I am thinking it is partly due to being Force Sensitive. Kospirian grew up with a lot of personal freedom to do whatever he wanted. He has always thought that people should do as they want and do what makes them happy, so long as they are not hurting anyone else. The 'Golden Rule' and Human Secural Morality (but I am going to make up something for this idea He really believes that slavery is in Mirialins) is a standard and moral set taught in his family and the greater racial outlook. Slavery is an affront to these ideas and it causes him personal anger to see it (I kind of think again this is somewhat influenced by the Light Side of the Force). Another idea is that while training with the Ania-Ko shaman this was affirmed or reinforced with their own ideas. I am thinking that they do not damn water for some semi-religious reasoning and slavery is seen as damning or harming the life-force that is water.

Anyway :)

Quickleaf

Legend
So I am about ready to re-post my updated character but I wanted to ask a couple of questions :)

First what effect does reducing your Duty (if you are in the Resistance) by 10 have? I am still not really clear on that.

In our game (with starting Duty 10 for Resistance PCs), reducing your Duty by 10 would mean starting with Duty 0. This might be someone freshly signed on with the Resistance, or it might be someone whose work for the Resistance has been "below the radar screen" or "in an unofficial capacity."

How do you get above Duty 0? Duty is gained in a manner similar to gaining XP, generally based on how much your action helps the Resistance, how much it hurts the First Order, and how much it fulfills your PC's specific Duty (see AoR p.47).

What does Duty do? So, the way we're using Duty (ignoring the wound threshold blahblah), it does two things:

First, it can act as a threshold that the GM looks at in terms of interaction with NPCs. For example, an entrenched Resistance leader could refuse to associate with a group (or be less favorably inclined toward a group) whose net Duty is less than 60. And 60 is just an example, not some magic number.

Second, every 100 points of the party's net Duty is a campaign milestone; these points of Duty are traded in to increase the group's Contribution rank by 1 (i.e. from 0 to 1, from 1 to 2, and so on). There are much more detailed rules about requisitioning equipment/vehicles/strategic assets on AoR p.50 and p.325 which explains what each Contribution rank means in game terms.

Connections with other characters, can I have more then one? I would like to have a past with either or both Arsinoë and Rex as I think they both fit my outlook.
Absolutely!

This was in the OP, but in case you missed, I'm giving out bonus starting XP...

+5 XP for playing a human character.
+5 XP for tying your character to at least two other characters in the party.
+5 XP for making interesting hooks/motives investing your character in the story.
+5 XP for contributing something to the game outside of your character (e.g. description of a planet/site/NPC, or providing a cool web resource).

As for his feelings on Slavery to flesh that out some more, I am thinking it is partly due to being Force Sensitive. Kospirian grew up with a lot of personal freedom to do whatever he wanted. He has always thought that people should do as they want and do what makes them happy, so long as they are not hurting anyone else. The 'Golden Rule' and Human Secural Morality (but I am going to make up something for this idea He really believes that slavery is in Mirialins) is a standard and moral set taught in his family and the greater racial outlook. Slavery is an affront to these ideas and it causes him personal anger to see it (I kind of think again this is somewhat influenced by the Light Side of the Force). Another idea is that while training with the Ania-Ko shaman this was affirmed or reinforced with their own ideas. I am thinking that they do not damn water for some semi-religious reasoning and slavery is seen as damning or harming the life-force that is water.

Sounds good :) I've been "secretly" seeding the adventure with thematic elements speaking to each of your PCs. For Kospirian, you may have noticed that:
  • Kabal lies on a Spice and slave trade route.
  • Kabal's priesthood reveres mysterious water spirits.

GreenKarl

First Post
Cool, so could Kospirian then assume to have +10Xp (for two connections with other characters & for the Dice roller which you already noted for me). I think I will leave my Duty at 10 for now.

I am going to flesh out and develop his racial moral code and come up with a name also. Could maybe this also be another +5 from your notes?? :D

Quickleaf

Legend
So the bonus XP are not meant to be excuses for me to be a generous lovable GM ;) OK, OK, I am, buuuut... They're meant to be real rewards for being thoughtful and detailed in a way that facilitates our game (especially the very beginning). They're meant to help me with planning things and help you with "what's my motivation here?" Our opening scene is going to be en media res, so the more we eliminate "I sit at the cantina, looking moody, not sure who I can trust, tight-lipped" the better.

Cool, so could Kospirian then assume to have +10Xp (for two connections with other characters & for the Dice roller which you already noted for me). I think I will leave my Duty at 10 for now.

I'll need to know more about your connections to other characters before awarding that bonus 5 XP. It's not automatic.

For example "We're brother and sister! Yeah, we came from the same homeworld!" would not be worth the bonus XP. The idea would need to be fleshed out. What does it mean to both of you being siblings, coming from your family? Do you see the family in the same light or have very different opinions? How long has it been since you've seen one another? And so on.

I am going to flesh out and develop his racial moral code and come up with a name also. Could maybe this also be another +5 from your notes?? :D

Well... Probably not. That said, if it feeds back into Kospirian's immediate hook/motive for being on Kabal, then yes, it probably would.

The bonus XP was created to do something specific: Facilitate an opening scene that feels like it could belong on the screen of a Star Wars movie. To me this means:
  • At least half the main characters are human. They're the "point of reference" to which the galactic strangeness around them can really shine. In a party of all alien gangsters and droids, that "point of reference" is lost which diminishes the specialness of being an alien or droid.
  • Many characters have past connections, whether they realize it or not. Chewie and Han have been friends for a long time. Leia and Luke are secretly siblings. That kind of stuff.
  • Characters have reasons for getting involved in the story. Even a character in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time or just freshly joining the Resistance has a reason. Rey has a soft spot for droids like BB8, which drags her into the conflict of The Force Awakens because BB8 is being hunted by the First Order. Finn helps Poe escape the First Order...it's the right thing to do, but he also needs a pilot before he is brought in for military disciplinary action for disobeying a kill command from Kylo Ren. Even a character like Poe Dameron has a lot of background (not appearing in the movie) about why he joined the Resistance.
  • Anything making the running of the game smoother over the Internet is a plus too. :)

GreenKarl

First Post
Cool, cool I will flesh out at least the connections more SO long as the other players are also cool with it. I don't want to assume or anything

Here is my current background. Need to work with it some more but figure getting eyes on it now will help with the writing.

Garrett spent his youth staring at the stars. He grew up working for his uncle as a scrapper, gathering salvage from the crashed ships throughout the forests and islands of the planet. Garrett never knew his father. His mother talked little of the man. He was a crew member on a trading vessel that ran the Sharlissian Trade Corridor. His mother said they had a brief love affair that lasted no more than a couple years. Then the vessel moved on to more profitable trade routes and the man was gone. The only reminder of his love was Garrett. His Uncle looked after his mother till Garrett was old enough to begin working on his crew. It was a tough life but he was good at it. He seemed to know where to point the crew. His uncle started calling him his good luck charm.

Garrett never wanted to be stuck in this back water hole. He dreamed of hopping on a freighter and taking it to the stars. He was a good pilot. His uncle said he was a natural. He could fly a tramp freighter from Triton to Sharlissia. He could even stop in and see his mother whenever he landed on Kabal. That all changed when Garrett’s uncle died. His mother came down with Zithrom's Syndrome only a couple months before his uncle’s accident. He couldn’t leave her. She’d die without him. But the medication that kept her alive did not come cheap. He began hunting for more expensive salvage and was barely able to acquire the medication. When he was short he had to go to the local loan shark and barrow the money. He quickly racked up a small debt which could take years to work off.

It was to try and buy out this debt that he went on a hunt. He used that sense deep inside that pointed him in the direction he needed. He came upon the wreck several days later. The ship still smoldered and the burns on the side did not look like it came from a lightning strike. What he was looking for was inside. He could feel it in his bones.

Character Sheet

Quickleaf

Legend
Would it be big stretch for a few knights of Ren to be on Kabal? Thinking that could be where the last stand happened.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Let's see...in this time period Luke had formed a (or perhaps restored an existing) Jedi temple on the planet Devaron. That seems to be where the main betrayal by the Knights of Ren occurred. It's possible some of them came to Kabal tracking your PC, however, as they are obsessed with wiping out any traces of the Jedi. And they might be searching "water planets" due to a force vision of Luke (actually on Ahch-To, but nobody knows that).

Remove ads