• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flight of the Resistance (Star Wars)

Thateous

Explorer
Dislike being the one to hold things up. Here is some progress.

turnin_the_jedi_by_0pandoras0tear0.jpg

Rico's early life never had any purpose other than survival.  Born on Gatalenta and an orphan of the war, Rico only knew the harsh side of life. Having to fight for scraps to ensure survival made him tough but brash. All he knew of his parents were they were informants for the Rebellion, but were captured by the Empire. Rico spent much of his early life alone until he was discovered by a visiting Jedi named Luke Skywalker. Luke had come to Gatalenta because of its rich Jedi history. Rico had no clue who the man was, but something pulled them toward each other. Luke saw the hidden potential within Rico and took him to train with the new Jedi Order he established.

As a padawan things were going great for Rico. His training gave him new purpose and focus as his outlook on life was becoming more hopeful, until the Knights of Ren attacked the temple while he was out with Master Uvell. Master Uvell, who'd survived order 66, was out on a week long expedition to show Rico how to attune to the surroundings to sense danger when he suddenly felt a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. Master Uvell and Rico rushed back to the temple to find it ablaze.

Master Uvell had been through this before and though he knew what he needed to do he was no less saddened by the sight before him. The temple was still burning as they attempted to find any survivors throughout the day. Rico could feel the anger welling within him at the sight of his fallen comrades even as Master Uvell reminded him of his training and what those thoughts would lead to. Rico turned to Master Uvell for guidance who suggested they set up camp so he can meditate for answers.

When morning came Master Uvell said his visions were clouded by a great disturbance in the force. He saw Luke Skywalker on a watery world, isolated. A friendly familiar face, Leia Organa and the Resistance. A cryptic message, “Find the children of the Force, seek the Mayagil sector.” Now with some direction, however cryptic, the pair set off for the Mayagil sector on the Rimma Trade Route

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
Dislike being the one to hold things up. Here is some progress.

Rico's early life never had any purpose other than survival.  Born on Gatalenta and an orphan of the war, Rico only knew the harsh side of life. Having to fight for scraps to ensure survival made him tough but brash. All he knew of his parents were they were informants for the Rebellion, but were captured by the Empire. Rico spent much of his early life alone until he was discovered by a visiting Jedi named Luke Skywalker. Luke had come to Gatalenta because of its rich Jedi history. Rico had no clue who the man was, but something pulled them toward each other. Luke saw the hidden potential within Rico and took him to train with the new Jedi Order he established.

As a padawan things were going great for Rico. His training gave him new purpose and focus as his outlook on life was becoming more hopeful, until the Knights of Ren attacked the temple while he was out with Master Uvell. Master Uvell, who'd survived order 66, was out on a week long expedition to show Rico how to attune to the surroundings to sense danger when he suddenly felt a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. Master Uvell and Rico rushed back to the temple to find it ablaze.

Master Uvell had been through this before and though he knew what he needed to do he was no less saddened by the sight before him. The temple was still burning as they attempted to find any survivors throughout the day. Rico could feel the anger welling within him at the sight of his fallen comrades even as Master Uvell reminded him of his training and what those thoughts would lead to. Rico turned to Master Uvell for guidance who suggested they set up camp so he can meditate for answers.

When morning came Master Uvell said his visions were clouded by a great disturbance in the force. He saw Luke Skywalker on a watery world, isolated. A friendly familiar face, Leia Organa and the Resistance. A cryptic message, “Find the children of the Force, seek the Mayagil sector.” Now with some direction, however cryptic, the pair set off for the Mayagil sector on the Rimma Trade Route

Good start :) It's ok if we are bit held up. I know that in general people are much less active on ENWorld over the weekends, so if I start us on Monday that's fine.

Realizing this is a work-in-progress, the only immediate question I have is you mention Rico's early life on Gatalenta was hard. While I only know what Wookieepedia says about that planet...it seems an unusual choice for someone who only knew the harsh side.

