World of Kulan DM
Medium Items
+1 Dagger (CL3)
+1 Heavy Mace (CL3)
Amulet of Health +4 (CL8)
Cape of the Mountebank (CL9)
Ring of Protection +2 (CL6)
Wand of Cat’s Grace [40 charges] (CL5)

Aureus - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Medium Magical Items [DC 25 + caster level]):
1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21
1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23
1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10
1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22

All her rolls failed for the medium items; she isn't likely to succeed for the major items either but I'll roll for them too.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Major Items
+1 Anarchic Thundering Cold Iron Javelin of Returning (CL7)
+1 Heavy Steel Shield of Arrow Deflection (CL5)
+1 Keen Parrying Morningstar of Wounding (CL10)
+1 Unruly Humanbane Falchion (Spinereaver) (CL8)
+2 Morningstar (CL6)
+2 Spell Resistance Chainmail [SR 19] (CL15)
+2 Undead Controlling Light Steel Shield (CL13)
+2 Unholy Warhammer (CL7)
Amulet of Natural Armor +4 (CL12)
Belt of Death (+2 profane bonus to AC; death knell [continuous–10 min./level, cleric (8th)]) (CL8)
Hat of Resistance +3 (CL9)
Profane Mantle of the Caster (+2 profane bonus to saves; bonus 5th-level spell) (CL6)
Ring of Minor Electricity Resistance (CL3)
Robe of Protection (+4 deflection bonus to AC) (CL12)
Shadow Longblade (+2 longsword) (CL9)

Aureus - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Major Magical Items [30 + caster level]):
1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12
1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24
1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10
1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22
1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11
1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20
1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25
1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21

Nope.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Scarborax's Spellcraft is +9, but I will wait and let you guys take a crack at identifying the other items using Spellcraft and detect magic. Remember that a Nat20 is considered a 30.

EDIT: Phar has the best chance, by far.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Other things for the PCs to consider while deciding what to do next...
  • The PCs still haven't figure out who has been blackmailing Lady Pendour. There has been no contact from the blackmailer since the PCs returned with Lord Pendour's body from the island. Could the blackmailer still be out there or was Tarrak the blackmailer?
  • There is the legend of the Ash Witch and her possible connection to Carnell and the death of Lord Garfield "Gar" Ebal (Sir Ghal's father). If she does exist still it could lead to a rise in both lycanthropy and vampirism in the Strandlands.
  • There is also the nearby group of isolationist monks who live along the coastline north of Carnell. Gangrell advised Sir Quinn not to disturb them. With the catfolk scribe's death, you cannot ask him anything else and Lady Pendour won't talk about it.
  • The health of Lorien. He and Aeron will have arrived at Fort Symas by now. Has he been healed of his magical infliction and how did it happen? Did someone curse him? Or is there another cause?
  • Aeron's mysterious past and what he might not have told Caerth.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Two members of the militia are stabilized but at negative hps: Kibreana and another nameless fighter, but let's call him Enoch.

Aureus and Thorvid are fragile.

Aries, Atriline, Bothild, Ghal, Lillie, Mabon, Timmins, Urshor, Wieland, and three other members of the militia are fighting off death. No names for them yet.

Alright, CLW charges for all! 😀

Spinereaver isn't an inherently evil weapon from a statistical point of view. It isn't intelligent, and it's not unholy. The main issue is that it is a humanbane weapon. Using it wouldn't be an evil act but there would be stigma attached to any character that chooses to use it. Tarrak did say (I think) that he had the weapon forged for him, so the weapon doesn't have a long history. If the PCs don't brag about what the weapon can do, it might not become well known. However, the human citizens of Carnell know the truth, and they may resent anyone who uses a weapon that is designed to kill humans. Selling it as is probably would be a bad idea. It could end up in the hands of someone much worse than Tarrak.

Still, it is just a magical weapon that does a scary amount of damage. Don't forget what it looks like too.

I think Caerth could keep it, more as a warning that he is a guardian of nature and Carnell, than to actually use it. (I don't think he's proficient, anyway.)

If it comes down to it and you guys can't decide who gets what, you can always choose to dice for items... within reason. Once someone has gained one of the better items, then they don't get the option for the lesser items. would you guys prefer to do the rolling yourselves or have me do it?

I would want to make sure there are no hard feelings.

I'm fine with rolling.

Yes, rest is a given for the PCs and NPCs. The bad guys dealt a lot of damage and spells must be recovered. A full days rest is required for new class abilities to become active, IMO. It really should be longer.

As well, the identification of the magic items takes a while depending on how many identify spells can be cast by the PCs and/or NPCs. Yes, I am willing to let you guys know what you have out of game, but that won't mean the PCs can just begin using the items carte blanche in game without magically identifying them. (I'm not going to be a hard a$$ about it, but there should be a reasonable amount of time that passes for the identification of the items. There is a lot of power and wealth in those items.)

The potions and Azurak don't need to be identified this way. Potions can be identified using Spellcraft (rolls not required) and Angus became aware of Azurak's powers the moment he picked up the great mace.

Identify requires "a pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting." I forgot that when I had Ailward cast identify on the other items that the PCs captured on the island. He does not have the Eschew Materials feat but that doesn't matter for the required pearls.

Note, Ailward can cast identify up to 6 times per day, but he has no pearls left.

Scarborax does not know identify or have any pearls to give the PCs.

While the PCs have a lot of gems (minus the gem Maur used for celestial brilliance), only one of them is a pearl (and is only worth 11 gp). You can have them take their gems (or other items) to Belporte and trade them for pearls, but doing that could draw unwanted attention. News/rumors will spread that the PCs are looking for pearls and most arcanists who hear about them hunting for pearls will figure out why. Canny thieves might also come looking for them if they think the PCs are flush with wealth and magic items. (The PCs don't have to worry about that in Carnell; they are considered beloved heroes in the village now.)

The PCs are near the sea, so they could go hunting for pearls on their own but that idea comes with its own risks. The local fishers would know the best places to search and they could help try to find pearls, but it will take time and a lot of work. The PCs will have to compensate them.

Phar can cast identify as well. He could cast it up to 6 times per day, as well, if he only uses 1st-level spell slots. He can choose to memorize the spell with all his higher level spell slots, which means that with enough pearls (and wine) he could identify most of the important items in one day. If @Scotley chooses to do this then Phar will need another day to re-relearn his spells (and recover from drinking so much wine). ;)

In his current state, Galzadar isn't inclined to tell you anything about his magic items. Eutharic is willing to help tell the PCs about any items that don't belong to his master, but he can't magically identify anything for the PCs.

(Thus, the PCs will have a general idea of what each item can do and what might be useful to them. Eutharic only knows the command word for the wand of cat's grace. Like I said, I'm not going to be a hard a$$ about it.)

Phar doesn't need to cast identify to be able to know that Galzadar's spellbook is a Boccob's blessed book. That is obvious just by looking at it. He will have to use read magic to learn/copy any spells from it, however.

Trial and error will also tell the PCs that the Confessor's javelin cannot be used by anyone lawfully inclined and that his warhammer is unholy.

It might be easier to try to find an arcanist who can craft the PCs a wand of identify, or they can try to find one to buy. Carnell is too small a community to have such an item for sale. Neither Ailward nor Scarborax can craft wands and Phar doesn't have that feat either.

Buying a wand would be nice. In the meantime I'm sure Caerth can enlist sea otters (for example) to help find pearls.

Heh. You really want to put the beat down on those two. :)

While divinations are the best options to tracking them down, don't forget that Caerth can track them too (if divinations aren't 100% clear and when are they ever). It will become harder the longer the PCs wait, however.

@JustinCase, roll Search check to find the right prints leading away from the smithy and out of the village. (Aureus will use Aid Another.)

Beyond Carnell, for tracking (Survival check) there are only trails not roads. The ground is considered to be firm ground (unless it rains). That's a base DC 15. Add to that at least 1 to the DC for 24 hours of time since the trail was made.

I will check randomly to see if there has been any rain since the trail was made. (I'll post that a bit later on today.)

I want to try to get an IC post up first.

I think Galzadar is a beacon for evil, so I think a possibility is splitting up. Caerth and Phar treating the star elf and catching up through those nifty druid transport spells. 😀 Only problem is, Caerth is the best tracker...

Anyway, rolls:

Search and Survival: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
1D20+19 = [16]+19 = 35

Each PC/NPC recovers 1 hp per character level with a full night's rest (at least 8 uninterrupted hours). It is twice a character's level in hps for entire day and night of bed rest. (So, 22 hps for the 11th-level PCs and 20 hps for Aureus if you go the full 24 hours of bed rest.)

Remember that some of the PCs and NPCs also took Constitution damage from the cloudkill spell.
(Ailward and Henry both took Con damage.)
So, despite the rush, I suggest the complete rest.

Does ability damage fade with time, or does it require magic?

OOC: Do the PCs rest a full 24 hours (full bed rest) or only 8 hours?

Also, a decision has to be made to decide what to do first. Do the PCs go after Eike and Xander first? Do they go to try to find out the fate of Sir Gareth and Quinten first? Do they help Galzadar first? Do they go back to Gurnard's Head and deal with any undead that have risen first?

Or do they do something else?

@Neurotic has cast his vote. :D
Going after Eike and Xander is also my idea, but like I said, I hope to do somrthing about Galzadar, too.

Other things for the PCs to consider while deciding what to do next...
  • The PCs still haven't figure out who has been blackmailing Lady Pendour. There has been no contact from the blackmailer since the PCs returned with Lord Pendour's body from the island. Could the blackmailer still be out there or was Tarrak the blackmailer?
  • There is the legend of the Ash Witch and her possible connection to Carnell and the death of Lord Garfield "Gar" Ebal (Sir Ghal's father). If she does exist still it could lead to a rise in both lycanthropy and vampirism in the Strandlands.
  • There is also the nearby group of isolationist monks who live along the coastline north of Carnell. Gangrell advised Sir Quinn not to disturb them. With the catfolk scribe's death, you cannot ask him anything else and Lady Pendour won't talk about it.
  • The health of Lorien. He and Aeron will have arrived at Fort Symas by now. Has he been healed of his magical infliction and how did it happen? Did someone curse him? Or is there another cause?
  • Aeron's mysterious past and what he might not have told Caerth.

All interesting leads, and I'm glad to have them all in one place. They are not our priorities now, however.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur has spellcraft +7 so low chance for even medium items :)
But there are spells to increase intelligence and particular skills as well. And there could be monsters for summoning that would have something like that.

I will look over the items we all asked for and make a list, maybe it shows some items prefered by one person or that there is 'if this than that' combinations

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
So, despite the rush, I suggest the complete rest.
Maur has magical sleeping bag, he recovers as fast as if he had complete rest - and with healers (including him) everyone should be fairly well recovered.
Going after Eike and Xander is also my idea, but like I said, I hope to do somrthing about Galzadar, too.
We should go immediately after divinations - we can survive and recover while we track

Remove ads