• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

HAGADARK

The beasts move forward, sniffing around as they try to find their companions, snorting and crying loudly. As the alchemist employs his concoctions, he listens to a distant, faint noise, as if a voice around the walls whispered incantations. The giantess still can’t be seen. Suddenly, the noise stops, engulfed by the agitation risen by the boars. Slowly, the creature appears inside the room. It’s massive shape comes from the other chamber, even more brutal than Hagadark remembered. She drags her feet, looking around for him, squinting as she tries to find him among the boulders. The boars begin to calm down, moving forward in search of their equals.

Hagadark slowly stands up keeping his long black hair across his face and keeping his weapon arm under giantess line of sight.
"No kill! Gott, gud. Serve." even in his altered state which he knows dulls his wits somewhat he finds this kind of speech difficult. At least he has enough time to think what he will do. Considering his wrist sheaths with acid flask and ghostretch his thinks what would be better against the caster. Damage is always good and giants are resilient bunch. He shouldn't waste an expensive weapon that may or may not work. He just hopes his orcs will keep cool head. She just needs to come 20 or so feet closer to be in range of Klutha and the others.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“I know I’d rather fight snakes than fellow dwarves,” Morgrym said. “Ain’t nae one touchin’ the thrice be damned thing ‘less we say so, cap’n or nae cap’n. We’ll determine if this Dram fella be deservin’. ‘Oo is ‘e, anyway?” the surly dwarf asked, taking a few swings with his axe to loosen up for the battle to come.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

What say you, Morgrym? Arvana, you didn't sign for this, we'll understand if you go your own way."

Arvana measures the desert, the dwaves and her companions. “You’ll need all the help you can get” – she says without second thoughts. “Besides, if the world’s burning, might as well fight the fires.”

"How many of the snakes are there? Is there an army of them or just several leaders with various 'lesser' humanoids? Lets fight first, talk to the commander later. That way we all have a chance to think on it."

“If it’s anything like the group we met before, we’re talking at least twenty snake captains. As for the rest, a mix of saurians, both tall and short, three times the amount of our soldiers.” – that might include anything from lizardmen to kobolds, as far as maranans understand. They’ve taken a liking to the term “saurian” as a designation of the elder lizard-like peoples of Gaelia, since the days of Maran’s foundation. Back west, near Taraz, this rings even truer, for many beasts still resemble giant lizards, amassing their power and strength. Lately, they’ve been known to roam the edges of the desert, and it wouldn’t be entirely surreal to find other saurian breeds within the approaching army.

“I know I’d rather fight snakes than fellow dwarves,” Morgrym said. “Ain’t nae one touchin’ the thrice be damned thing ‘less we say so, cap’n or nae cap’n. We’ll determine if this Dram fella be deservin’. ‘Oo is ‘e, anyway?” the surly dwarf asked, taking a few swings with his axe to loosen up for the battle to come.

“Dram lives on a manor to the east, concealed by hidden paths and strong walls. Odds are you still can slide and leave towards him, but the troops must remain. Captain’s moving there to secure the towers, most likely. We gotta organize our defense here. If you’re bound on fighting, help me decide how to use you. Their lot’s gonna meet us in an hour, maybe hour’n-a-half, considering the distance and the size of their troops. We have a few options around here: ruins, old walls, some rocks. No wood, though.” – he invites the group to follow him to the camp, where they can plan their next move.

[If the companions are set on fighting, as I imagine they are, the scene goes down as follows; otherwise, inform the new direction and I’ll edit the post!]

Within the camp, Rhasa quickly guides the visitors to a tent serviced by the tools of war. Maps and scrolls aplenty, several weapons between shovels, picks, shields, axes and crossbows, as well as several concoctions, not unlikely those the group found back at the tomb. After conferring with a soldier, the lead rider points towards the map, serving himself water from a jug and offering the others. “Drink. It might be your last chance for several hours…” – he points towards the map as he sips. The other rider, following the group in silence at all times, smiles as he grabs a cup himself. “You’ll be pissing your pants in the field, Rhasa....” – he laughs and drains the cup.

“I’ll piss on their corpses” – he answers brutishly, a stern face contemplating the map. The lot seems used to situations like this, not unlike the companions themselves.

“Come, human, brother dwarf, lady… This is what we have” – he gestures towards the map. “Captain took his fifty to the tower, as I thought he would. That gives them advantage, three-to-one – or at least that’s the size of the sand cloud. We have twenty-five crossbowmen, some fifty riders, my half-dozen scouts and more than a hundred shields. Old ruins here, here and… here. Some formations to protect flanks all throughout here… Plane area for riders here… So, question is ‘Where’? – he points towards the map, asking the trio’s opinion.

TACTICAL MAP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U3L9WtRrSavIgTUKy2k7WhaFBIXC1XAbz3TZI0tM-z8/edit#gid=0

[You have 125 footmen, 25 crossbowmen and 50 riders. You can choose to position them in the map as you will. Remember that you have time to march through circa 16 squares depending on the direction before potential confrontation. Your choices will define the way the next scenes are built, who and what you’ll meet, how the battle will unfold and how the strategy rolls will be made. Choose wisely! :p]

MARAN’S MANIPULAR ARMY
Dwarven troops are known for their ability to build and dig fast without wasting stamina. It is not uncommon for them to build palisades and pits to protect a given area. All soldiers are used to carry a load of tools with them, and most of them know how to use them. Dwarven captains also have at least basic knowledge in engineering, a trait that adds strategic advantages to their field aptitudes and capabilities.

HAGADARK

At least he has enough time to think what he will do. Considering his wrist sheaths with acid flask and ghostretch his thinks what would be better against the caster. Damage is always good and giants are resilient bunch

“Very well…” – she moves around, an unusual gleam of intelligence sparkling in her eyes. “Come out, then. I can find uses for you. But let me see you first.” – her visage, as monstrous as it is, seems like a mix between an ogre and a giant, but as Hagadark watches her approach he is able to identify a strong resemblance to a hill giantess. True, she’s far too articulate for their breed, and he never heard of one capable of casting spells before. Hell, they’re barely able to make sense most of the time! As she drags her steps, though, Hagadark realizes she might have a weak spot in her clumsiness. She shambles every time she moves around.
“Let me see….” – she opens her book and begins flapping it’s pages. “I must have something here to ensure your loyalty….” – she keeps walking as she reads and looks to the front occasionally. Her boars ignore her, approaching the pit where their companions still moan. The noise is still loud, even though it has been considerably reduced.

MAP UPDATED
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nqispO67s2ZXLunqhdY4dnNwI/edit#gid=1405717895

[Some info about her added on account of successful knowledge test! Still, she looks quite... unique, not fitting the pure description of known species that live around. ;)]

@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @MetaVoid

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: just a comment: none of us is military strategije and would probably do worse job than the dwarves. But all in a job description for PCs. [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION], she's just smart because she stole the knowledge ;-) smite her! And if she's some competing spirit, you and your troop will ran out as they battle it out :p

[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION], the map doesn't allow access
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION], do we focus the soldiers on one area and risk being surrounded or try to create a funnel for the archers? In any case we will probably have to be mobile strike team to prevent snakes lieutenants from slaughtering the grunts.

My preference (I will confirm after I see the map) is archers in the middle for heavy casualties of the attackers at range. In two, no more than three groups. Each with its own defensive detail. The rest after we see the map.

Last edited:

HAGADARK

“Very well…” – she moves around, an unusual gleam of intelligence sparkling in her eyes. “Come out, then. I can find uses for you. But let me see you first.” – her visage, as monstrous as it is, seems like a mix between an ogre and a giant, but as Hagadark watches her approach he is able to identify a strong resemblance to a hill giantess. True, she’s far too articulate for their breed, and he never heard of one capable of casting spells before. Hell, they’re barely able to make sense most of the time! As she drags her steps, though, Hagadark realizes she might have a weak spot in her clumsiness. She shambles every time she moves around.
“Let me see….” – she opens her book and begins flapping it’s pages. “I must have something here to ensure your loyalty….” – she keeps walking as she reads and looks to the front occasionally. Her boars ignore her, approaching the pit where their companions still moan. The noise is still loud, even though it has been considerably reduced.

Hagadark moves slowly, still with his head down. As he comes behind the boulders where she would be able to see the sword he straightens up and looks at her directly his tone changing to fit her manner of speech
"I'm sorry, witch, but I see now you're not the mistress." as he hurls small flask at her. The flask explodes in shower of fire and her clothes and hair start to burn. Damp from the surroundings maybe, but they merely smolder.

With his enhanced reach, it would probably be stronger attack to cut into her, but he knows the casters and she will have trouble casting while on fire. And her book might catch fire too.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: E20-F21 (30')
Standard: Alchemist fire [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Frysis: shoots Bo1
Ragah: charges Bo1 with his lance (lances for chargers!! ) :)
Klutha: move: F19 charge the witch ending in G21
Ho-og: move: J18 charge the witch ending in I21 (may provoke if Bo1 wins initiative)

This assumes no surprise round, just normal round where we go first due to her being unaware.
If surprise round goes I need to add one more attack from Hagadark (throw would be surprise round), Ho-og would charge Bo1 (only one in reach) and Ragah would throw the javelin at Bo1
[/sblock]

"Frysis, Ragah! Get the boar closest to her! Ho-og, Klutha, charge!"

"Enough of this game, witch, your time here is done!"

[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION], I thought the boars in the pit are in another room through that narrow passage?

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“I ain’t nae soldier,” Morgrym said, looking at the maps. “I can provide some cover wi’ fog cloud an’ the like,” he offered. “Best if we might gae after some o’ those commander, maybe, if we cuild get t’ them.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
HAGADARK

To Hagadark’s left, his hunters attack the boar, silent as predators. Was it a front line, he’d hear the imprecations and curses of warriors. But a hunting party is always subtle and silent, to the point of suffering heavy critics from their violent counterparts. Nevertheless, they bleed the beast mercilessly, plunging lance and arrow into the creature’s back. As it bleeds and squeals, it leaps over Ragah furiously, trying to bleed him with its tusks, but the hunter dodge the attempt, jumping to the side and provoking it with the lance.

The shaman saw all this as he threw the flask against the distracted giantess. The vial explodes, fire eating the dark surrounding the creature. She moans and shrugs, but the fires lay at her feet, unable to climb her features! The others charge her, swinging weapons at the creature as she seems to dodge all attacks… How could she be so agile, how could she resist to his concoctions as if they were nothing? It’s almost as if she’s…

Of course! She’s not there! It’s an illusion!

Hagadark realizes, perhaps too late, the ruse… She sent forth the beasts, and along with them an illusion of herself! He regrets wasting a flask on her. Beneath the beasts’ yells and squeals, Hagadark hears the low, echoed huff of muffled, heavy steps around. Still, he can’t find her or see her!

[:) NOW we go for initiative! Roll once for you and once for the gang, ok? I’ll roll for her. You can’t clearly discern where she is, but you can try to find her with a perception test, if you so choose. If you succeed, I’ll locate her in the map before we begin the next turn, and you’ll be able to rely on the info for your actions.]

Map updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nqispO67s2ZXLunqhdY4dnNwI/edit#gid=1405717895

MORGRYM/MARIUS

After listening to the companions’ suggestions, Rhasa gives word to his second. Soon enough, the troops are on the move, taking the hill and barricading it with sand bags. With astounding speed and vigor, they finish the job, and soon enough the crossbowmen are positioned under several banners. Small fire pits have been dug, if not to help see in the dark, at least to call forth the saurian troops, allowing the cavalry to stay in the dark.

Rhasa joins the riders, leaving the companions to decide where will they be and how will they help. Tension covers the lines. Infantry stands in line, unmoving; Crossbowmen listen to wind and fire, waiting for signs of the attackers, their eyes clinging to the horizon. Soon enough, all is quiet, not a whisper can be heard. Only the desert whistles around, toying with the thin, white dust that covers it. The cold air of the night cuts through flesh and bone. A shame the two-legged saurians surpassed their ancestors in their need for heat. Were they sluggish, this battle would never happen at such dark hours.
Time moves on. From the east, a faint light defeats the darkness. It starts as a shy flickering, but gains strength as the minutes go by. It is followed by a second one, quite like the first. The captain… He claimed the towers and shut the path to the city. With luck, the saurian captain will split his troops, confused by the signs he sends. But if the serpents are in command, this is unlikely.

It’s the dead of night as the signs reach the horizon. A cloud of dust lifts. Suddenly, the army knows: the serpents are near. Soon enough, some of the men yell, even though they’re not yet within reach. Bolts are fired against the nocturnal sky, and the sound of axes hacking and metal feet stumping is heard. The companions watch the sands and skies as, here and there, snakes climb out of their holes, scouting the area. Up above, a handful of dragonettes fly around, scattered, their small eyes shining as small, swirling stars. Mages! And they’re studying their enemies before the impending attack!

The men manage to destroy most of the spies. In the distance, the march begins. Dust rises as, in agitation, the troops move with astounding speed! The floor shakes and trembles under heavy, numerous steps. The first lines appear, breaking the veil of shadows… Several lines of saurian riders, mounting raptor-lizards, race towards the infantry, hissing and yelling. The lines are mostly made of lizardmen, but kobolds and true saurians can be seen brandishing decorated weapons here and there. The numerous riders break their lines in two. One moves towards the infantry, as the other rides southwest! Do they know of the dwarven riders? Did the scouts find them?

They’re followed by a line of archers. They lose terrain as they run behind the cavalry, bows in hand, readying themselves for the battle!

As the troops approach, the companions see a trio of massive riders emerging from among the others. Three saurians, true saurians, crowned in horns, mount slower, heavier beasts, odd mixtures of lizards and dragons. Each saurian must amount to at least six feet in height, and each beast bears the impressive height of a camel, maybe taller. They’re armed and painted for war, and as the trio emerges from their ranks, they take point and lead the charge! Drums resound loudly into the desert void as the troops clash, riders against a shield wall, pushing and forcing, bolts plunging into scales!

[The map portrays the final configuration of the battlefield after the arrangements made and the attack initiated. You have three ‘champions’ – if you will – leading the charge into crossbowmen reach. Archers will arrive late and won’t be able to target the crossbowmen, only the infantry. Their center probably holds mages and the serpent captains. Sneaking is an easy task now. Small groups can move around the battlefield unnoticed. Your turn!]

Map updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U3L9WtRrSavIgTUKy2k7WhaFBIXC1XAbz3TZI0tM-z8/edit#gid=0

[Also, since this is a LOT of info to process, please correct me if I got anything wrong! I re-read everything on both ends several times, but it might be that some details still eluded me. I'll edit if such is the case. Oh, as for the battle, it will unfold as planned after you guys make your moves. I decided to break it into several parts so individual actions can be played and adapted to the situation at hand! You may see as well that the saurians made a few mistakes already... I hope it reflects the rolls in an interesting way!]
@Neurotic [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] @MetaVoid

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I suggested we (the PCs) move out and provoke charge / following too early so they get strung out. And maybe we get a chance to kill one of the saurians (sneak attack + pistol shot) or one of their mounts. But we can deal with this :) Note that first part (trap) assumes we see them some distance off. Simply say his trap didn't work (not enough time, strength or wrong timing on pulling the rope taut.

Crossbowdwarves, shoot the big ones. Fire on the leftmost and rightmost, each unit one.. Infantry, hold for the charge! Mourgrym, would you come with me to harry archers, casters and commanders or you take command of the archers? I think your skills fit naturally here, but I would appreciate all the help. I'll be down there."

"Arvana, I could use your expertise setting a little surprise for the big ones. I'll be behind the lines, harrying archers, casters or commanders. Commander, if you can spare volunteers for dangerous mission, silent as possible, maybe scouts who don't fit into infantry lines? I could cause some damage to the archers."
Marius vaults the stones protecting the archers, talks shortly with infantry commander, takes a rope and waits for Arvana to come.

He explains he means to set simple trip rope, but he alone will not have strength to hold it against the weight. Thus, he has one side fixed with pitons. And the other, he needs Arvana to set up pulleys or some other mechanism that will allow him to raise the rope and hold it against the cavalry. It is enough that he drops first row, others will trip over them.
If she agrees, two of them disappear into the field. He spends some time looking for a place he can hide in along with whatever mechanism Arvana comes up with. He needs a boulder or several smaller stones that would be avoided by cavalry charge.

Marius waits for the charge and triggers his trap with strong dragons roar (kiai), scaring the closest mounts who jump to the side a bit disrupting the smooth charge. He waits for merest of moments to gauge the effect and see first volley of the archers. He thinks he could be of better use disrupting or slowing whatever remained until cavalry and infantry can deal with this. But if big beasts remain, common infantry may have trouble with the big ones.

OOC: [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION], don't feel obligated to follow me into action if you have something to do, I think big battle may be confusing enough that we could get separated even if we're together initially. I gave Archon an opportunity to give me some backup if you don't come with me.

To Hagadark’s left, his hunters attack the boar, silent as predators. Was it a front line, he’d hear the imprecations and curses of warriors. But a hunting party is always subtle and silent, to the point of suffering heavy critics from their violent counterparts. Nevertheless, they bleed the beast mercilessly, plunging lance and arrow into the creature’s back. As it bleeds and squeals, it leaps over Ragah furiously, trying to bleed him with its tusks, but the hunter dodge the attempt, jumping to the side and provoking it with the lance.

The shaman saw all this as he threw the flask against the distracted giantess. The vial explodes, fire eating the dark surrounding the creature. She moans and shrugs, but the fires lay at her feet, unable to climb her features! The others charge her, swinging weapons at the creature as she seems to dodge all attacks… How could she be so agile, how could she resist to his concoctions as if they were nothing? It’s almost as if she’s…

Of course! She’s not there! It’s an illusion!

Hagadark realizes, perhaps too late, the ruse… She sent forth the beasts, and along with them an illusion of herself! He regrets wasting a flask on her. Beneath the beasts’ yells and squeals, Hagadark hears the low, echoed huff of muffled, heavy steps around. Still, he can’t find her or see her!

[:) NOW we go for initiative! Roll once for you and once for the gang, ok? I’ll roll for her. You can’t clearly discern where she is, but you can try to find her with a perception test, if you so choose. If you succeed, I’ll locate her in the map before we begin the next turn, and you’ll be able to rely on the info for your actions.]

OOC: Sneaky! But I have a surprise ready - I'll remind you of Heightened Awareness elixir I drank before entering the caves. :D I get bonus to perception and initiative roll gets a bonus, but ends the spell
Initiative; 1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21;
Perception: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23

Hagadark berates himself for not going deeper into the cave. But luckily, he's prepared for combat. His heightened awareness locates the witch and his enhanced reflexes lead him straight to her.
"She's invisible! Overthere!" he runs toward perceived threat and, using his enhanced strength and reach he simply walks through her general area with arms outstretched (leaving his sword 2 paces behind). As soon as he feels the contact, his arms snap together hoping to capture the caster. Even if she's stronger than his current form, she shouldn't be able to cast as long as she's trying to free herself. And his position will give away her position. At least, that's the theory.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: adjacent to invisible caster
Standard: Grapple: 1D20+9 = [14]+9 = 23

Grapple (goes to check the rules and calculate his mutagen+enlarged CMB - STR 22 (+6) +1 (size) +2 (BAB)) - she gets OA (vs AC 16) if she has anything to attack with, but loses invisibility if she attacks.
Creatures who become invisible gain +2 to CMD to avoid being grappled, but receive no other benefit. <- no miss chance :), but if she makes an attack she loses this. Anyhow, I think 23 is good enough?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads