• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
In the tight areas on the map, the ceiling is 80 feet high. In the wider areas it is 150 feet high. The elevated area is 40 feet off the floor of the cave. The depressions drop 100 feet or more! The black smudges are stalagmites with corresponding stalactites above them. The ceiling is covered in stalactites! In the day, there are bats resting on the ceilings and walls of this cave. It is now night, so the bats are awake. Most of them have left the cave to find food, but there are still some flying around.

Number of bats flitting around the entrance to the cave: 2D100 = [12, 13] = 25

The floor of the cave is rough stone and angles downward into the cave beyond the first 20 to 30 feet. The movement cost is x2 as per Table 9-4: Hampered Movement on p. 163 of the PHB. The elevated area is more flat with only a slight incline towards the mouth of the cave.

The mossy green areas are in slight depressions in the floor. This is 5 feet down at the edge and 10 feet down near the center of each mossy area. It costs one additional squares of movement to go through and two squares for the tiles with the mushrooms. There is 1-ft. deep stagnant water in the areas with mushrooms.

The mushrooms refer to fugal forest, but consider them to be no higher than up to the knees on a medium-sized character. The mushrooms are pungent and any character walking through them must make a Fortitude save (DC 10) or become nauseated. It cost two additional squares to move through them.

The underdark broken lands areas are considered to be dense rubble.

The cave is alive with with bugs and other small critters, so watch your step. And, don't fall into the depression areas. :devilish:

Scotley

Hero
As to Buff spells: Haste, Fly, Protection from Evil and Cat's Grace are all available. Was planning to use Barkskin from the grove and Cat's Grace on Phar, but if someone has an argument that they'd benefit more I'm open to it.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
We have
  • unknown number of rooks who escaped.
  • 1 anathema eagle with rider who shoots lightning
  • 1 ubertroll
  • 1 uberghoul with intelligent weapon who is also high level caster
  • unknown number of lower level casters who can heal
  • unknown number of ghouls and ghasts
And an unknown number of zombies. Don't forget the zombies. :D

And remember that Tarrak has senior acolytes with him not regular acolytes!

Neurotic said:
(on the last two points - did we manage to count them in our brief encounter? Or Xander or other cultists could give an estimate?)

I'm taking the troll - I can tank and have a good bonus against it (unless its type changed to non-giant) - and I want to prevent breaking of the barricade.
I would say no. That would have taken a lot more time and there would have been a risk of getting caught.

Plus, after reaching Carnell, Xander wasn't too helpful after being locked up like the other two cultists (after being stripped of everything but his breeches and shirt) Yes, he's being treated a bit better but he has been tied up, blindfolded, and gagged. :p

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Question for the party casters: What buffs are we getting in the pre-battle prep time?
Pre-battle only Consecrate from me.
Recitation at some point. Bless if I have time, but there are other casters for that, its effects don't really depend on the level.

@Knightfall the barricades would be best as a line, but if we don't want to go too deep (lighting issue for humans) then I'd say
1st one between the lowest left green area and the gray rubble touching the wall to prevent flanking
2nd between the rubble and rightmost lowest green area
3rd between that same green and the wall

Lighting the area should be a priority (that's where celestial brilliance comes in) - but dispelling it is a possibility and we need alternatives so torches on all vertical surfaces

Oil (as available) in all depressions so if ghouls try the "easier" way they burn

If the light is not a problem, the best position would be around the middle of the map in that choke point...we could have archers above on both sides with a small contingent of protectors with shields.

I would also say that not a single real human should be visible initially since we're expecting a barrage of spells first. So...Phar could make an illusion of manned barricades? And real humans could be nearby behind the stagmites

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
If we're limited to 30 ft worth of palisade, we'll need to place them deeper inside the cave, like so:

(Feel free to disagree with me / discuss this. This is just my opinion.)

78AF80A1-C450-42D4-B183-AF51302CC3AF.jpeg

Remove ads