[SECTION]Gatalenta was a warm, uncommonly tranquil planet famed for its tea, lengthy, erudite poetry and meditative retreats. Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta and crying openly was considered a virtue and as proof of a caring heart.[/SECTION]

I'm particularly interested in how Rico ties into the immediate adventure? And, optionally, how we might expand on his vague Force connection to Arsinoë/Kospirian/Garret?

Thateous

Explorer
Edit: about Galatena. I mostly chose it to tie in to Luke's visit there and I'm sure it had its share of street rats.

Next paragraph start to tie in to the group starting with meeting the shaman hopefully before Kospirian.

On their journey they made several stops on many planets. One planet in particular, Akiva, had an Ahia-Ko shaman that Master Uvell sought out for direction. There they learned of a child of the Force being born into the prestigious Anjuliz family, so they backtracked to Corellia to seek out Kyrton, the head of the household. When they arrived everything appeared normal, but it was a trap. Kyrton was a former Imperial Navy Admiral who apparently wanted nothing to do with Jedi, so he placed a few calls and arranged to have them taken care of as they left.

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
turnin_the_jedi_by_0pandoras0tear0.jpg

When morning came Master Uvell said his visions were clouded by a great disturbance in the force. He saw Luke Skywalker on a watery world, isolated. A friendly familiar face, Leia Organa and the Resistance. A cryptic message, “Find the children of the Force, seek the Mayagil sector.” Now with some direction, however cryptic, the pair set off for the Mayagil sector on the Rimma Trade Route.

On their journey they made several stops on many planets. One planet in particular, Akiva, had an Ahia-Ko shaman that Master Uvell sought out for direction. There they learned of a child of the Force being born into the prestigious Anjuliz family, so they backtracked to Corellia to seek out Kyrton, the head of the household. When they arrived everything appeared normal, but it was a trap. Kyrton was a former Imperial Navy Admiral who apparently wanted nothing to do with Jedi, so he placed a few calls and arranged to have them taken care of as they left.

Master Uvell was first to react, using the Force to enhance his reflexes but, all they could do was run. Master Uvell broke a steam pipe and then hurled crates their pursuers buying them time. After a sharp turn into an alley he told Rico to, “Continue to seek out the Children of the Force”, just before shoving him in trash bin and continuing on. Before Rico could free himself he froze instinctively as the pursuers ran right past him. He was free, but alone and with only a vibrosword, a few creds, and an incomplete lightsaber.

Once again Rico found himself alone. Feeling all too familiar to him. For a second his resolve faltered and he actually considered abandoning the mission, thinking it too much for him to accomplish on His own, but something within him wouldn't allow it. For all his attempts to convince himself it wasn't his problem he still found himself heading for the Mayagil sector.

Clak’dor, Triton, and numerous other planets were visited, but nothing ever stuck out to Rico. With little direction to guide his search, Rico had little hope for the next planet, a criminal backwater planet named Kabal. When he set foot on Kabal he froze as a sudden surge of energy coarser through his body. There was something here with strong connections to the force, an artifact, a temple, or something else. Even as things were looking up for Rico he couldn't ignore the of doubt he felt scratching at the back of his mind.

Quickleaf

Legend

When morning came Master Uvell said his visions were clouded by a great disturbance in the force. He saw Luke Skywalker on a watery world, isolated. A friendly familiar face, Leia Organa and the Resistance. A cryptic message, “Find the children of the Force, seek the Mayagil sector.” Now with some direction, however cryptic, the pair set off for the Mayagil sector on the Rimma Trade Route.

Master Uvell was first to react, using the Force to enhance his reflexes but, all they could do was run. Master Uvell broke a steam pipe and then hurled crates their pursuers buying them time. After a sharp turn into an alley he told Rico to, “Continue to seek out the Children of the Force”, just before shoving him in trash bin and continuing on. Before Rico could free himself he froze instinctively as the pursuers ran right past him. He was free, but alone and with only a vibrosword, a few creds, and an incomplete lightsaber.

