D&D 5E If WotC Did A New Setting Search

Aldarc

Legend
IMO a setting with somewhat broader themes than that would be better.

I’d be all for a new setting that uses ideas from there and from Nentir Vale lore in general, but I just don’t really see the appeal of the world rules by dragons thing.
Those broader themes are part of the World Axis mythos, which forms the backdrop of Iomandra. ;)

If you can tell me why I should see any appeal in your dragon temple setting, I will tell you why I see the appeal of Iomandra.

Sorry, sometimes I could seem almost rude, but I am not really a troublemaker.

I support the idea of a setting inspired in Spanish culture and folkore, but I feel a great fear about my favorite hobby to be tainted by the cultural war, my hobby was used to show the prejudice by the authors. And you can't imagine the level of concept against the past of my people. I see a great similarity between the black legend against the History of my land, and the school bulling and psychological abuser, patterns of behavior that are too similar, the goal of the destruction of a rival, a shinnier star, to hide the own misery. I hate the toxic people who try to destroy all your self-esteem in the name of humildity and self-criticism but really their goal is your to lose the faith in yourself.

I don't mind certain stereotypes but some pejorative tropes are really unconfortable. Vega, the Spanish character from Street Fighters is based in stereotypes, but there is no offensive intention. Blasphemous is a videogame with a wicked art inspired in the Spanish religious baroque art but it is not beyond the lines. They don't show intentions to offend. The comingsoon Disney movie "Wish" is inspired freely in Spain.

There is a Spanish TTRPG, Aquelarre, based in Spanish mythology, by Spaniards and for Spaniards. It is still being published after several editions, bu it is not "my cup of tea", or like we say here "it is not saint of my devotion". It is more focused into survival and picaresque what searching the sense of wonder. I don't like that point of view where people are, or scoundrels, or losers about to be scammed, a society where the virtue and honor is only an illusion.

If WotC wanted they would publish a reedition of al-Qadim and Kara-Tur, but they haven't showed any intention. I guess they would rather to start from zero with a new setting style Kaladesh or Kamigawa.

There are other risks besides possible accusations of cultural appropiation. Let's imagine a setting inspired in Turkey, for example, but in the next year Turkish goverment did a horrible thing and this causes a boycott against fiction from Turkey. It would be like a cartoon studio releasing a movie of Sinbad the sailor two months before Sadam Husseim invaded Kuwait.
I suspect if WotC wants to publish a new setting, this is with the intention that to become a multimedia franchise, but then the strategy would be first being sold as other type of product, and after to be adapted to D&D, like Theros, Stryxhaven and Ravnica.

* Other option could be a setting ruled by the monsters: giants, dragons, lord feys...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I support the idea of a setting inspired in Spanish culture and folkore, but I feel a great fear about my favorite hobby to be tainted by the cultural war, my hobby was used to show the prejudice by the authors. And you can't imagine the level of concept against the past of my people. I see a great similarity between the black legend against the History of my land, and the school bulling and psychological abuser, patterns of behavior that are too similar, the goal of the destruction of a rival, a shinnier star, to hide the own misery. I hate the toxic people who try to destroy all your self-esteem in the name of humildity and self-criticism but really their goal is your to lose the faith in yourself.

I don't mind certain stereotypes but some pejorative tropes are really unconfortable. Vega, the Spanish character from Street Fighters is based in stereotypes, but there is no offensive intention. Blasphemous is a videogame with a wicked art inspired in the Spanish religious baroque art but it is not beyond the lines. They don't show intentions to offend. The comingsoon Disney movie "Wish" is inspired freely in Spain.

There is a Spanish TTRPG, Aquelarre, based in Spanish mythology, by Spaniards and for Spaniards. It is still being published after several editions, bu it is not "my cup of tea", or like we say here "it is not saint of my devotion". It is more focused into survival and picaresque what searching the sense of wonder. I don't like that point of view where people are, or scoundrels, or losers about to be scammed, a society where the virtue and honor is only an illusion.

If WotC wanted they would publish a reedition of al-Qadim and Kara-Tur, but they haven't showed any intention. I guess they would rather to start from zero with a new setting style Kaladesh or Kamigawa.

