D&D 5E If WotC Did A New Setting Search

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not that it matters too much, but I personally can't recall either of these two times and I do as many of their surveys as I can.
Unfortunately the surveys disappear when they close so I can’t find the specific ones and screenshot them, so it is what it is.

Religion/politics
Save your words. You are not being a gentleman. People with good sense doesn't trust or belive who is too rude and agresive (and never they give data to prove their arguments).
You can tell your own vision about the past, and I don't mind if it is happens in your game, but a company publishes something something what promotes negative tropes about the past of my people, then it is different, because then it is my business.

I don't want to cause troubles, but I can warn your prejudices against my people aren't wellcome. Self-criticism and humildity are necessary to not repeat the same mistakes of the past, but you have forgotten a very important lesson in the fight against the fanaticism and the hate-speech: the respect for human dignity. Without this you are like the characters from "Games of Thrones" causing damage against innocent lifes. Without the respect for the human dignity all the efforst to be inclusive and politically correct are useless and worthless. Self-criticism and humildity doesn't mean allowing to be emotionally manipulated appealing the shame and guilty feel.

I am not impressed at all. Other have said the same speech before than you. If I could I would explain the reasons because the accusations are false, exaggerated or omit certain circumstances mitigating guilt. And accusations lose credibility when the actions of others who are much worse are blatantly omitted. I dislke that annoying double standards, I can trust nobody who uses two different yardsticks to measure

You should take care when you talk about the past, because you may be very ridiculous when the other knows it better than you. I am not so proud, but I am sick with the Hispanophobia, I see we weren't so bad, even we were a shinnier star, and the black legend is using the same mechanism than the psychological abuse. I don't want to feel guilty and ashamed any more only because others want to destroy my honor and the prestige of my ancestors. I don't need more advices from people who don't respect and don't deserve my trust. Said again with other words. I think there are too many similarities between Hispanophobia and psychological abuse by school bullys.

Maybe a players feels inspired in the martyr saint Pelagious of Cordoba, killed around the year 926 AD (only 14 years old) to create a spirit patron for her paladin PC, or a DM could use the story of the martyr saint Eulogius of Cordoba (killed in 859) to create a relic very useful agaisnt undead and infernal enemies but other players may feel unconfortable. We should show enough empathy to understand the feeling by the others. Even if your conscience is clear and you can safe you have done nothing wrong, you have to face the consequences of your actions.

Some tropes can be showed if there is no an abuse. And also we should add "positive tokens". Some players wanted a group of heroes style Captain Thunder (a Spanish strip comic, style Prince Valiant. It was very popular in the middle of XX century), and others would rather a group of survivor characters style Makinavaja (a satiric comic whose main characters are criminal slums, style Snake Jailbird from the Simpsons). Or you can add a group of nPC halflings with that very funny Andalusian accent. This can be wellcome even by Andalusian players, but if you abuse too much then it stops to be funny, it would be like when a running gag is used too many times.

And when I say "positive tokens" I mean we have to add characters from the same origin but showing positive traits. Let's use this example. In the 1998 French animated serie "Bob Morane" the main antagonist is mister Ming, with clear Asian origins. This villains has got a daughter who disapproved of her father's metods and she is in the side of the good guys, helping the main characters against the big bad guy. This daughter is an example of positive token.

In the first years of the sci-fi comic Buck Rogers the antagonists were the mongols. If today a RPG of Buck Rogers was published again then we have to add a group of Mongol rebels who help the heroes against the tiranny. Have I explained it rightly?

Or let's try with other example. You can create an adventure where the antagonists are morrion-wearer vampires but then you should add "positive tokens" and these would be morrion-wearer vampire-hunters. (Morrion is that helm used by Spanish conquerors).

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Save your words. You are not being a gentleman. People with good sense doesn't trust or belive who is too rude and agresive (and never they give data to prove their arguments).
You can tell your own vision about the past, and I don't mind if it is happens in your game, but a company publishes something something what promotes negative tropes about the past of my people, then it is different, because then it is my business.

I don't want to cause troubles, but I can warn your prejudices against my people aren't wellcome. Self-criticism and humildity are necessary to not repeat the same mistakes of the past, but you have forgotten a very important lesson in the fight against the fanaticism and the hate-speech: the respect for human dignity. Without this you are like the characters from "Games of Thrones" causing damage against innocent lifes. Without the respect for the human dignity all the efforst to be inclusive and politically correct are useless and worthless. Self-criticism and humildity doesn't mean allowing to be emotionally manipulated appealing the shame and guilty feel.

I am not impressed at all. Other have said the same speech before than you. If I could I would explain the reasons because The accusations are false, exaggerated or omit certain circumstances mitigating guilt. And accusations lose credibility when the actions of others who are much worse are blatantly omitted. I dislke that annoying double standards, I can trust nobody who uses two different yardsticks to measure

You should take care when you talk about the past, because you may be very ridiculous when the other knows it better than you. I am not so proud, but I am sick with the Hispanophobia, I see we weren't so bad, even we were a shinnier star, and the black legend is using the same mechanism than the psychological abuse. I don't want to feel guilty and ashamed any more only because others want to destroy my honor and prestige. I don't need more advices from people who don't respect and don't deserve my trust.

Maybe a players feels inspired in the martyr saint Pelagious of Cordoba, killed around the year 926 AD (only 14 years old) to create a spirit patron for her paladin PC, or a DM could use the story of the martyr saint Eulogius of Cordoba (killed in 859) to create a relic very useful agaisnt undead and infernal enemies but other players may feel unconfortable. We should show enough empathy to understand the feeling by the others. Even if your conscience is clear, you safe you have done nothing wrong, you have to face the consequences of your actions.

Some tropes can be showed if there is no an abuse. And also we should add "positive tokens". Some players wanted a group of heroes style Captain Thunder (a Spanish strip comic, style Prince Valiant. It was very popular in the middle of XX century), and others would rather a group of survivor characters style Makinavaja (a satiric comic whose main characters are criminal slums). Or you can add a group of nPC halflings with that very funny Andalusian accent. This can be wellcome even by Andalusian players, but if you abuse too muchthen it stops to be funny.

And when I say "positive tokens" I mean we have to add characters from the same origin but showing positive traits. Let's use this example. In the 1998 animated serie "Bob Morane" the main antagonist is mister Ming, with clear Asian origins. This villains has got a daughter who doesn't approve her father's actions and she is in the side of the good guys, helping the main characters against the big bad guy. This daughter is an example of positive token.

In the first years of the sci-fi comic Buck Rogers the antagonists were the mongols. If today a RPG of Buck Rogers was published again then we have to add a group of Mongol rebels who help the heroes against the tiranny. Have I explained it rightly?

Or let's try with other example. You can create an adventure where the antagonists are morrion-wearer vampires but then you should add "positive tokens" and these would be morrion-wearer vampire-hunters.
what? I do not even think about the history of pain, when I say I can't fathom loving a nation I mean any of them the idea is simply something beyond my mind like having a favourite colour.
it is simply incomprehensible to me in a very literal sense most forms of love genuinely are rather alien to my deeply messed up mind.
I am sorry if I have angered you but when I say I do not get something it most often is more like asking for an explanation or elaboration.
do you want me to make it up to you some how?

doctorbadwolf

Most of us have ancestry with black marks on their history. Spain may be special for many things, but having to navigate a dark past while moving toward a better future and finding the bright moments of the past for inspiration...that's the entire Western World, my friend.

I am not impressed at all. Other have said the same speech before than you. If I could I would explain the reasons because the accusations are false, exaggerated or omit certain circumstances mitigating guilt. And accusations lose credibility when the actions of others who are much worse are blatantly omitted. I dislke that annoying double standards, I can trust nobody who uses two different yardsticks to measure
What different yardsticks? Who on these forums is giving other colonial powers a pass?
You should take care when you talk about the past, because you may be very ridiculous when the other knows it better than you. I am not so proud, but I am sick with the Hispanophobia, I see we weren't so bad, even we were a shinnier star, and the black legend is using the same mechanism than the psychological abuse. I don't want to feel guilty and ashamed any more only because others want to destroy my honor and the prestige of my ancestors. I don't need more advices from people who don't respect and don't deserve my trust. Said again with other words. I think there are too many similarities between Hispanophobia and psychological abuse by school bullys.
I'd need to see some serious scholarship to take that link seriously. The "Black Legend" is just the bare facts of history. I actually live in part of the world where conquistadors came and burned down and murdered what they couldn't enslave and...pillage. Let's say pillage. The fact that the British did the same things doesn't change anything. We aren't talking about Britain's history, we aren't talking about British inspired gaming. Vanishingly few people today would be comfortable with a game set in early colonial New England where the guys murdering natives are treated like heroes rather than as bloodthirsty religious fantatic monsters.
Maybe a players feels inspired in the martyr saint Pelagious of Cordoba, killed around the year 926 AD (only 14 years old) to create a spirit patron for her paladin PC, or a DM could use the story of the martyr saint Eulogius of Cordoba (killed in 859) to create a relic very useful agaisnt undead and infernal enemies but other players may feel unconfortable. We should show enough empathy to understand the feeling by the others. Even if your conscience is clear and you can safe you have done nothing wrong, you have to face the consequences of your actions.
Okay? Like I said, best to draw inspiration while creating a new setting, not try to directly translate a particular state and culture into a dnd setting. I'd love to make an Iberian alchemist and astronomer based on figures like Isaac Albalia and Maimonides, both Andalusian Jews active during the Jewish Golden Age In Spain, under Caliphate rule. I see no reason a single party couldn't have both.
Some tropes can be showed if there is no an abuse. And also we should add "positive tokens". Some players wanted a group of heroes style Captain Thunder (a Spanish strip comic, style Prince Valiant. It was very popular in the middle of XX century), and others would rather a group of survivor characters style Makinavaja (a satiric comic whose main characters are criminal slums, style Snake Jailbird from the Simpsons). Or you can add a group of nPC halflings with that very funny Andalusian accent. This can be wellcome even by Andalusian players, but if you abuse too much then it stops to be funny, it would be like when a running gag is used too many times.
I use groups with the more difficult to understand or otherwise outlandish accents of North America all the time in my games. I've played Cajuns and Ozark mountain folk and generic Southern drawl types, and I've used a ton more as a DM. I wouldn't do it if I were live streaming a game though, without some serious practice getting the desired accent right.
And when I say "positive tokens" I mean we have to add characters from the same origin but showing positive traits. Let's use this example. In the 1998 French animated serie "Bob Morane" the main antagonist is mister Ming, with clear Asian origins. This villains has got a daughter who disapproved of her father's metods and she is in the side of the good guys, helping the main characters against the big bad guy. This daughter is an example of positive token.
So you'd agree with me, then, that a setting that draws upon Iberia and her surroundings should have altruistic and corrupt/bloodthirsty Muslim stand-ins? That Cordoba should be presented with the nuance that is merits, not as some great terrible evil that some Europeans like to pretend that it was? That there were good guys and bad in every part of the peninsula during the 700 years of Reconquista?
Okay. I mean, you actually just have to show mongols who aren't bloodthirsty, and give some nuance to the villainous ones, but sure.
Or let's try with other example. You can create an adventure where the antagonists are morrion-wearer vampires but then you should add "positive tokens" and these would be morrion-wearer vampire-hunters. (Morrion is that helm used by Spanish conquerors).
No, you shouldn't. Spanish inspired vampire hunters, sure, but they shouldn't wear the battle gear of genocidal conquerers. We can leave that for the vampires who are bloodthirsty conquerors.

In Spain we use the phrase "usar dos varas de medir" (whose close translation would be "using two yardsticks to measure") about the double standars, the incoherence by somebody who is very hard with one but too soft with other. You can't trust anybody like this.

The black-legend is supremacist hate-speech. We weren't genocide, but comparing with the rest we were almost saints. There were some black-sheeps and rotten apples, sad but innevitable, but we don't deserve that bad reputation when the others were worses, and do thank me not starting to give examples. I don't want to feel ashamed and guilty only because an unknown person is telling the same said by the main media.

OK, I hope I can say this. Today in the internet age there are more people from Spain and Hispanoamerica who not only want to recover the "old glory days" but also started to doubt about the version of the History told by the supreme powers in the last centuries. This could be important for the entertaiment industry soon because the fiction set in a nation from the Hispanosphere... may face with people with a different point of view. It is something like the old Far-West movies where the Nothamerican natives, the "redskins" where the savage antagonist, the "scalphunters" but after "Dancing with Wolves" there is a different version about "who started the fight". Soon people will start to realise the Spaniards aren't so evil as the enemy propaganda by rival powers told, and we aren't the first who should apologize. History is written by the winners, but after it is rewritten by the supreme powers as a propagandistic weapon, because if you allow previous rival to recover the lost prestige, then these could earn allies against you.

Read the story of Almanzor, the Muslim warlord, and how his sons were implied in the "fitna of Al-Andalus" (civil war what caused the end of the Omeya caliphate and division into taifas, smaller Muslims realms). It can be a great source of inspiration. The "Legends" by the writter Gustavo Adolfo Bequer also can be source of inspiration for Ravenloft, but the story "the Rose of the Passion" could be antisemitic throught the eyes of the current generations. The story of the fight for the throne of Isabel de Castilla (before her marriage with Fernando de Aragon) is also interesting. And the XIX in Spain it was a century with lots of troubles and conflicts. The wife-selling in England also can be a source of inspiration for the creation dramatic new stories.

Please, repeating the same speech is not the right way to win a debate, but that is "gaslight". You mark other with tags, and you hope this is enough to win, but I don't allow that dirty trick. You have to prove to be true, I haven't to prove to be innocent. Who should enjoy the benefit of doubt? If I am rejecting your tags, I am not being an irrational zealot, but I am trying to use the good sense to be not tricked and manipulated. If I lose the time trying to refute the continue accusations, then we don't stop, because there are new accusations and even the refuted previously are repeated again. It is like the mythological punishment against Sisifus, starting again and again.

If Russian and Chinese speculative fiction told horrible things about the British empire and USA goverment, would you believe everything, or would you suspect it would be enemy propaganda? Can't we ask a piece of healthy skepticism in the name of the good sense when anybody tries to destroy the honor of your ancestors? Let's recover the sanity against the desinformation! Trust nobody who tries forcing you to agree him but he does not take the trouble to develop his arguments to explain the reasons of his point of view. And believe no word said by any body who tries to destroy your self-esteem. Don't allow others to use the shame and guilty feeling to manipulate you emotionally.

doctorbadwolf

In Spain we use the phrase "usar dos varas de medir" (whose close translation would be "using two yardsticks to measure") about the double standars, the incoherence by somebody who is very hard with one but too soft with other. You can't trust anybody like this.
Cool show where someone is doing that in this thread.
The black-legend is supremacist hate-speech. We weren't genocide, but comparing with the rest we were almost saints. There were some black-sheeps and rotten apples, sad but innevitable, but we don't deserve that bad reputation when the others were worses, and do thank me not starting to give examples. I don't want to feel ashamed and guilty only because an unknown person is telling the same said by the main media.
False. This is a whitewashing of history to make one of the worst colonizing forces in history into the good guys just so their modern descendants don’t have to admit their ancestors did wrong.
OK, I hope I can say this. Today in the internet age there are more people from Spain and Hispanoamerica who not only want to recover the "old glory days" but also started to doubt about the version of the History told by the supreme powers in the last centuries.
You mean the history told by the contemporaries in Latin America (stop with the Hispanoamerica stuff, no one who lives here says that) and their descendants? Because that’s where this history comes from, not from Britain or France.
This could be important for the entertaiment industry soon because the fiction set in a nation from the Hispanosphere... may face with people with a different point of view. It is something like the old Far-West movies where the Nothamerican natives, the "redskins" where the savage antagonist, the "scalphunters" but after "Dancing with Wolves" there is a different version about "who started the fight". Soon people will start to realise the Spaniards aren't so evil as the enemy propaganda by rival powers told, and we aren't the first who should apologize. History is written by the winners, but after it is rewritten by the supreme powers as a propagandistic weapon, because if you allow previous rival to recover the lost prestige, then these could earn allies against you.

Read the story of Almanzor, the Muslim warlord, and how his sons were implied in the "fitna of Al-Andalus" (civil war what caused the end of the Omeya caliphate and division into taifas, smaller Muslims realms). It can be a great source of inspiration. The "Legends" by the writter Gustavo Adolfo Bequer also can be source of inspiration for Ravenloft, but the story "the Rose of the Passion" could be antisemitic throught the eyes of the current generations. The story of the fight for the throne of Isabel de Castilla (before her marriage with Fernando de Aragon) is also interesting. And the XIX in Spain it was a century with lots of troubles and conflicts. The wife-selling in England also can be a source of inspiration for the creation dramatic new stories.

Please, repeating the same speech is not the right way to win a debate, but that is "gaslight". You mark other with tags, and you hope this is enough to win, but I don't allow that dirty trick. You have to prove to be true, I haven't to prove to be innocent. Who should enjoy the benefit of doubt? If I am rejecting your tags, I am not being an irrational zealot, but I am trying to use the good sense to be not tricked and manipulated. If I lose the time trying to refute the continue accusations, then we don't stop, because there are new accusations and even the refuted previously are repeated again. It is like the mythological punishment against Sisifus, starting again and again.
Who am I marking with tags? Cortez?

Okay, sure. He was a murderous genocidal monster. 🤷‍♂️

And don’t give me any “bad apple” nonsense. No one in power tried to stop him. No one in power tried to stop the church from converting the natives at the end of a sword (or as often, by threat of starvation and the kidnapping of children and forcing them into reeducation schools).

Saints. You don’t have to live in the part of the world that still bears the scars from your “saints”. Burn your saints.
If Russian and Chinese speculative fiction told horrible things about the British empire and USA goverment, would you believe everything, or would you suspect it would be enemy propaganda? Can't we ask a piece of healthy skepticism in the name of the good sense when anybody tries to destroy the honor of your ancestors? Let's recover the sanity against the desinformation! Trust nobody who tries forcing you to agree him but he does not take the trouble to develop his arguments to explain the reasons of his point of view. And believe no word said by any body who tries to destroy your self-esteem. Don't allow others to use the shame and guilty feeling to manipulate you emotionally.
If you dismiss all of history that doesn’t appeal to you as enemy propaganda, you won’t know down from up.

Remove ads