D&D (2024) I think we are on the cusp of a sea change.

I'd suggest the first fully formed RPG for all styles was Traveller, most Traveller publications either supported all sorts of gaming, or kind of just let you explore as you wanted.
I don't know, there where quite a lot of RPGs coming out about then, and most of them didn't think they needed to tell you how to play. Traveller was particularly well supported with a wide variety of supplements though. Maybe it helped to have those small rulebooks?
Eh. The early versions of Traveler only really supported two kinds of game worth a damn; space merchants and mercenaries. The character generation was too random for much else.
...And I guess this illustrates the drawback. It didn't matter that character generation was random, because there didn't have to be combat so "sub-optimal characters" didn't matter. A Scientist with Computer-3, Admin-1 was just fine. But I guess not everyone realised that.

Staffan

Legend
5th Edition is a pretty flexible game system. I can't see why WOTC can just put out a book of "Game Modes" for D&D, with tutorials on multiple approaches to play. Then, write up a chapter teaching how novice DMs could DIY their own setting, put together using templates provided in the book.

You could have a chapter on each genre or play style. This could serve to include your entire player base, encourage them to try out different kinds of play styles under the "D&D Umbrella", and capture all of the customers. This would also increase interaction between groups of players, and introduce cross pollination of play styles and bring disparate players together as groups tried out each others' games.

There could be chapters on short term campaigns, and running very long campaigns. You could also have an introductory rules set, intermediate and hard mode. The hard mode could increase player mortality, and up the challenge in general, for players who are less casual and enjoy beating challenges as a team.

Genre chapters could include: Gritty Swords & Sorcery play, Planetary Romance/Science Fantasy play, CW-style fantasy teen relationship play (which I think is what Strixhaven is), Epic Heroic Fantasy, Classic Dungeon crawls, Crit Role style comedy romp/set piece action sequence games, Mysteries (like Candlekeep), Historical Realism or Arthurian Romance.
From what I understand, Wizards would rather provide these as setting books on their own. So instead of having a chapter on "Here's how to run horror in D&D" in a "D&D World Guide", they have Ravenloft. Instead of "flirty school game", they have Strixhaven.

TheSword

Legend
Changes of course… sea changes… now? I don’t think so.

Adventures have been episodic since the start of 5e. Tyranny of Dragons? Curse of Strahd? Out of the Abyss? Small chapters and self contained chunks. Rime of the Frost Maiden just took it a stage further. I’d say even that the episodic early adventure paths were very similar. Gathering of Winds and Three Faces of Evil are both broken up into smaller segments capable of completion in a 3 hour session.

The game has been getting more and more diverse and less entrenched every edition. Look at 3e with its lawful good half orcs and improving diversity in artwork. This has been going on a long time.

I see no evidence at all that 5e is more story based than previous editions… that’s entirely depending on who’s playing and how they choose to run the game and the suggestion it’s is, is really an extension of the stormwind fallacy.

5e is making changes, but nothing we haven’t seen coming for a long long time. And nothing that fundamentally changes the game.

Last edited:

cowpie

Adventurer
I, for one, appreciate the subtlety. That’s the kind of thing I’ve been wanting in a monster description for at least twenty years. Bonus points if they give us a few examples for each monster.
I guess my issue with it, is that in every edition of the game there is always a disclaimer that the game is yours, you are free to do whatever you want with it. Also, the hobby evolved out of hobbies like military modeling (and things like knitting clubs, quilting circles, etc) where people made stuff, and took it to their club members to show off. For D&D this was "look at my home made adventure everyone" or "check out at this new monster I made". So it was assumed that if there's a description in the monster manual, players have always been free to not use the vanilla description, and customize things. Customizing things is actually part of the fun.

For example, I've had orcs in a game who were just bad guy stormtroopers, existing to threaten the PCs. I've also had orcs who were cultured diplomats visiting from a rival kingdom, who the PCs were assigned to protect as bodyguards. I guess I just thought it was already understood that players have been free to customize things from day one.

I guess this has to do with newer players having less time to play, and wanting the content pre-made and ready to go per their preferences, and a move away from wanting to customize stuff.

I guess my issue with it, is that in every edition of the game there is always a disclaimer that the game is yours, you are free to do whatever you want with it.
This is true - but it's also very clear that a what most people did was ignore the disclaimer. If you have to beat people over the head with it to make the point then that's what you do.

Rune

Once A Fool
I guess my issue with it, is that in every edition of the game there is always a disclaimer that the game is yours, you are free to do whatever you want with it. Also, the hobby evolved out of hobbies like military modeling (and things like knitting clubs, quilting circles, etc) where people made stuff, and took it to their club members to show off. For D&D this was "look at my home made adventure everyone" or "check out at this new monster I made". So it was assumed that if there's a description in the monster manual, players have always been free to not use the vanilla description, and customize things. Customizing things is actually part of the fun.

For example, I've had orcs in a game who were just bad guy stormtroopers, existing to threaten the PCs. I've also had orcs who were cultured diplomats visiting from a rival kingdom, who the PCs were assigned to protect as bodyguards. I guess I just thought it was already understood that players have been free to customize things from day one.

I guess this has to do with newer players having less time to play, and wanting the content pre-made and ready to go per their preferences, and a move away from wanting to customize stuff.
I think it’s also a byproduct of the ongoing conversion of D&D from hobby to entertainment.

Tinkering will still happen, and we may even be provided tools for it, but an increasing proportion of players and even DMs will have no interest in doing so. Nevermind that the increasing proportion of D&D viewers also will likely not do so.

cowpie

Adventurer
True, but does WOTC really want to cater to people who need to be hit on the head to get something as basic as this? I mean, every Hollywood movie since 1932 has a similar disclaimer at the end credits stating:

"The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred."

This is pretty much old news, and a well established practice, but I guess there will always be people who either don't know, won't be satisfied with this.

Maybe if WOTC tried to educate the audience about their disclaimer, eventually they'd get it, and WOTC wouldn't feel the need to keep editing stuff and expurgate content.

cowpie

Adventurer
I think it’s also a byproduct of the ongoing conversion of D&D from hobby to entertainment.

Tinkering will still happen, and we may even be provided tools for it, but an increasing proportion of players and even DMs will have no interest in doing so. Nevermind that the increasing proportion of D&D viewers also will likely not do so.
Yeah, I think this is what it comes down to -- there's a lot of casual players, and WOTC is going to target that audience first.

I'm not suggesting we ignore Apocalypse World; I'm saying that if we're going to treat it as more representative than MYZ, you need to make the argument why it is, and not just beg the question.
I've made the argument already. Now you're just not bothering to read, is pretty sad stuff.

To repeat, the argument is that it's been hugely influential on TTRPGs, with PtbA-based and then FitD-based RPGs being gigantic for last most-of-a-decade. You don't get to talk about "small-press fantasy heartbreakers" in the '90s (which actually, I'm well aware of - they all sold like three copies) and pretend you don't know about this.

MYZ got a cheesy and not-very-good turn-based shooter based on it, that was financially unsuccessful, and hasn't had much influence, certainly outside of the Scandi scene.
You obviously never saw the large number of fantasy heartbreakers out there. You can, indeed, argue they were not exactly knocking the doors down, but there were a lot of them, and they weren't less successful than in gestalt than a number of non-class and level systems out at the same time. I have boxes full of the latter out in the garage.
Absolutely they were "less successful in gestalt".

I have no idea why you think otherwise. None. Pretty much all of them flopped very rapidly. They didn't go on to edition after edition like other stuff. I remember I used to go to all the Oxford Street-adjacent RPG shops in the early '90s, which was quite a number, not just Orcs Nest. Virgin Megastore was actually particularly good if you wanted to see totally rando small-press heartbreaker stuff. For some reason they had even broader stock than full-on RPG stores like Orcs Nest. Every month it seemed like they had a couple of copies of some new fantasy heartbreaker. And they'd be there for the rest of eternity, until Virgin Megastore got shut down.

I remember when I went to the US a ton in the 2004-2006, I visited the various FLGSes in that area. They had some really incredible ancient stuff in like bargain racks at the back - some of the very same fantasy heartbreakers from the '90s.

I think I understand the problem now, though, you're not actually interested in actual success or influence. You're not interested in what games actually shaped things. You're just counting. Not money even, or sales numbers. Just like "X games of Y type". Even if they were all small-press failures, you're treating them as mattering. The same with post-apocalyptic RPGs. As a genre, they're extremely minor. Those games aren't typically very successful, or influential (with Apocalypse World the main exception, which was influential rather than making huge money). But you seem to think we have to consider them - we don't. If you regularly saw what actually sold at FLGSes and so on it was extremely obvious. There was a reason some games occupied many shelves and had dozens of supplements, and apart from AD&D and RIFTS (and briefly Earthdawn) they typically weren't class/level-based.

A half-dozen fantasy heartbreakers everyone has now forgotten (and I definitely remember them existing, but most are 100% forgotten now) wouldn't match the sales or influence of some individual World of Darkness splatbooks - I don't even mean corebooks - I mean splatbooks. I'd be willing to bet say, Clanbook: Tremere alone outsold an awful lot of fantasy heartbreakers.

The same "real success doesn't matter" attitude is seemingly reflected in a later claim:
I'd argue the success of MMOs have just taken a while to completely splay across other genres. If you don't think so, well, you don't.
Are you trying to say is the MMOs helped influence other video games into including "RPG mechanics"? If so I mostly-agree (it's a bit more complex but there's some truth there).

But the situation we have now might trace back to MMOs popularizing class & level, but it's certainly not solely caused by them nor is it what is the major influence today. They're a relatively niche kind of game, despite once being very successful. Someone who is 20 today may well never have played a full-on MMORPG. But they've probably played a bunch of games, maybe even most of their games from their teens and onwards, with classes and levels.
If you ignore the direct 5e knockoffs I don't have much sign class-and-level systems are any more common than they ever were, and if you count knockoffs, there were an enormous amound of D&D3e era ones in that period.
I agree completely. I never suggested that was the case.

The gamers aren't looking for alternative class-and-level games. Why would they? D&D 5E is right here. That's part of why D&D 5E is so successful, and why people are sticking with D&D so well.

"The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred."
LOL!

Bro, you don't understand why that is there.

It has nothing to do with "educating the audience", for goodness sakes. Why would think that? Can you explain? It's there to stop them getting sued. That's the sole purpose. It isn't there for the audience at all, it's there for the lawyers.

Remove ads