Once again Rico found himself alone. Feeling all too familiar to him. For a second his resolve faltered and he actually considered abandoning the mission, thinking it too much for him to accomplish on His own, but something within him wouldn't allow it. For all his attempts to convince himself it wasn't his problem he still found himself heading for the Mayagil sector.

Clak’dor, Triton, and numerous other planets were visited, but nothing ever stuck out to Rico. With little direction to guide his search, Rico had little hope for the next planet, a criminal backwater planet named Kabal. When he set foot on Kabal he froze as a sudden surge of energy coarser through his body. There was something here with strong connections to the force, an artifact, a temple, or something else. Even as things were looking up for Rico he couldn't ignore the of doubt he felt scratching at the back of his mind.

Some interesting elements to work with here. Like I did for the others, I have a couple questions...normally I'd comment on the character sheet as well, but in lieu of that I'll stick to your background...

1. I'm curious about Rico's motives. "Follow through on my master's commands for unknown reasons" seems a bit tenuous to me. It's OK if you want to start there, but....We'll need to expand on WHY is it important for Rico to do as Master Uvell said? Is it because Rico has some underlying motive for wanting to seek out the "Children of the Force", such as saving others from the Knights of Ren when he wasn't able to save his fellow padawans slain on Devaron? Is it because of a connection to Master Uvell, and you want to explore that relationship even with Uvell's absence (initially)? Or do you want me to introduce a surprise as GM that more tightly involves Rico into the action – and if so what sort of things motivate your jedi PC?

2. I like how you've deepened his connection to Arsinoë's family and Kyrton's trap; that's a tighter connection than "feels the Force" and something I can integrate into the story. With the visit to the Ahia-Ko shaman...I think we should develop that just a little more based on what Force power(s) you select...and integrate it more tightly to Kospirian... Maybe some kind of Force vision of one another? A pair of Akivan water compasses that lead to each other? The shaman giving Rico a specific secret message about Kospirian ( [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] ) not for Uvell's ears?

3. Looking at Rico's journey so far... Gatalenta, Corellia, Akiva, Triton and Clak'dor, and now Kabal... and he has really gotten around! Definitely that could be justification for some Knowledge (Core Worlds), Knowledge (Lore), Knowledge (Outer Rim), or Knowledge (Xenology). It sounds like he's been searching with Uvell for a long time, maybe years? How has that affected him? Is Rico more comfortable on a ship/in space than he is on terra firma? Does he resent the years of travel as "fruitless"?

4. What was/is Rico's relationship like with his mentor Master Uvell? Did you have any ideas in mind for Uvell or is he pretty much a blank template? From what I've gathered on Wookieepedia about Uvell it sounds like he'd be the type to take great precautions in advance to protect as many Force-users as possible from the Knights of Ren... Oh! Are you envisioning Rico starting with a lightsaber? Uvell seems like he may have been able to help with that, given his hiding old Jedi artifacts.

5. What is Rico's attitude toward the Resistance? Has he had any contact with it at all? From the embittered childhood you describe, it sounds like Rico might view the New Republic and First Order with equal skepticism and mistrust?

6. Speaking of which, with Rico "growing up the hard way", I'd like to tie that into Gatalenta a bit more. Galactic orphans/waifs are a dime-a-dozen in Star Wars, but each has a different flavor; for example, Luke being the naive space-dreaming son of water farmers on the desert planet Tatooine, or Rey being the waiting-for-her-family scavenger on the wastes of Jakku. What is the one-liner for Rico? Maybe...the tea production Gatalenta is famous for isn't all so enlightened as it's cracked up to be? Maybe "tea harvesters" are the impoverished class on Gatalenta? Maybe there are physical hazards such as toxic leaves or perilous heights that need to be climbed to harvest the leaves? Just throwing out ideas, but make it your own. B-)

7. How would you describe Rico's connection to the Force? For example, Arsinoë and Garrett don't even realize they're Force-sensitive just running on intuition, while Kospirian had a very unpleasant awakening with hallucinations that the Ahia-Ko shaman helped him to still. What about Rico? He's coming from the Jedi tradition, so I imagine his experience was much more structured? But was it always that way? What about before Luke Skywalker found him?

