D&D 5E How on earth is this balanced?! Twilight cleric, more in-play evidence

I ruled that there was a glow effect that enemies could see centred on the cleric.

Still OP though. The cleric built there character tanky, so even when the enemies do focus fire on her she is drawing aggro from the more vulnerable party members. It doesn't require concentration to maintain.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I have a twilight cleric in a game I'm running. The party is 8th level. The twilight CD is nice - exactly as a feature should be. But it's not overwhelming, as it's a buffer to the damage but definitely a minority. It's best when there are foes with AoE attacks. But two giants attacking the tank it's noticeable but not a big percentage.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
I ruled that there was a glow effect that enemies could see centred on the cleric.

Still OP though. The cleric built there character tanky, so even when the enemies do focus fire on her she is drawing aggro from the more vulnerable party members. It doesn't require concentration to maintain.

You ever consider ignoring the cleric and focusing on one of the glass cannons? If I wanted to really beat on your PCs (say as a lich, mind flayer or other smart tactician,) knowing the tankiness of the cleric, my first move would be to seperate the party members with a breath weapon, wall or area denial spell. Then I'd pick on an arcane caster or rogue. Meanwhile, I'm keeping distance between me (or my valuable troops) and the melee threats. Once a couple PCs are down then I reevaluate, and potentially consider the cleric and melee types for elimination.

Is that how I'd always run the fight? Obviously not, but that's how I'd run it when the enemies know about the PCs, or can observe them in combat, and have the tactical ability to exploit that knowledge.

Edit: letting the cleric trivialize the occasional encounter seems like a reasonable trade-off to planning more lethal encounters.

Having played a Twilight cleric for a few sessions now, I think the right description is "power creep". Not overpowered or unbalanced, but slightly more powerful than the base class.

All things considered, I'm still impressed with the relatively small amount of power creep in this edition, given how long its been current.

TheSword

Legend
It’s worth noting that as the cleric levels up it becomes less impactful, but still worthwhile. Enemies are increasing damaged by more than +1 which Is the rate the ability scales at per level.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Twilight is definitely OP... like much in Tasha's. 🤷‍♂️

300 ft darkvision? plus sharing it with your party!

Temp HP for up to 10 rounds for your entire party (potentially). Sure, not as useful later on, but still useful. Way better than many Channel Divinities out there...

Oh, and let's not forget advantage on Initiative for a creature you choose, pretty much whenever you want since there isn't limited uses. If you roll once for the entire combat (RAW), can be very nice as well.

Of course, at 6th level you can FLY for 10 rounds per use for that feature.

And if you make it to 8th level, the common (but certainly useful) Divine Strike.

Honestly, is there anything about this Domain that is even remotely "poor"? IME most subclasses have a feature or two that is fairly meh, but not this one.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Twilight is definitely OP... like much in Tasha's. 🤷‍♂️

300 ft darkvision? plus sharing it with your party!

Temp HP for up to 10 rounds for your entire party (potentially). Sure, not as useful later on, but still useful. Way better than many Channel Divinities out there...

Oh, and let's not forget advantage on Initiative for a creature you choose, pretty much whenever you want since there isn't limited uses. If you roll once for the entire combat (RAW), can be very nice as well.

Of course, at 6th level you can FLY for 10 rounds per use for that feature.

And if you make it to 8th level, the common (but certainly useful) Divine Strike.

Honestly, is there anything about this Domain that is even remotely "poor"? IME most subclasses have a feature or two that is fairly meh, but not this one.
The dark vision is stupid both mechanicaly and thematically, but doesn't really over power them. Cut it to 60' and move on. The flight, while extreme at that level, is limited enough that it shouldn't be a game breaker. No worse than Aarakocra or Yuan-ti racials.

Nothing else is particularly potent, but its definitely the top cleric subclass by a wide margin.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The dark vision is stupid both mechanicaly and thematically, but doesn't really over power them. Cut it to 60' and move on. The flight, while extreme at that level, is limited enough that it shouldn't be a game breaker. No worse than Aarakocra or Yuan-ti racials.

Nothing else is particularly potent, but its definitely the top cleric subclass by a wide margin.
Oh, a few tweaks and it is reasonable... I agree with that. My point is that as written it is OP to my mind, but I also prefer a lower-power game.

Remove ads