There are other risks besides possible accusations of cultural appropiation. Let's imagine a setting inspired in Turkey, for example, but in the next year Turkish goverment did a horrible thing and this causes a boycott against fiction from Turkey. It would be like a cartoon studio releasing a movie of Sinbad the sailor two months before Sadam Husseim invaded Kuwait.
I suspect if WotC wants to publish a new setting, this is with the intention that to become a multimedia franchise, but then the strategy would be first being sold as other type of product, and after to be adapted to D&D, like Theros, Stryxhaven and Ravnica.

* Other option could be a setting ruled by the monsters: giants, dragons, lord feys...
Dude Spain is awesome.

For me, especially with the extremely genocidal history of my Spanish and English heritage, and of United States history, it’s important to just let it be both. My wife’s heritage is mostly German, and her dad grew up in farmland where everyone around them were also German immigrants. So she has to thread the same needle.

The lore and history of Iberia has been interesting and deep and just cool as hell since before Rome. The darkest moments in Spanish history don’t erase that, they just also exist right alongside it.

All that to say, I want an Iberian D&D setting. I want falcata wielding pagans and urbanite diestros with their long rapiers and romantic ideals learning from hermetic esoteric swordmasters, and galant cavalier knights, and their rivals and enemies in Al Andalus, and here the trouble starts, because in spite of the lore many Europeans are taught, Cordoba was not a place of persecution, it was a place where Muslims and Jews and Christians lived in conflict and tension but also in joint scholarship and everyday life. Certainly Jewish people had better lives under Islamic rules than they did after the Muslims were driven out.

IMO, it would be very very unethical to represent the Iberian Penninsula in the Middle Ages and not represent that accurately.

Stuff like this is why IMO you can do southern Europe, The Mediterranean, North Africa, and Southwest Asia, as a whole, but trying to just do Spain or France or Italia, just doesn’t work. We have enough bunk medievalism in Anglo-Celtic Western European fantasy.

So to me, you’d want a diverse team, writing a setting inspired by those states, historically and mythologically, with some sprinkling out outside influences to make it clear that we aren’t in Aragon or Navarre or Castile, we are in the 13 Kingdoms of the great island of Albaron, on the North Sarantorean Sea, and her northern neighbors in Capet, and the provinces of Senziana to the east, and their common enemy the Caliphate of Khalidor with its centuries old footholds in the region and its distant capital of Bhagran in the Creacent Penninsula of the southern continent of Arador.

With representation for the Basque people, and of different times in the histories of those places, all filtered through the modern ethics of dnd. Knightly orders have male and female members, there are queens and kings on thrones across the known lands, there are Khalidoran merchants whose loyalty is to their home rather than the home of their faith, and there is no “these guys are all bad” group, and most nations have crimes in their past that they’d like to forget. There are romantic ideals on both sides of the big political conflict, and alchemists who just want to advance their knowledge, and politicians who crave war, and all of it.

Otherwise what’s the point?

doctorbadwolf

Those broader themes are part of the World Axis mythos, which forms the backdrop of Iomandra. ;)

If you can tell me why I should see any appeal in your dragon temple setting, I will tell you why I see the appeal of Iomandra.

Okay. I don’t especially care, I replied because you replied to me with basically “nah this would be better”, and I strongly disagree. The interaction can happily end there. 🤷‍♂️

Aldarc

Legend
Okay. I don’t especially care, I replied because you replied to me with basically “nah this would be better”, and I strongly disagree. The interaction can happily end there. 🤷‍♂️
Iomandra certainly reflects my own preference. It's a setting with lots of dragons, high seas adventure, island-hopping, and rooted deeply in 4e's implied setting and its rich themes. There's not really anything in D&D that wouldn't have a place in Iomandra. Moreover, we never got the Nentir Vale that was in the works for 4e. WotC has never acknowledged the Nentir Vale as a setting in any of its polls or questionnaires.

doctorbadwolf

Iomandra certainly reflects my own preference. It's a setting with lots of dragons, high seas adventure, island-hopping, and rooted deeply in 4e's implied setting and its rich themes. There's not really anything in D&D that wouldn't have a place in Iomandra. Moreover, we never got the Nentir Vale that was in the works for 4e. WotC has never acknowledged the Nentir Vale as a setting in any of its polls or questionnaires.
Nentir vale has been listed in multiple setting surveys.

Beyond that, I felt like “the interaction can happily end there” was pretty clear.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics

seriously why Spanish what is so great about it to you I just got to know why?

Remove ads