8. Do you already have a trajectory for Rico's character development/arc in mind? Do you want him to reencounter Master Uvell at some point? Or is that something you entirely want to discover during play?

9. The starting point for the adventure is in the rainforests of Kabal, specifically near an overgrown temple ruin. We could certainly say that it (and the approaching PCs) drew Rico there. But what might his involvement with the informant Skylark be? For example, Kospirian ( [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] ) knows about Skylark through the Resistance...and Rex ( [MENTION=6788545]xynthoros[/MENTION] ) probably would too, since they have the same Resistance handler. Arsinoë ( [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] ) is being blackmailed by Skylark. Garrett doesn't have a direct reason to get involved with Skylark yet...but the First Order is also after him for the data cylinder ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend"). What about Rico?

Here's a few crazy ideas...

(a) Rico has traveled a lot, so what if he and Master Uvell have visited the planet that Skylark is bringing intelligence about, a potential site for the Resistance, due to the strong Force presence permeating the planet? Would that make him disinclined toward any development there? Would he be hesitant about the Resistance building there, potentially drawing the First Order, when it could make a potential site to rebuild the Jedi Order? Or would he embrace it?

(b) Is Rico a celibate Jedi, like most of them are depicted, or have things changed since Master Uvell's disappearance? What if he had a tryst with Skylark, not realizing who she was at the time and then when he sees her again is in for a rude awakening? She'd be an older woman without any belief in the Force, so definitely a foil to Rico...

(c) Gatalenta isn't on any maps yet, so it doesn't have an official location... We could place Gatalenta in the Anoat Sector (e.g. near Bespin and Hoth), which is where Skylark is from, and in fact played a critical role breaking the Iron Blockade after Palpatine's death some 25 years ago. Depending on Rico's age, what if he knew stories about "the girl with the cybernetic leg brace" from his childhood? So she might be a childhood hero...which could make any morally questionable decisions she makes now all the more challenging for Rico to accept...

Thateous

Explorer
Some interesting elements to work with here. Like I did for the others, I have a couple questions...normally I'd comment on the character sheet as well, but in lieu of that I'll stick to your background...

1. I'm curious about Rico's motives. "Follow through on my master's commands for unknown reasons" seems a bit tenuous to me. It's OK if you want to start there, but....We'll need to expand on WHY is it important for Rico to do as Master Uvell said? Is it because Rico has some underlying motive for wanting to seek out the "Children of the Force", such as saving others from the Knights of Ren when he wasn't able to save his fellow padawans slain on Devaron? Is it because of a connection to Master Uvell, and you want to explore that relationship even with Uvell's absence (initially)? Or do you want me to introduce a surprise as GM that more tightly involves Rico into the action – and if so what sort of things motivate your jedi PC?

2. I like how you've deepened his connection to Arsinoë's family and Kyrton's trap; that's a tighter connection than "feels the Force" and something I can integrate into the story. With the visit to the Ahia-Ko shaman...I think we should develop that just a little more based on what Force power(s) you select...and integrate it more tightly to Kospirian... Maybe some kind of Force vision of one another? A pair of Akivan water compasses that lead to each other? The shaman giving Rico a specific secret message about Kospirian ( [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] ) not for Uvell's ears?

3. Looking at Rico's journey so far... Gatalenta, Corellia, Akiva, Triton and Clak'dor, and now Kabal... and he has really gotten around! Definitely that could be justification for some Knowledge (Core Worlds), Knowledge (Lore), Knowledge (Outer Rim), or Knowledge (Xenology). It sounds like he's been searching with Uvell for a long time, maybe years? How has that affected him? Is Rico more comfortable on a ship/in space than he is on terra firma? Does he resent the years of travel as "fruitless"?

4. What was/is Rico's relationship like with his mentor Master Uvell? Did you have any ideas in mind for Uvell or is he pretty much a blank template? From what I've gathered on Wookieepedia about Uvell it sounds like he'd be the type to take great precautions in advance to protect as many Force-users as possible from the Knights of Ren... Oh! Are you envisioning Rico starting with a lightsaber? Uvell seems like he may have been able to help with that, given his hiding old Jedi artifacts.

5. What is Rico's attitude toward the Resistance? Has he had any contact with it at all? From the embittered childhood you describe, it sounds like Rico might view the New Republic and First Order with equal skepticism and mistrust?

6. Speaking of which, with Rico "growing up the hard way", I'd like to tie that into Gatalenta a bit more. Galactic orphans/waifs are a dime-a-dozen in Star Wars, but each has a different flavor; for example, Luke being the naive space-dreaming son of water farmers on the desert planet Tatooine, or Rey being the waiting-for-her-family scavenger on the wastes of Jakku. What is the one-liner for Rico? Maybe...the tea production Gatalenta is famous for isn't all so enlightened as it's cracked up to be? Maybe "tea harvesters" are the impoverished class on Gatalenta? Maybe there are physical hazards such as toxic leaves or perilous heights that need to be climbed to harvest the leaves? Just throwing out ideas, but make it your own. B-)

7. How would you describe Rico's connection to the Force? For example, Arsinoë and Garrett don't even realize they're Force-sensitive just running on intuition, while Kospirian had a very unpleasant awakening with hallucinations that the Ahia-Ko shaman helped him to still. What about Rico? He's coming from the Jedi tradition, so I imagine his experience was much more structured? But was it always that way? What about before Luke Skywalker found him?

8. Do you already have a trajectory for Rico's character development/arc in mind? Do you want him to reencounter Master Uvell at some point? Or is that something you entirely want to discover during play?

9. The starting point for the adventure is in the rainforests of Kabal, specifically near an overgrown temple ruin. We could certainly say that it (and the approaching PCs) drew Rico there. But what might his involvement with the informant Skylark be? For example, Kospirian ( [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] ) knows about Skylark through the Resistance...and Rex ( [MENTION=6788545]xynthoros[/MENTION] ) probably would too, since they have the same Resistance handler. Arsinoë ( [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] ) is being blackmailed by Skylark. Garrett doesn't have a direct reason to get involved with Skylark yet...but the First Order is also after him for the data cylinder ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend"). What about Rico?

Here's a few crazy ideas...

(a) Rico has traveled a lot, so what if he and Master Uvell have visited the planet that Skylark is bringing intelligence about, a potential site for the Resistance, due to the strong Force presence permeating the planet? Would that make him disinclined toward any development there? Would he be hesitant about the Resistance building there, potentially drawing the First Order, when it could make a potential site to rebuild the Jedi Order? Or would he embrace it?

(b) Is Rico a celibate Jedi, like most of them are depicted, or have things changed since Master Uvell's disappearance? What if he had a tryst with Skylark, not realizing who she was at the time and then when he sees her again is in for a rude awakening? She'd be an older woman without any belief in the Force, so definitely a foil to Rico...

(c) Gatalenta isn't on any maps yet, so it doesn't have an official location... We could place Gatalenta in the Anoat Sector (e.g. near Bespin and Hoth), which is where Skylark is from, and in fact played a critical role breaking the Iron Blockade after Palpatine's death some 25 years ago. Depending on Rico's age, what if he knew stories about "the girl with the cybernetic leg brace" from his childhood? So she might be a childhood hero...which could make any morally questionable decisions she makes now all the more challenging for Rico to accept...

1. Rico is motivated by a drive to never feel alone again. The Jedi Order mission he is on is the only thing keeping him from reverting back to his old self. He has also never accomplished anything of meaning in his life and wishes to do something with his life. The Jedi gave him purpose and made him feel apart of something bigger than himself.

2. I am not yet sold on giving him the foresee ability as i'm leaning him more toward Guardian/Warrior than Sentinel.

3. Rico's years of exploration would be viewed as fruitless. He is quite comfortable on both a starship and a planet.

4. Master Uvell was much like an instructive father figure and I'm ok with starting with a lightsaber though Master Uvell would have taught him to be cautious in it's use as it advertises who and what you are.

5. Initially he doesn't trust either party as far as he can force push them, but after the betrayal by the First Order they would defiently be on his bad side. Aside from a few old rebel contacts that Master Uvell may have met along the way he knows little other than they are not inherantly evil. Just another organization in the vastness of space with it's own agendas both hidden and known.

6. I could swing things into a seedier side. The tea that Gatalenta is so famous for and the high society it has is proped up by child labor in tea harvesting industries. Their small soft hands are ideal for removing the tea leaves with minimal damage to the leaf. Rico could have acted as a Big Brother (Guardian) to some other urchins who turned to him for protection from the patrols that rounded them up like stray dogs.

7. Before Luke I would imagine that Rico thought what he sensed and felt was common place and that everyone felt connected in someway to all things, but it wouldnt have been until Luke and his formal Jedi training that he would have realized his connection is special. Hmm the more I make the character the more I feel he is more suited for Seeker.

8. Discover during play for sure. Meet briefly in passing. Ex-machina him in to a tough spot to bail us out. Show up as a Force spirit. All work for me.

9. I would say the growing number of force users gathering there drew him in.

10. And as far as crazy idea go, I choose C. hearing of the stories about the girl with the cybernetic leg brace and some icing on the cake. Maybe Skylark knew of Rico's parents and their fate. *GASP*

Quickleaf

Legend
Good stuff [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION]! Your character is really coming together well.

1. Rico is motivated by a drive to never feel alone again. The Jedi Order mission he is on is the only thing keeping him from reverting back to his old self. He has also never accomplished anything of meaning in his life and wishes to do something with his life. The Jedi gave him purpose and made him feel apart of something bigger than himself.
You're using Morality for Rico, right? This tug-of-war between his old self and his aspiration might be a good way to zero in on what his Emotional Strength and Emotional Weakness are.

2. I am not yet sold on giving him the foresee ability as i'm leaning him more toward Guardian/Warrior than Sentinel.

7. Before Luke I would imagine that Rico thought what he sensed and felt was common place and that everyone felt connected in someway to all things, but it wouldnt have been until Luke and his formal Jedi training that he would have realized his connection is special. Hmm the more I make the character the more I feel he is more suited for Seeker.

Hmm. So if you've narrowed it down to Guardian, Warrior, and/or Seeker...

Guardian specializations
Guardian could work if you see Rico as being strongly driven by a sense of responsibility/honor/tough love. Especially if you see Rico's mission being one of protecting those "Children of the Force" whom he encounters, then Guardian fits very well. For such a character to not be there to defend his fellows against the Knights of Ren could be something that troubles him deeply. Keeping the Peace has a good section on Guardian backgrounds that has TONS of character ideas.

Peacekeeper (F&D) – bringing an end to a tyrant's regime might fit Rico if you want to play up his backstory opposing Imperial Governor Adelhard of the Anoat Sector
Protector (F&D) – this could fit Rico very well, feeling honor-bound to protect the "Children of the Force" and maybe the entire Jedi Order, or we could even twist it and make him concerned with protecting his missing Master Uvell
Soresu Defender (F&D) – a precognitive defensive lightsaber style, this could have been the reason Rico survived the Knights of Ren, and might mean that he and Master Uvell are the last known practitioners in the galaxy, especially makes sense if he used it to survive Kyrton's betrayal
Armorer (KtP) – this could fit Rico if you wanted to play up the "scrapping together Jedi artifacts" aspect which Master Uvell could readily fit
Warden (KtP) – "know thy enemy" is the warden's byline, and if you see Rico as grudgingly seeing out the "Children of the Force", but privately hoping to strike at the Knights of Ren / the First Order, by relying on clever tricks and coercion more than brute force
Warleader (KtP) – this would add a new dimension to Rico if, for example, Master Uvell put him through tactical simulators, or he had experience from the Anoat Sector that Luke asked him to teach his fellow padawans how to fight an asymmetrical war

Warrior specializations
Warrior could work if you see Rico as being trained especially hard by Master Uvell, struggling with his darker aggressive impulses, or being driven to take his revenge/bring justice to the Knights of Ren.

Aggressor (F&D) – this could especially fit Rico if he's struggling with that darker part of himself, or, alternately, if the experience of violence he's seen so far has driven him to try to intimidate foes into surrender rather than killing them
Shii-Cho Knight (F&D) – this probably would be the lightsaber style that Master Uvell knows (having been a knight during the Clone Wars) and would initially teach to Rico
Starfighter Ace (F&D) – this would add a new dimension to Rico's character

Seeker specializations
Seeker could work if you see Rico as being guided more by the Force than by a sense of honor to fulfill Master Uvell's mission. Seekers generally embrace exploration – which seems less apt for Rico who is more mission-driven, but they also learn to be self-reliant – which seems very apt for Rico's background. Savage Spirits has a good section on Seeker backgrounds that has TONS of character ideas.

Ataru Striker (F&D) – very offensive/decisive lightsaber style, probably not what Master Uvell would teach, but could reflect Rico's brashness
Hunter (F&D) – feels a little more primitive and "monster/alien hunting" focused, probably not a good fit for Rico
Pathfinder (F&D) – [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION]'s Garrett already has this one...not if sure you guys want to double up...or maybe you do?
Executioner (SS) – focuses on ranged support, and is more kill-focused while Rico seems to be locating-and-defending focused
Hermit (SS) – living in isolation to commune with the Force and nature/animals? doesn't sound like Rico at all
Navigator (SS) – enjoy the thrill of discovery above all else, whether that discovery is a shortened trade route or an uncharted planet – going this route would definitely be adding a new dimension to Rico's character

4. Master Uvell was much like an instructive father figure and I'm ok with starting with a lightsaber though Master Uvell would have taught him to be cautious in it's use as it advertises who and what you are.
I'll leave whether Rico starts with a lightsaber entirely up to you. I'm fine with it either way.

6. I could swing things into a seedier side. The tea that Gatalenta is so famous for and the high society it has is proped up by child labor in tea harvesting industries. Their small soft hands are ideal for removing the tea leaves with minimal damage to the leaf. Rico could have acted as a Big Brother (Guardian) to some other urchins who turned to him for protection from the patrols that rounded them up like stray dogs.
Awesome, that's a terrific tragic backstory.

10. And as far as crazy idea go, I choose C. hearing of the stories about the girl with the cybernetic leg brace and some icing on the cake. Maybe Skylark knew of Rico's parents and their fate. *GASP*
Thanks for being open-minded. :) That'll make setting things up on my side of the "GM screen" easier.

EDIT: And I think you should have 15 bonus XP. That's +5 for playing a human, +5 for connections to other characters, and +5 for a story hook tying you in to Skylark.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=6788545]xynthoros[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION]

Here's the current character connections chart including the NPC Skylark... really great backstory emerging from all this!

I'll be posting our actual play thread shortly.

ZeNyQgV.png

xynthoros

First Post
Before I make my first post, I need to ask for some clarification. Rex has a general purpose scanner, it can detect motion out to 500 meters, life forms out to 1500 meters and comms signals out even further. Knowing that they are in danger, he would be using it to keep watch on their surrounding areas, what would he have picked up so far?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads