D&D Movie/TV Honor Among Thieves: The New D&D Movie Officially Announced

Paramount has announced the title of March 3rd, 2023's Dungeon's & Dragons movie -- and it's...

Paramount has announced the title of March 3rd, 2023's Dungeon's & Dragons movie -- and it's HONOR AMONG THIEVES!

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.26.11 PM.png

The cast includes some Hollywood heavyweights -- Chris Pine, Rege Jean Page, Michelle Rodriguez, Hugh Grant, and others. The release date was announced back in August:

‘Dungeons & Dragons’ reboot movie has officially wrapped up filming today (Aug. 19) in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Director John Francis Daley confirmed via his Twitter account. The film is currently set to be released on March 3, 2023.

Starring Chris Pine in the leading role, Paramount’s upcoming action fantasy movie officially began filming on April 29, with the cast and crew of around 60-70 people. The movie was also filmed reportedly in Iceland for a week or two.

Jonathan Goldstein is co-directing and writing the script for the film with John Francis Daley. Jeremy Latcham is producing through his deal with studio eOne, Hasbro’s entertainment arm. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner is also producing. Other producers also include Stephen Davis, Roy Lee, Courtney Solomon, and Allan Zeman. Denis L. Stewart is serving as executive producer.

Dungeons & Dragons is an upcoming American fantasy adventure film based on the RPG of the same name and a reboot of the film series of the same name. The plot details of the film are still kept under the wraps.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, Chloe Coleman, Jason Wong, Daisy Head, and Sophia Lillis. Regé-Jean Page is known for Shonda Rhimes’s wildly popular Bridgerton on Netflix, the actor wrapped his part in the first week of August. In December 2020, Chris Pine was cast to star in the film, he is reportedly getting $11.5 Million to star in this film. Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis joined the cast in the following months, with Grant cast as the antagonist, Forge Fletcher, and Lillis as Doric. My Spy star Chloe Coleman along with Jason Wong and Daisy Head also joined the ensemble cast. Wong is playing Dralas.

The cast also includes Nicholas Blane, Dan Poole, Barry O'Connor, Adrian Christopher, and Lati Gbaja.

Even before production started, the film had undergone numerous changes. The film was first announced by Warner Bros. in 2013 and then moved to Paramount in 2017. The film's release date has also changed significantly; it was originally scheduled for July 23, 2021. The release date was then pushed back to May 27, 2022, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and then to November 19, 2021, to accommodate the release of Mission: Impossible 7. The release date was pushed back to March 3, 2023, earlier this year (current release date).

Dungeons & Dragons is a leading fantasy entertainment franchise, fueled by the imagination of storytellers around the world. More than 40 million fans have interacted with or played D&D since it was first published 46 years ago.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hahahah, was that post really almost 20 years ago?
Yep

edit Dang it, I shouldn't have started reading that, because I miss Brian (Blackberry). I can't believe it's been several years since he passed. He was a great guy.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
A ridiculously good deal. Solomon's aunt, Lorraine Williams, was in charge of TSR at the time and gave her nephew a deal too good for a seasoned producer, much less someone with Solomon's lack of experience. Nepotism, gotta love it!
This is it, I must have confused Williams relationship with Dille with her relationship with Solomon.
You may want to update/edit your original post with your recent realization, so others don't get misinformed if they don't read the whole thread or before they finish it.
I never heard that he was Lorraine's nephew. That explains a lot.

Didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone pointed out already that the setting of the original movie was actually co-written by Dave Arneson? :) If people should indeed return to Izmer (?), then that would be a nod to his legacy, too! :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone pointed out already that the setting of the original movie was actually co-written by Dave Arneson? :) If people should indeed return to Izmer (?), then that would be a nod to his legacy, too! :)
Heh, I've had my own issues with mistaken bombshells upthread . . . But, gonna need a source for this one. To my knowledge, Arneson's only involvement with the first movie was a cameo that got cut in editing.

Heh, I've had my own issues with mistaken bombshells upthread . . . But, gonna need a source for this one. To my knowledge, Arneson's only involvement with the first movie was a cameo that got cut in editing.

My colleague at the Comeback Inn, Havard, quotes another user's correspondence with Mr Arneson in this thread. So, the world was originally Corey Solomon's, but Arneson retconned it for his world of Blackmoor.

However, Arneson wrote the promotional pieces that were on the WotC website - essentially, a history of Izmer, plus a description of every day life in the magocracy. The links can be found in another thread here on ENW:

It seems like the articles are not available on the WotC website, any more, though. I've seen them preserved on different fora, and I think they should be available via the Wayback Machine, as well. I have one of the articles saved on my HD; if the mods don't object, I'll be happy to share it as an attachment.

Here's a preview:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-24 200013.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-24 200013.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 83

Dire Bare

Legend

My colleague at the Comeback Inn, Havard, quotes another user's correspondence with Mr Arneson in this thread. So, the world was originally Corey Solomon's, but Arneson retconned it for his world of Blackmoor.

However, Arneson wrote the promotional pieces that were on the WotC website - essentially, a history of Izmer, plus a description of every day life in the magocracy. The links can be found in another thread here on ENW:

It seems like the articles are not available on the WotC website, any more, though. I've seen them preserved on different fora, and I think they should be available via the Wayback Machine, as well. I have one of the articles saved on my HD; if the mods don't object, I'll be happy to share it as an attachment.

Here's a preview:
That's pretty cool, but it's not the same thing as Arneson "co-wrote" the setting for the movie. He adapted it after the fact for a promotional module and articles and then for his own setting, Blackmoor.

Not trying to downplay his involvement . . . I think it was neat that Solomon reached out and involved him in the movie, both with the cameo and the promotional articles. And I think it's neat that Arneson seemed to really take to the movie's setting, to incorporate it into his classic setting of Blackmoor.

I seem to remember that Solomon loosely based Izmir on the Mystara campaign, which itself incorporated Arneson's Blackmoor setting into it's ancient history. Seems things came full circle!

Remove ads

Remove ads