Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
All options seem fine by me, but I think it needs to be said that the pallisades can be broken. Particularly by the troll. So their positions will help at first, but I think they won't last long.

Either way, I assume Caerth's snare and spike growth spells have been placed in front of the pallisades for maximum effect. Perhaps snare can be cast to the side for when an enemy inevitably tries to get around the blockade?

Flaming sphere is a fun burning bowling ball (although without the force) for hindering the front attacker, thereby blocking the way for the rest of the group. :)

Snare:
Level:Rgr 2, Drd 3
Components:V, S, DF
Casting Time:3 rounds
Range:Touch
Target:Touched nonmagical circle of vine, rope, or thong with a 2 ft. diameter + 2 ft./level
Duration:Until triggered or broken
Saving Throw:None
Spell Resistance:No
This spell enables you to make a snare that functions as a magic trap. The snare can be made from any supple vine, a thong, or a rope. When you cast snare upon it, the cordlike object blends with its surroundings (Search DC 23 for a character with the trapfinding ability to locate). One end of the snare is tied in a loop that contracts around one or more of the limbs of any creature stepping inside the circle.
If a strong and supple tree is nearby, the snare can be fastened to it. The spell causes the tree to bend and then straighten when the loop is triggered, dealing 1d6 points of damage to the creature trapped and lifting it off the ground by the trapped limb or limbs. If no such tree is available, the cordlike object tightens around the creature, dealing no damage but causing it to be entangled.
The snare is magical. To escape, a trapped creature must make a DC 23 Escape Artist check or a DC 23 Strength check that is a full-round action. The snare has AC 7 and 5 hit points. A successful escape from the snare breaks the loop and ends the spell.

(Note from JustinCase: It seems the snare spell does not specify a maximum size of a creature caught in it, so it can potentially take out that troll for a round or two. :) )

Spike Growth:
Level:Drd 3, Rgr 2
Components:V, S, DF
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area:One 20-ft. square/level
Duration:1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw:Reflex partial
Spell Resistance:Yes
Any ground-covering vegetation in the spell’s area becomes very hard and sharply pointed without changing its appearance.
In areas of bare earth, roots and rootlets act in the same way. Typically, spike growth can be cast in any outdoor setting except open water, ice, heavy snow, sandy desert, or bare stone. Any creature moving on foot into or through the spell’s area takes 1d4 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.
Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save or suffer injuries to its feet and legs that slow its land speed by one-half. This speed penalty lasts for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC.
Spike growth can’t be disabled with the Disable Device skill.
Note: Magic traps such as spike growth are hard to detect. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a spike growth. The DC is 25 + spell level, or DC 28 for spike growth (or DC 27 for spike growth cast by a ranger).

(Note from JustinCase: This spell severy reduces the speed of many opponents, especially the zombies. That helps a lot in spreading the wave of attackers to a more manageable flow.)

Flaming Sphere:
Level:Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components:V, S, M/DF
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect:5-ft.-diameter sphere
Duration:1 round/level
Saving Throw:Reflex negates
Spell Resistance:Yes
A burning globe of fire rolls in whichever direction you point and burns those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d6 points of fire damage to that creature, though a successful Reflex save negates that damage. A flaming sphere rolls over barriers less than 4 feet tall. It ignites flammable substances it touches and illuminates the same area as a torch would.
The sphere moves as long as you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely stays at rest and burns. It can be extinguished by any means that would put out a normal fire of its size. The surface of the sphere has a spongy, yielding consistency and so does not cause damage except by its flame. It cannot push aside unwilling creatures or batter down large obstacles. A flaming sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell’s range.
Arcane Material Component: A bit of tallow, a pinch of brimstone, and a dusting of powdered iron.

Furthermore, Caerth has the master air spell, which allows him to fly (good) and attack the eagle's rider up close if needed (and of course wild shape). Mass snake's swiftness allows all allies within a 20 feet radius (range is 190 feet for casting) to make a single attack on Caerth's turn, which can really help (NPC) archers with an additional volley.

I'll cast magic fang on Screech when the enemy is in sight (but not yet within reach), because that only lasts 9 minutes. Entangle likewise only lasts 9 minutes, but it would be too much to cast all that before the actual battle, I presume. Giant's wrath, however, makes the three pebbles I picked up earlier magical, and throwing them (a ranged touch attack) transforms them into giant boulders. Seems like a good start for battle. :)

My spell list:
Level 0 (6): create water, create water, detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1 (5): cure light wounds, entangle, magic fang, obscuring mist, speak with animals
Level 2 (5): flaming sphere, lesser restoration, mass snake’s swiftness, master air, summon swarm
Level 3 (4): giant’s wrath, snare, spike growth, spirit jaws
Level 4 (2): dispel magic, ice storm
Level 5 (1): baleful polymorph

Scotley

Hero
I would favor 1 or 3, but really all could work for us. Phar can throw up a wall of fire if we need to change the layout of the field after things start. He will also summon a celestial giant eagle early in the battle to reduce the danger of flying enemies which we know are coming. He has a wand of web with a lot of charges which he can use to slow the enemy as well.

Scotley

Hero
Illusion is not one of Phar's schools. He can cast a 8th level, 6 plus two from paragon. So I can haste up a group of 8. We want to do all 8 I should think. As for light, can we set some of the troops to gathering firewood for some bonfires? Not only will they add light, but terrain control and it will give them something to do to keep their minds of the hoard of undead soon to decent on them.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Knightfall it seems the most expensive gem we have is 160gp...in one IC post I asked the tabaxi for one gem of suitable value (350gp or diamond 1500gp if available - it can be left behind as permanent boon for the settlement)

350gp version is for this fight only - and Maur would pay for it at some point after the battle
There definitely isn't a gem worth 1500 gp in Carnell. The only person in the village who could own such a valuable gem would be Lady Carnell, and she doesn't have anything of that value. The community has a 200 gp limit and 4,100 gp in assets, which I've gone way past for the magic items Lady Pendour just gave the PCs.

However, I will say that there is one, and only one, gem worth 350 gp and that there aren't any more magical resources available to the PCs beyond what they already have. No cure potions. Nothing. The well has run dry.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
#1 puts us (the PCs) in a chokepoint and leaves us with a fallback barricade if/when something goes wrong.
Archers from the sides on the same level so they shoot downwards only against those who fall down into a ravine.
Reminder that those ravines are 100 feet deep straight down. It's a shear drop-off not a slope. The bad guys would have to climb, jump or fly down into those areas.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, I decided that I'm going to need to see more of the area at the top of the map based on your guys tactics, but the new map in the spoiler below is as much I'm going add.

Battle Against the Undead Horde_Expanded.png

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Will Angus have had any inkling that the horde was coming before initiative is required? i.e., would he have had time (a round or two?) to cast his Protection From Elements (Sonic) spell?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Initiative Checks for PCs Allies
Key Individuals
Aureus - Initiative: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
Wieland Bowen: 1D20+1 = [17]+1 = 18
Lady Elisabeth Pendour - Initiative: 1D20 = [15] = 15
Meridith Bowen - Initiative: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14
Syndra Stormraven - Initiative: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13
Henry Hawtrey - Initiative: 1D20+8 = [3]+8 = 11
Sir Ghal Ebal - Initiative: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11

These NPCs will attack on their own and will not hold back. They will work alongside the PCs as best to their abilities. Sir Ghal goes out of his way to stay close to Lady Pendour.

Backup/Support
Scarborax - Initiative: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22
Benedict and Eleanor Stevyn - Initiative: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
Ailward Stepney - Initiative: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19
Samantha Willowchild - Initiative: 1D20-1 = [11]-1 = 10
Temperance Redding - Initiative: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8
Elle Redding - Initiative: 1D20 = [3] = 3

These back characters will not engage in melee until ordered to do so by Sir Ghal or Lady Pendour. They will cast spells as required. Benedict and Eleanor work as a team. She uses her bardic music and he protects her with his bow. The Galas of Inanna watch Lady Pendour's back but will not enter into melee unless Lady Pendour does first. Ailward only takes orders from primarily Sir Ghal or, maybe, Sir Quinn.

BTW, the time for having Ailward cast identify spells is noww over. The PCs are at the cavern and Ailward has three 1st-level spell slots left that he's going to use in the fight. He will cast magic missile three times and then wait for one of the two knights to order him to attack.

Any magical gear not yet identified was left behind in Carnell at the smithy.

The Militia
Dwarven Militia Fighters [x2] - Initiative: 1D20+1 = [3]+1 = 4
Militia Fighters [x4] - Initiative: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
Militia Soldiers - Initiative: 1D20 = [1] = 1

Wow, those are some sucky rolls for the members of the militia. Oh well, they're not the best warriors available to help in this fight, so the defenders will have to make do.

Remove ads