• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Leading you to my companions hiding spot? And bringing the dagger here? That would be the same as giving it to you once we're in your camp. I can take you to my companions, but you and maybe one other, no more. Assuming the commander agrees to your plan. We're cautious with reason - we know the snake-people can charm people and offer them their wishes. Easily swayed, mortals are."

OOC: Marius wouldn't say the last part that way, but I couldn't resist.

Signalling others to remain hidden, Hagadark downs one his extracts and calls out, his voice deep rumble bass of an ogre, giant or big half-ogre.

"Not kill Gott, witch! Me hungry! Serve you, I will. Food! Pig!"
He hangs tanglefoot bag onto his belt for easy access and prepares another potion, but this one remains in his hand. In the other he clutches his falchion.
Making another, strong hand signal, he holds his orcs at the ready but hidden.
Drinking the potion his size increases until he stands (well, crouches) down under suddenly too small boulder. His shoulders and back are visible, but not his face or the color of his skin. Hagadark knows the witch would recognize an orc, but she may think him orog. Anything that could show her to the hunters before she starts slinging spells.
"No kill!"

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

After considering the monk’s words for a while, the dwarf agrees to the plan. Leaving the pavilion, he issues a simple command, having one of his riders follow him, as another goes fetch the captain. Both men follow Marius with trusting steps, watching the area for potential threats.

[If Marius takes them straight to the hideout, it goes as follows; otherwise, we’ll include details with the following posts]

The dwarves meet both companions as they study the area for movement. Arvana seems to be ready to enter the encampment, probably concerned about Marius’ fate. The dwarves measure the other two companions, studying their features. The lead rider looks at Marius, attentive to every minor gesture.

“I thought you were four” – he says, without any tact. “Bah, doesn’t matter. Do you have it?” – he points towards the duo. “We can’t go ‘ound trusting everyone. We believe we have spies in our midst. Maybe even betrayers.”

HAGADARK

The beasts move forward, sniffing around as they try to find their companions, snorting and crying loudly. As the alchemist employs his concoctions, he listens to a distant, faint noise, as if a voice around the walls whispered incantations. The giantess still can’t be seen. Suddenly, the noise stops, engulfed by the agitation risen by the boars. Slowly, the creature appears inside the room. It’s massive shape comes from the other chamber, even more brutal than Hagadark remembered. She drags her feet, looking around for him, squinting as she tries to find him among the boulders. The boars begin to calm down, moving forward in search of their equals.

[Map updated]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1405717895
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION]

Neurotic

Marius would lead them close, but not directly toward their hiding place. He would also make more noise than his companions ever heard from him, the robes rushing as he goes.

But he doesn't warn them of any danger, just gives them time to prepare.

"You need to hear what we found out. Using the dagger is bad idea even if snake people kill more of us. They can be defeated."

Last edited:

Neurotic

"We ran into a tomb of some forgotten god-like creature that creators of the dagger summoned to help them deal with their enemies. But the cure was worse than the illness as they couldn't get rid of it afterwards. Ancient magic, long forgotten was used and I'm afraid that the dagger will be used to unleash that evil against the snakes.

Do you know what Dram plans to do with the dagger? Mages and ancient power - dangerous combination."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“Somethin’s ‘appenin’,” Morgrym told Arvana, indicating the rising dust cloud. “Sounds like a fight’s comin’.” They spot Marius coming out of the tent again, and he and two dwarves leave the camp, approaching their rocky hideout. Morgrym steps out warily to meet them.

“Aye, betrayers,” the surly dwarf says, clutching his battle axe. “An’ why shuild we trust ye wi’ such a dark secret.” He sniffed and wiped his nose on his beard. “Ye might ‘ave bigger problems.” He indicated the cloud of dust.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

"We ran into a tomb of some forgotten god-like creature that creators of the dagger summoned to help them deal with their enemies. But the cure was worse than the illness as they couldn't get rid of it afterwards. Ancient magic, long forgotten was used and I'm afraid that the dagger will be used to unleash that evil against the snakes.

“Smells bad…” – the second rider says, glancing at the lead rider. “Really, we should take the bloody thing and destroy it. By any means necessary”. – the lead rider looks at his companion, and back at the trio.

“I’d love to do it. Believe me, I really would.” – he answers. The heaviness of their expressions suggests they might be withholding information, and they do not seem willing to negotiate.

Do you know what Dram plans to do with the dagger? Mages and ancient power - dangerous combination."

“Not a clue.” – says the lead rider. “He has proven to be trustworthy in the past, though. Or so says the captain. He never heard my advice on the matter.” – he looks over his shoulders and continues. “Honestly, though, I think the captain trusts him too much. He’s no maranan, has no direct interests in the cause, and nothing tells me he won’t take the damn thing and leave us behind without fulfilling his end of the bargain… And that’s the pretty picture. Worst case scenario, he slays the messengers, and then us, using that accursed blade. And then, gods know what he’ll do.” – the rider distrust is quite evident.

“Aye, betrayers,” the surly dwarf says, clutching his battle axe. “An’ why shuild we trust ye wi’ such a dark secret.” He sniffed and wiped his nose on his beard. “Ye might ‘ave bigger problems.” He indicated the cloud of dust.

“You shouldn’t. Sure as hell I don’t trust you.” – the lead rider answers Morgrym directly. Dwarven habits. As Morgrym warns them of the impending danger, he turns to the group. “But we should get back to camp. No choice now. There are things stirring up in the darkness, and if it is what I think it is, well… We’ll have a long night ahead of us.” – he turns back, pointing to one of the closest tents. “Let’s go there. Nice, quiet place. Captain will be waiting. And then we’ll see what’s what.” – he starts towards the tents, turning over his shoulder to address Morgrym. “Grontar’s meeting gone sower, snakes everywhere… Someone gave the line to them. Someone big. Captain won’t take your word for it. Be ready to show the damn thing if you want some trust around here.” – he shrugs as he walks, apparently concerned with the potential attack.

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION]

Neurotic

"We want to help. But if we walk with you we're giving that thing to Dram. Can we trust you, personally? Are you loyal to Maran or to your commander? Grontar was lost because someone betrayed you. How about we show it to the commander like this?"
Marius concentrates and the dragons on his kimono change - they now show the dagger on one side and Vradna, killed snake-knight on the other.

"This will show we know what we're talking about. And we will not need to test your loyalty. We fought snake-knight. And we won without too many wounds. We destroyed his accursed armor and claimed his sword."

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

Are you loyal to Maran or to your commander? Grontar was lost because someone betrayed you. How about we show it to the commander like this?

“Keep it secret if you must. I’d go the same way.” – he stops and motions towards the images, his concerned brow rising. The encampment seems to rise in agitation. The lead rider strikes his beard, looks to the sides, nervously, and finally says: “I’m with Maran first. Captain’s with Maran. So I’m with the captain. Don’t mean I agree with him on Dram. Don’t mean I agree with him about this… thing.” – he motions to the place where the dagger’s image appeared moments before.

The second rider breaks the silence.

“You’re right about one thing, mister…” – he points at Marius. “You enter that camp and the dagger goes to Dram. Captain would have no other way. Thing is…” – he measures his words and falls silent.

“Thing is we know what it does” – the lead rider, apparently named Rhasa, finishes the sentence. “And I reckon Grontar knows – knew, as well.” – he hesitates for a moment, great tension rising from him, as if he was about to take a great risk with his words. “I guess that’s why he hired you fellas. He needed messengers that’d be none the wiser, people that might bleed on the thing for him. People to be imprisoned in his stead.”

He stops for a moment, trembling, his fists tight.

“So it’s Maran in exchange of some poor souls, to be stuck forever with this thing. Either that, or we bet big and try to find another way out. Something we don’t believe possible.” – he glances at the trio, and then at the horizon.

“I can take you into the camp. Odds are captain will not let you leave until he’s sure you go to Dram. Or… Damn! Or I can help you out of here… My men and I. And we destroy this aberration, and find another way to break the blockade.”

“What do you say?” – he looks once more to the horizon. “We don’t have much time. Soon we’ll be locked inside a battlefield.”

@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @MetaVoid

Last edited:

Neurotic

"Forever is long time - it will be destroyed eventually. My order has sworn against such magics - souls are the most precious things in the world. If Maran goes down, it will go down fighting, to the last blood. Lets go fight this fight. We can discuss the thing later. What say you, Morgrym? Arvana, you didn't sign for this, we'll understand if you go your own way."

If his companions have no objections Marius joins the dwarves
"How many of the snakes are there? Is there an army of them or just several leaders with various 'lesser' humanoids? Lets fight first, talk to the commander later. That way we all have a chance to think on it."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads